red hairs?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dvrom

I have a black crossbred heifer that is starting to get some red hairs on her body and her legs. Is there some way to fix this or prevent more from coming? and is it still okay to paint her legs black for fitting them?

WB

Hair dye, I have had a lot of luck with Sullivans Black Velvet.
And I cant see a problem with fitting the legs

mick rems

keep her out of the sun completely. its getting bleached by the sun, our hair gets lighter too if we spend time in the sunlight. prolly dye her if your getting close to a show. otherwise keep running a shedder comb through her it may help if some of those hairs are dieing. also some of it will prolly clip off when clipping her for a show.

shortii

Pretty much everyone uses hair dye and as for painting legs 9 times out of 10 you can but if you are worried about it check the rules

mick rems

i use the shedding comb, cus i usually don't have the money to spend on dyeing them, and i rarely need to anyways.

Hyper Intake

mick rems said:
i use the shedding comb, cus i usually don't have the money to spend on dyeing them, and i rarely need to anyways.

I dont know what kind of dye you use, but you can get a bottle of dye for one calf cheaper than you can get the shedding comb

cattleboy

is the hair actually turning colors or is it just dieing? when the black hair dies, it will turn a reddish brown. if thats the case, the shedder comb should take care of the problem. If it is legit red hair coming in, and its distracting or taking away from the calf, you can dye it. I'm planning on dying my March heifer with in the next week for her first show. She was black when she was born but now shes turning brown. I went to WalMart and got the cheapest hair dye they had. I had to get 5 boxes but if its just one spot then you should only need one box.

Bradenh

could be a mineral defficiency as well, some  of our cows in the pasture will turn red on their shoulders and we have always solved that with changing the mineral program

Cattle Cards

You also might of hit on it when you said she was a black "crossbred" heifer.  What is her pedigree?  I had a black Heat Wave X Meyer X Angus.  Heat Wave has some Shorthorn in his lineage and Meyer was a Black Simmental (both his paternal and maternal grand sires were red bulls).  She had highlights and areas that were brown or reddish in color.  I never worried about it.  If it's on her legs and you bone and build up the legs, you're going to finish with touch up black that cover it all in the end anyway.  If it's on her body, dying can help as others suggested.  Again, check the rules for the show(s).  I wouldn't rule out what others have suggested.  You want to make sure she is healthy, getting everything she needs and that the hair is healthy.  Then go from there.  Best of luck.
<cowboy>

mick rems

Hyper Intake said:
mick rems said:

I dont know what kind of dye you use, but you can get a bottle of dye for one calf cheaper than you can get the shedding comb

well you need the shedding comb anyway. and its not like a shedding comb is a one time only thing. the comb stays with my blowers or in my tackbox as i use it at least once a week to make sure that there is no dead hair in my cattle. and it takes more than one bottle of dye to dye a 1300 lbs. steer, just saying. we've never dyed our animals. we never had to.

Bulldaddy

Show stopper 95 said:
could be a mineral deficiency as well, some  of our cows in the pasture will turn red on their shoulders and we have always solved that with changing the mineral program

I thinkShow Stopper95 has a good point.  Red hair on black cattle can be caused by a copper deficiency.  I used to have that problem with my black Simmental and simmi cross cows.  After I started using a mineral that contained chelated copper, the problem went away.  Chelated copper is an organic form of copper that is more readily apsorbed than other forms of copper.