red angus heifers~opinions welcome

Help Support Steer Planet:

squirt71

We rough clipped our red angus show calves this weekend so we can see their progress a little better. These are just a few pictures, the other 2 open heifers didn't want to stand real well for pictures. Opinions welcome

We're debating on whether or not to kick this one out of the show pen: February heifer
IMG_1301-1.jpg

February heifer
IMG_1267-1.jpg

Bred heifer:
IMG_1262-1.jpg

Bred heifer: We're increasing the beet pulp in her feed to make her look fuller, she lost some condition when we brought her back from pasture.
IMG_1222-1.jpg

Group butt shot minus the 1st bred:
IMG_1231.jpg

aandtcattle

Damn nice cattle!  I wouldnt kick that first heifer out of the show pen just yet.  She looks like she has some promise to me.  Who are you/ where are you located.  (clapping)

CAB

They all look great Courtney. I am still planning on making it up to visit your Dad. The top 2 are Fat Tony's right? Brent

squirt71

CAB said:
They all look great Courtney. I am still planning on making it up to visit your Dad. The top 2 are Fat Tony's right? Brent
The top one is a Norseman King heifer, the 2nd is a Fat Tony ET.  The other Fat Tony heifer wouldn't stand for pictures, she was too busy trying to chase the dogs.

squirt71

aandtcattle said:
Damn nice cattle!  I wouldnt kick that first heifer out of the show pen just yet.  She looks like she has some promise to me.  Who are you/ where are you located.  (clapping)
We're located approx. 15 miles north of Blair, NE.  Our website is on my profile.

Show Dad

Squirt I like the heifers. Especially the FT! But my experience with NK's are they continue to get course (stale) as they age. They make great cows but for the show ring you might be better to kick her out to the pasture. But I would really like to see a FT calf out of her. With the NK's it's the calves you get out of them that count. Just my opinion (and I could be wrong).

squirt71

SD said:
Squirt I like the heifers. Especially the FT! But my experience with NK's are they continue to get course (stale) as they age. They make great cows but for the show ring you might be better to kick her out to the pasture. But I would really like to see a FT calf out of her. With the NK's it's the calves you get out of them that count. Just my opinion (and I could be wrong).
We decided we'll keep her in the pen til show registration time before kicking her out.  She's one of those heifers where one time you look at her she looks great, and the next - just above average.  Maybe another more month of feed will change that. We haven't had much for issues with NK's being coarse, they've just been more broody looking than showy looking.  That heifer's dam is super long and smooth, so we're hoping she'll look more like her. 

squirt71

We did a final clip before the show this weekend.  I wasn't able to get a good pic of everybody, they were too busy exploring the pasture after we kicked them out to get them to loosen up a little before heading out to Denver. 

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2124-2.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

ruhtram

I like your females! Where are you going to show those heifers at?

CAB

Looks like they have been doing well since we saw them Courtney. Good luck @ the Western. Brent