Registered and Purebred Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cada22

At what point do you start registering and selling purebred stock with your farm titles and distinction in their registered names? I am looking at trying for ET calves to be born in 2018 but don't feel like I have true credit for breeding them as my own stock. My opinion is that I should breed and raise the heifer then her offspring should be reflected as my own stock. Or a home raised bull that I keep replacements from maybe. Any thoughts?

b_kackley

If the embryo's are out of a cow you own then you have to start somewhere. If they were purchased then I see your point, but most people look at the pedigrees, and the animal. I look at the pedigrees and go from there. My advice on cows is do not get crazy with names. Keep a common name for that family. Like if the cow the embryos are from is named Della 2000 then every heifer you have from her is Della just a different #(Della 2017). The prefix attached will matter less and the cow family name more. Prefixes on Bulls seem to carry a little more weight in some areas. Again when naming them you may want to keep a common theme with their sire. This also helps. Just my thoughts. There are a lot of people on here who sell many bulls. I am sure they will have some good advice.

RyanChandler

Depends on if you want to be recognized as a breeder or a multiplier.  There's plenty of folks out there sticking their prefix on other people's breeding but for me personally,  I want to be able to look at a pedigree and it be clear that there's a breeding program behind the prefix I'm buying.

cbcr

When it comes to ET calves each registry has different rules.  Most will have the prefix of the breeder that the embryos were purchased from.  Others have a form that the seller can sign giving the new owner permission to to use their own prefix.

When animals are purchased in dam, most generally the offspring carries the prefix of the breeder.

Check what the registry rules have.

Cada22

Great info. Thank you very much. I have not joined registry yet because we haven't made decision between going Angus or Simm yet. Guess we will have better direction when we decide which way the farm is going to go