rock salt - capitalism - disgust

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

No I'm not saying that the Cargill product is substandard. I'm saying that if you get to the very base of the logistics of the problem, Cargill owns the salt mines in this country. It doesn't matter whether you get salt in Lyons,Ks, Hutchinson,Ks. Or Freedom,Ok. You'll be dealing with Cargill and you better have your order in well in advance. That can mean years. You don't just drive in and pick up a load of salt. Remember a problem with Lysine?

knabe

xxcc said:
blackcows said:
Do you think it's unfair for people to sell $750 feeder cattle as $20,000 show steers?

That's comparing apples and oranges.  Is the purchase price for a $20,000 steer really to eat him?  I doubt it.  My bets are on the fact that it's some over subsidized Republican individual or business that needs a tax right off.

i'm for getting rid of those subsidies.  there are plenty of over subsidized Democrat individual or business that need a tax right off.  one only need look at stimulus jobs at $25/hour to dust off solar panels when the free market will do it for around 15.  same with windows.  the free market pays about 15-20/hour, but subsidized stimulus jobs mandate they be paid $25/hour.

subsidized democrat versus subsidized republican equals apples to apples.

keep dropping my karma while your real karma drops.

your mentor probably got tired of your shenanigans and is simply weaning you.

xxcc

i never referenced any mentor, but since you bring it up, my mentor(s) actually knows(know) something about cattle and the cattle business.  where I should have listened to them is what they told me about Republicans and how doing the right thing never makes any difference to them, it's all about the self.  I did have an associate that made the presentation that projected his 'thoughtfulness' but my suspicion was that it was foreign to him and he was unable to follow through, so it was just truncated when he wasn't happy with the way it was going rather than fixing it and moving forward.  I guess that's why the divorce rate is so high in this country.

I think it's quite the contrary, there is no weaning going on.  I have stayed the course and done what I could to keep the herd together, but there seems to be this stray from another herd that doesn't really like to conform and should probably be culled when time is due.  Maybe its just a greenhorn that doesn't know what he's doing.

Maybe there should just be a barbecue.

blackcows

xxcc said:
blackcows said:
Do you think it's unfair for people to sell $750 feeder cattle as $20,000 show steers?

That's comparing apples and oranges.  Is the purchase price for a $20,000 steer really to eat him?  I doubt it.  My bets are on the fact that it's some over subsidized Republican individual or business that needs a tax right off.

Apples to Apples

A feeder calf is worth about $750, the same steer sold as a club calf sells for $20,000....same calf.

A ton of rock salt sold to a cow-calf producer is worth about $200 a ton, rock salt sold as trophy deer salt sells for $2000 a ton....same salt.

Do you think that the person buying the $2000 a ton rock salt is buying it to feed to cows?  When you sell calves do you expect market price or would you let the hammer drop at the sale barn and say...."no thanks, I will just take 1/10th of the price"? 

Shady Lane

xxcc said:
chambero said:
I don't know much specifically about the salt mining business, but all aspects of mining are heavily regulated and there is just a lot of expense associated with it in general.  They are probably just doing what they have to in order to stay in business. 

I wish I could buy bulk cedar fiber but the manufacturer refuses to sell it that way. 

Out of curiousity, why do you feed unprocessed rock salt?  Maybe its region specific, but every seminar or talk I here in Texas says to quit feeding salt to cattle and use true mineral supplements.  We now use a custom made mineral tailored to our area that we buy from a vet in San Angelo.  It's really not all that expensive.

I'm sure you're right about the regulation.  I guess to me, the aggrevation stemmed from the fact that they used to sell it as rocks and are now being ignorant.  The salt can still be purchased as the machined/ground salt for $0.10/lb, but is sold in unground rock for 10 times the price.

The rocks were natural and had trace minerals in them.  They weathered well and essentially (for whatever reason) harmonized with nature.  See, kind of like your comment this 'product' was a true supplement.  I used to use only those rocks and it ran $0.10-.12/lb.  now to buy salt and mineral, it runs about $30 / 100lb., about triple the cost.  I guess ripping the arm of the consumer of because that's what the market will bear is what irks me.  That's what has this country on it's knees.  If it goes on much longer, we'll be damn lucky if we can get up.  but hell, when someone's down, kick them in the teeth.

You are right, this is captialism, this is business and this is what makes the world go round so to speak.

Why should you buy a product for less than somebody else will pay for it?

Just like the calf at auction, should you stop the sale and say to the auctioneer "I get the steer, for a lesser price than what other people are going to pay because I am only going to use him for freezer beef"?

The market pays what the market will bear.

xxcc

really?  does it contain trace minerals, or is it straight salt? do they sell it in bulk?  what's the name of the company or the mine? being that close to Ohio, what would be different about Erie salt from Redmond, as it seems the Redmond is more favorable for 'trophies'?