Releif in Texas?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Woody

I dont watch a lot of TV but I caught a report last night about the drought you guys are going through, I knew it was going on but I didnt realize it was so severe.  Did any of you get any rain at all last week?

twistedhshowstock

We got maybe a 1/2" here in extreme east texas on saturday, every little bit helps, but it didnt really make a dent in how dry it is, wildfires still raging. But at least the grass had a slightly greenish tent to it for a day or so before it turned brown and crunchy again

easttex

We got NO rain what so ever. I had to move cows the other day because wild fires were heading our way. Have some good friends that we had help bc the fires were actually on there place. Scary stuff!!!

JSchroeder

Where do you move your cattle when that happens?  I assume it's small herds?

I started thinking about it myself and how we could take some cattle in but then realized we're sending about 3-4 a week to the auction barn right now because of a lack of grazing as it is.

A.I.GUY

Our thoughts and prayers are for you guys to get rain, hope everyone can hang in there. I remember how dry it was here in 1988 and 1989 and I dont think it even compares to what you have, I know back then the state of Iowa wasn't having massive wildfires to go with it. May God bless Texas and everywhere else in the southern U.S. that is suffering from this drought!!

cowcrazy

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. We are close to San Antonio and have not had any rain in over a year. It is very sad to see ranchers who have dedicated their whole life to trying to keep good genetics in their herd, now faced with having to haul them to the sale barn because there is no grass and IF you can find hay, a round bale will set you back $130! Now wildfires are a threat. All we can do is pray and try to stay positive.

vc

A buddy of mine has been working out in Franklin Texas, building a home for his parents, he was telling me (besides how darn hot it was) about the line of trucks at the sales yard every day. I feel for you all and hope hope the weather turns for you soon.

dimebag

VC , I live in Franklin Texas .. Its really bad here , my pasture is mostly just dirt now . I've only had a half inch of rain in the past 100 days .

Woody

130 for a round bale!!  I hope it is a 1 ton bale!  Hopefully all of you can catch some type of precip soon.  I wouldnt wish that type of weather on anybody.

cowcrazy

They are not even big round bales 4X5's.  Square bales of hay are going for $10.50 with a limit of 3! Cattle cubes (20%) are $10.50 for 50 lbs. The sale barns are so full I have heard that they have had to cut off the number of people bringing cattle in. On an up note, there are some awesome cattle for sale if anybody up north is looking!

nobody

Just watching the news and fires in smith county and yantis are being investigated for arson.  Witnesses in Smith co. saw a man throwing burning socks into brush!!  As for hay...we found some in Louisiana a few weeks ago for 35 a roll plus 33 a roll to ship.  We ordered a truck load and the day before it was to be shipped they called and said the hay had gone up to 69 a roll plus the 33 a roll to ship. :mad:

JSchroeder

What's crazy is the cow prices are staying up.  The sale in Nixon last Saturday was pretty darn strong for anything with above average quality.

chiangus

nobody said:
Just watching the news and fires in smith county and yantis are being investigated for arson.  Witnesses in Smith co. saw a man throwing burning socks into brush!!  As for hay...we found some in Louisiana a few weeks ago for 35 a roll plus 33 a roll to ship.  We ordered a truck load and the day before it was to be shipped they called and said the hay had gone up to 69 a roll plus the 33 a roll to ship. :mad:

WTH is wrong with people.  :-\

Lock him up and throw away the key.

Bradenh

we have wild fires all around us, smell of smoke keeps us all up ,got all my things packed up ready to take off at any minute with the calves, the fire in bastdrop...... well the only thing i can say it looks like, is a vivid imagination of hell

luannv8

htttp://beefmagazine.com/photo-gall...f our place ....taken about two weeks ago.

outlawcattlecompany

I'm in Northeast Texas, close to the Bear Creek blaze that is completely out of control. We baled a total of 4 bales this year and that was in june. I can't remember the last time we got any kind of significant rainfall...must've been april or early may. Our pond is a puddle now. It's painful to see the land like this. I've had to cull down to my bare minimum herd and STILL buy 2 truckloads of hay..and at gouging prices. This was the hottest and driest summer EVER in Texas. Tough times folks

cowcrazy

We baled over 250 round bales in our first and only cutting in the spring of 2010. We will not get a single bale this year, AND we have had to put hay out all summer because there is nothing to eat but dirt. To top it off, cattle cubes went from $10.50 to $11.25 over night. Sale barn here we come...

Woody

If you could afford to ship it from Michigan i would make you a great deal on some round bales.  I hope nobody has to go through what you guys have had to deal with again.