Red Angus Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

So. I have a heifer who is very long bodied, has some good depth to her, but I would like her offspring to be more feminine with a longer neck, pretty head, and wider front end (her legs are kind of close together). I would also like her offspring to have a better shoulder, not one so straight, and a straight back with a cleaner front end.. you know, just overall more feminine. Does anyone know of a bull that has these feminine traits???

BTDT

Without a photo it is pretty tough to recommend a bull.
Hamley will add guts, but will downsize at least 2 frame scores. Also not super pretty from the shoulders forward.
Sakic will add femininity but will also downsize. He will add some eye appeal.
Ole's Oscar might fit all your requirements with an emphasis on depth and maybe not so much on an extended front end.
5L Tradesman also will fit your requirements but maybe add a bit more eye appeal.

You did not mention what you were trying to produce. Show steer? Replacement females? Show heifers? Feedlot calf?  While you describe an image, you need to explain your goals for your product.
Also, some bloodlines work better than others when crossed. I left mulberry off the list because of his overpriced semen, and the fact he either "clicks" or he "bombs" on certain bloodlines. (And the fact that I think he is past his popularity. JMO)

Happy bull hunting.

BTDT said:
Without a photo it is pretty tough to recommend a bull.
Hamley will add guts, but will downsize at least 2 frame scores. Also not super pretty from the shoulders forward.
Sakic will add femininity but will also downsize. He will add some eye appeal.
Ole's Oscar might fit all your requirements with an emphasis on depth and maybe not so much on an extended front end.
5L Tradesman also will fit your requirements but maybe add a bit more eye appeal.

You did not mention what you were trying to produce. Show steer? Replacement females? Show heifers? Feedlot calf?  While you describe an image, you need to explain your goals for your product.
Also, some bloodlines work better than others when crossed. I left mulberry off the list because of his overpriced semen, and the fact he either "clicks" or he "bombs" on certain bloodlines. (And the fact that I think he is past his popularity. JMO)

Happy bull hunting.

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to produce a feminine looking show heifer out of the heifer I have now. I will post pictures asap.

IMG_7737.jpg

20131110_114619_174636.jpg

20131110_115029_9559.jpg

Here she is.  She has Major League and Cherokee Canyon in her bloodlines.

BTDT

RCR - A 100 pound actual birth weight and just a 590 adj weaning weight with EPD's all below breed average??
Plus 29Z is an UNPROVEN bull with no progeny to back up his data. If he is proven after several years of use in different herds, then I might consider using him on heifers.... until then, I could not in good conscious recommend him.

Just a personal philosophy of mine: Breed heifers to a bull that is proven with enough progeny in different herds and management systems to instill confidence in the data. Every bull I recommend is very well proven. (And, I have absolutely NO monetary interest in any of the mentioned bulls)

If I had to recommend a bull that is not well proven, but yet old enough to have progeny, you might look at LSF Conqueror, super epd's, 50K proven, a pedigree that is proven, and if you look him up online, he has COMPLETE performance data including scan data.  I will probably use him some myself this coming year.

MLB - Since your aim is replacement show heifer I would lean toward Sakic (his maternal legacy is HUGE). 

Just some of my thought and theories for what they are worth. Again, happy hunting.

RedCowsRule

Although I will preface by saying that I do have an interest in the bull myself, I wouldn't be afraid to try WEBR TC Card Shark 1015 on her.  The set that TC/Weber/Zehnder had at NAILE were certainly impressive.  We have had good luck with him on a variety of cows, with one flush out of our Perks 41R donor producing a bull that stood Reserve in his Division at NAILE last year and a flushmate bull that was 3rd over all breeds in gain at the Indiana Bull Test.

The Reserve Grand Heifer at NAILE was a February baby that was out of him and raised in northern Indiana.  He is realitively young and not as proven yet with his first crop to calve this coming spring, but all indications that I have seen make me think he would work in your scenario.

Show Dad

You may not find what you need from a heifer bull but their are blood lines that can tell you if you're headed in the right direction.

I would suggest trying RCR's Walkerton bull to see if the Mulberry blood line gets you what you want. I would also suggest Bieber Makin Hay. One I'm looking at using next spring is Tree Lane Perfect Storm.

For the second calf I would suggest JKC Huckleberry. He will give you the femininity and nice neck you're looking for.

