requirements to be a reciep

Help Support Steer Planet:

King Cattle Co.

I know a receip should be a good milker, quiet, good mother and so on..but I was wondering if they needed any special registration if were using purebred embryos or anything like that...or just choose cow to put eggs in and go from there?

frostback

Just cows with the requirements you mentioned are fine. No papers necessary with the recips.

goodnight

Freddy said:
In the ANGUS somehow they use the receipts EPD'S IF EVERYTHING is registered is the way they told me but might want to check that out if interested ....

The ET calf will get an EPD if the recip dam is registered, and if there is a contemporary group of ET calves from registered recips. Otherwise, the calf gets a pedigree estimated EPD.

I think in a lot of instances the recip is better than the donor.

RyanChandler

Freddy said:
I think in a lot of instances the recip is better than the donor.

Truer words never spoken.  The last two places I went -WHR and M6- both used HUGE Brangus cows-all very similar in type- as recips.  IMO, choosing only a specific breed and type as recips really raises questions as to the superiority of one breed over the other.. at least in their respected environment.  If you're trying to promote the superiority of your breed, I would think it's in your best interest to use that breed as recips.  I don't think it takes much cattle sense to beg the question, "why does breeder X entrust breed A to raise his most valued breed Y calves?" Implicit is that breeder X feels breed A is superior.

If you're using commercial crossbreds as recips obviously this logic is void, but in both cases above, these were very fancy purebred cows being used.