record books

Help Support Steer Planet:

orwell

Does all the other 4Hers have to do them. Personally I hate them!!! :mad: :mad:

bjs

I have to, but I personally think they are a waste of time because your 4-H leader is probably the only person to look at them after you fill them out.  The 4-H office in the county probably just looks at them and throws them away, but that's how it goes...

GoWyo

It is helpful to see how much money you lose on club calf projects.  :eek:  Especially for parents.

vet tech

I got to do them! front to cover and it is the biggest pain in the butt! It counts towards our skillathon score so i have to do well on it! our county is very strict abou them....at least for steers

willie

In our county if you want to sell your Market project it is Mandatory that they be completed (fully completed), if it is not your animal is pulled from the sale order. They are judged by 4-H leaders from surrounding counties, they go through them to make sure that the  math adds up correctly etc. The kids are graded and receive premium monies for their effort. Comments good, bad and ugly are made in the book so that members and parents alike know what they like and dislike. It doesn't matter if it is the steers or hogs they almost always comment that the stock, feed or both cost too much. I tell the kids the first part of the equation is good genetics, the other is quality feed and management. Our kids actually look forward to doing their record books.

Davis Shorthorns

my advice with record books is not to complain about them and just do them.  (mom always got really upset with us when we would complain about them) I had to do them every year I was in 4H. 

shortyjock89

I never had to do them for 4H, but had to do them for FFA, they weren't too bad since I keep detailed records of everything anyhow. 

box6rranch

We have to do them too in order to show. The dumb thing is we have to turn them in about three weeks before fair so you have to guesstimate on projection sales price.

bjs

I hope you guys didn't think I was complaining...I agree about the money...I always owe my dad, and I wasn't speaking for all counties, but that's what I've experienced in my area

I wasn't aware of how strict some counties are...

SKF

to show at our fairs you have to turn in a completed record book at check in or you go home. My kids hate doing them and it is a pain getting them to do them.

Dusty

We had to do them every year, but we didn't turn them in until after the fair.  We always just used market prices for the projects we bought and the for a standard commercial ration at the time.  We never put down what we actually paid for anything.  There are too many people that see the record books to put in there what was actually paid for an animal.  If someone saw that you paid a $125 for a pig they would think that was outrageous....

AAOK

Precise and Proper record keeping is mandatory for the success of any business.  Learning the importance at a young age, and appreciating the diligence it takes will be invaluable in the future.  4-H offers many college scholarship opportunities, and your record books will make the difference in whether of not you are selected.  The records are also used to determine who gets invited to the Wash. D.C. trip.  Learn to be patient and persistant .

HT

I LOVE record books!! They teach you record keeping and business skills that you need for the future, if you plan on running a business or doing your taxes..etc.. For our county and state fairs you have to do a recordbook for your heifers, mature cows, bulls, steers, hogs, goats, chickens, rabbits, etc.... Anything you plan on showing you have to do one in order to show. I always get 1st or 2nd in the contest, and i enjoy doing them because you can find your break even price and if you actually made something or are deep in the red.. I understand that they can be a pain, I always start mine as soon as i get my calf, or figure out who i am showing. Then even if i don't have the recordbook yet, i start writing down everything that i spent, skills i have learned, take pics.. etc..But with my FFA recordbooks, we make them ourselves so i start making the recordbooks then, but 4-H recordbooks we wait to get them in so i write everything down. It is a lot easier to complete a FFA recordbook, and 4-H recordbooks are fun too!! Just if you get stuck look at your last year recordbook comments!! I promise it WILL come in handy one day!!

herfchic

I never have done a 4H book, but my ag final in high school was always my FFA record book.  I never liked the way it was set up.  It was more for market animals and not for the show heifer business. 

SlickTxMaine

My son is in FFA, our show is the last weekend in February and the record books must be completed and turned in no later than April 30th, or you do not recieve your sales check!  (or have to wait for it longer)

jason

I used to muddle mine together that day before it was due, never won any rewards for my bookkeeping.