Replacement heifer mangement help

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakview

I just listened to an "expert" predict $7+ corn and $15+ soybeans, this from the same station that instructed grain producers last June to have all their marketing done by July 1, 2010.  So, many of our grain producer customers took their recommendation and sold corn for $3.75 and beans for $8.50.  However, I think they're right this time and I can no longer afford to carry $6.50 worth of grain to my replacement heifers every time I walk across the yard, especially when I make four trips a day.  I have 13 mostly March-April heifer calves I want to keep for replacement.  We live right in the middle of corn country, so it never really seemed to be an issue to feed the heifers well until pasture time, about May 1 in our area.  I would like some information from those of you who grow out heifers on a less aggressive ration.  The heifers are currently getting all the alfalfa/orchard grass hay they want, about 15 pounds of corn/hd/day, and protein.  Cornstalk bedding is provided.  I would estimate the heifers average about 700-750 pounds.  Should I cut feed to 10 pounds/hd/day, 5 lbs., none at all?  Another alternative is to sell them all, but I have finally rebuilt my genetics to where I want them since our sale 7 years ago.  I'd hate to try to buy replacements.  I'm interested in mangement advice, not genetic advice.  The cow herd is getting corn stalk bales and very low quality hay plus range blocks and are in very satisfactory comdition and maintain their condition very well with few exceptions.  Productivity is very good, etc.  I just would like some input on lowering the cost of turning my replacement heifers into cows from those who do it in an effective, inexpensive manner.

HAB

If they are getting good hay and a protein supplement, I would cut the corn out completely.  You may not even need the protein supplement.  Hay your hay tested it might be all you need.

Will

We are not experts.  But we feed our hiefers a ration that is 1/3 corn gluten 1/3 corn and 1/3 soy hull pellets at a rate of 5# per day.  Plus we feed a high quality hay and free choice minerals.  The good hay is the key for us and we turn them out on grass as soon as we can.

Chap

I would agree with Will.  we are feeding about 7lbs/hd of dry gluten corn mix.  40% CGF, which at limited feeding is ok.  you meet all protein and energy requirement and cheapen the ration.  Free choice decent grass hay and heifers are in good shape.  No need to make them fat before breeding season.

kanshow

We develop a lot of commercial heifers with very little to no corn in the ration.   You need to feed a protien supplement with your grass hay and you'll be fine.   Now remember that these heifers won't be show ring fat,but they will stay in good condition.    

GoWyo

The only heifers that get grain around our place are the show heifers.  Everything else gets free choice grass hay with a little alfalfa fed daily for the protein.  Can't imagine feeding 15 lbs of corn unless I am pushing them to get them cycling earlier than they would otherwise do and not sure that would work much anyway.

Till-Hill

My beef heifers run with my dairy heifers after weaning and get fed 40 lbs of ryelage, 5 lbs cornstalks, 1.1 lbs of dried distillers and a licktub that they will eat up to about a pound a day. Cost of buying all feedstuff costs about $1.50 hd/day.

When we have alot of cornsilage around we use 9 lbs cornsilage, 1 lb dried distillers, 20 lbs of ryelage, 4 lbs of haylage and 3.5 lbs of decent hay all fed in tmr. Only reason there is haylage in this one is to save on distillers.

They won't get fat on this but will be in great shape to go to grass. Been doing beef/dairy heifers on these 2 diets for 10 years. Lost our butts pail feeding them.

HAB

GoWyo said:
The only heifers that get grain around our place are the show heifers.  Everything else gets free choice grass hay with a little alfalfa fed daily for the protein.  Can't imagine feeding 15 lbs of corn unless I am pushing them to get them cycling earlier than they would otherwise do and not sure that would work much anyway.

<beer>

simtal

sell your hay and buy some distillers (5 pounds/hd/day  and give em all the cornstalks they will eat....

cattlefarmer

There is a big difference between western hay and Iowa hay remember that.  My dairying neighbor showed me the test results from his hay and his western hay.  Also with these distillers grains there really should be a balancer fed and as the price of corn goes up so does the price of gluten/distillers grain.  We feed wet gluten, corn silage and corn stalks for filler in a tmr ration.  We replaced 35 acres of hay with corn and chop 10 acres of corn now.  Still money a head and better feed along with the cows and heifers staying in better condition.  I never could make high quality hay so this works better.  We made this switch purely from an economic stand point.  Might not work every where but it does here.  I am lucky to have a choice between wet distillers and wet gluten, but i still choice the gluten because it is less acidic and i think better on the cows.  If i was just feeding fat cattle i might feed the distillers.  This is just opionion of an Iowa cattlefarmer.

hamburgman

Holsteins are grown up on distillers and cornstalks/wheat straw in many cases for their entire unproductive years. You would have to have enough though to use even the dry in decent time.

Top Knot

I'd keep feeding the alfalfa/orchard grass and switch from corn to ddgs. The ddgs aren't a lot cheaper, about $1/cwt, but you can knock out the protein you're feeding and get by with a bare bones mineral as well - maybe just as a carrier for your ionophore of choice. But do not pull that corn out all at once. Change the ration over 2 weeks time to give the rumen population time to adjust.

mlazyj

I guess if you want give them all the hay they want ,but use the grain bucket for a planter . Give them a 30% lick tub and salt . Don't over complicate it .Just grow them not finish.