JMHO
SD
<alien>

Red Cow Relocators

BTDT - I took the picture down because obviously it somehow offends you anytime I post anything. After 30+ years in the Red Angus business it is becoming quite obvious that I know nothing about the breed or cattle. Obviously your knowledge far exceeds mine. I would love to see you post some of your animals that I'm sure are far superior to any others that have been posted. Keep believing whole heartedly in the Holy Grail of EPDs and breed your cattle accordingly, they are obviously much more important that structural correctness, good feet and legs. FYI - I bred nearly all of my heifers to him.

Mill Iron A

I would agree with TC Card Shark, One that is proven and a little extreme in terms of low bw but would def. do what you wanted feminine wise is LCC Above and Beyond. Another would be a son of his red global trust 21t. Depending on how big she is and what condition ( I couldn't get the pic to pull up) you could consider TJS Berry Cherry 8801. Just some thoughts.

Mill Iron A

btw-RCR-before you took the pic down I got to see him and that is one good footed heavy muscled bull. Just curious, he was an ET baby wasn't he?

Red Cow Relocators

SD said:
You may not find what you need from a heifer bull but their are blood lines that can tell you if you're headed in the right direction.

I would suggest trying RCR's Walkerton bull to see if the Mulberry blood line gets you what you want. I would also suggest Bieber Makin Hay. One I'm looking at using next spring is Tree Lane Perfect Storm.

For the second calf I would suggest JKC Huckleberry. He will give you the femininity and nice neck you're looking for.

JMHO
SD
<alien>
Gary, an FYI, Walkerton is off of the open market

BTDT

RCR - Your post do not offend me at all. Every person likes a different type of cattle and that is fine by me; less bidding competition!  I knew your family back in the 80's and 90's and even your taste in cattle have evolved.
What I take issue in is people having hidden agenda's when promoting a bull. If you want to recommend a bull, then by all means do so, but also volunteer you have a financial interest in the bull, or that you own him. Simple enough in my book.
If your 30+ years count for something, then my 30+ years should be relevant also.  I have also been a member of the RAA for those 30+ years without interruption.  Heck, I was even in the stands at the Iowa State Fair when they hosted the National Red Angus Show.  Very interesting show to say the least.

I had no issue with the bull photo. In fact, it was a nice photo.  I do not show, nor do I much talent for fat and fluffy. I also sell out of bulls and females every year, so I am doing what works for me and my customers. A photo of an unclipped, crap balled hip hair, in pasture condition can not be compared to a fat and fluffy photo, nor should it be, but it would and again, that is ok, but would serve no real purpose. 
I encourage you to go ahead and share your opinion from your experience, as that is after all, what people seek on here; everyone's opinion. All I ask is that you disclose that you own the bull or that you have a financial interest in the bulls you are promoting.

I do question why you would recommend an unproven bull with a 100 pound birth weight for a first time heifer.  Seems like a good way to NOT have a second calf heifer.  While some might discount actual information on ET calves, I firmly believe that it should make no difference. I know of breeders that put their embryos into small, under fed cow herds to try and get small birth weights. But, to each their own.

I used Makin Hay, and the cattle are nice, very performance orientated, but probably not the most eye appealing for show.

All the suggestions given will give MLB plenty to research and investigate. I wish them well in their decision.

CAB

OK, while we're talking about CE Red Angus bulls, I think, what do you all think about Cross Diamonds "HC" theory?

Mill Iron A

I think there is some merit to this, however, I would never want it to be a common practice because I can already see the "curvebender" bulls that would come out of that train wreck....tiny heads and big bodies! Haha, sure it has some effect but little head with big shoulders still equals c section. I do like cross diamond though and how they run their cattle.

So, one bull I am looking into is Northline Fat Tony. Thoughts? I really need to clean up her front end. Please keep in mind she is a show heifer for breeding beef, and her daughter will be also.

**Is there any way to "spin" the semen to assure it will be a heifer?**

Here's my heifer...

Attachments

• IMG_7737.jpg
    IMG_7737.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 20131110_114619_174636.jpg
    20131110_114619_174636.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 20131110_115029_9559.jpg
    20131110_115029_9559.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 181

aj

What happened to the colt 45 bull......seen a couple sons......possibbly Beckton colt 45.