Recips

Help Support Steer Planet:

KyMar Angus

Anyone know where I can find some recips? I bought some good quality embryo's and want to implant them. I'm in N/C, but don't care if I have to ship.
God bless

BadgerFan

There's far less magic to recip cows than many believe.  You just need a cow that can retain a pregnancy, deliver a reasonable sized calf and milk well enough to allow the calf to express it's genetic potential.  Ideally, she'd hold her flesh well and cycle back to do it again next year.  You should be able to find this type of cow from several commercial cattlemen in your local area.  Give them a premium to let you take your pick and I'm sure you'll both end up happy.  Heck, he might even end up coming back to buy a bull from you someday.

wph119

Call Clear Creek Farms.  Dave and Karen Steiner.  217 269-3104.  You can ship him the eggs and then pick up the pregnant recips.  I can't remeber the price but they get some pretty good cows for their recip business. www.clearcreekfarms2.com

KyMar Angus

Thanks to everyone. I have contacted some of the people you recommended.

If you know of anymore let me know. I would prefer to ship the embryo's and then pick up a weened calf. If you know anyone that fits that bill that won't try to rob me let me know. Thanks again!

WJ Farms

You can call Ovagenix in Texas they have a weaned calf program and you pay in stages but it does not exceed 1400$ then you go pick up the weaned calf..........might be what you are looking for

CJB

KyMar Angus said:
Thanks to everyone. I have contacted some of the people you recommended.

If you know of anymore let me know. I would prefer to ship the embryo's and then pick up a weened calf. If you know anyone that fits that bill that won't try to rob me let me know. Thanks again!

Not sure where you are located, but you might want to check with Larry Shafer of Shafer Farms in Eaton, OH.  He used to have a weaned calf program.

Mueller Show Cattle

I have been looking at Trans Ova Genetics and the different way they can do it with Recips. I'm sure there are benefits to both the picking up the bred recip and then the picking up a live calf program. With the calf program you don't have the cost of hay all winter or pregnancy period. But with the bred recip you have a recip at the end of the pregnancy to reuse. I have not got prices but I'm sure they get a good price for the recips which is over market value. Wanted to see what program people like to use and why. Just trying to see which program would work best for me as we are getting into the embryo transfer for club calves. But I like both of those programs cause you just ship them your embryos and the implant them and you either pick up the pregnant recip or pick up a live calf. Thanks for any advice or information.

steerpimp

I raise ET calves for a couple of breeders.
I charge 75 per implant; that alol oes to the vet. Then. 200. Kover market per calf. But I am probably booked up unless my guys have bad luck getting embryos next year.