Rookie Show Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Being new to the show ring.....I am finding myself in unknown territory!! 
I am not a Jr nor do I have a Jr showing my calfs, so I am missing alot of knowledge one would gain through clinics ect ect. 

When going to bigger open shows (bigger meaning not just your local county fairs) do you have to go all out with the banners, drapes, and fancy items.  I have a heifer I want to take to the Ky Beef Expo next spring but am still acquiring my on the road show stuff.  Am I required to have those things to show??  Are you looked down upon if you dont??  I just cant see spending all that money right at one time until I know what I am doing. 

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Also, when it comes to fitting....where is a good place to learn.  Are the DVD's worth spending the money on??  I have googled and googled but dont come up with much that is "clear"

Thanks again!! 

Tallcool1

Well, this is a great subject.

No, you don't NEED all of that garbage.  Spend your money on cattle.  Nothing frustrates me more than to go to a "bigger show" that has limited space and have all of this crap taking up blocking chute areas.  I have said it before and I will say it again...$3,000 worth of equipment to fit a $1,200 calf that hasn't been touched since they bought him.

You NEED a blocking chute, blower, show halter, possibly 1 stall divider, a couple fans, and then the misc brushes combs etc.. 

You do NOT need a $1,500 show box, a stall cage system, fitting mats, a $25,000 show trailer, $50,000 Dually, or any of the other stuff.

Again, spend your money on cattle. 

Dozer45

Weaver Livestock supply has a great printable packet on fitting and clipping I refer to it often for those little things  you forget after 6 months off. I started as a later youth showman and know the feeling of loosing out on all the educational options. Lots of searches on this site have helped me a lot!! But check out weaver its a nice tool. I also purchased the heifer clipping poster from Sullivans and laminated it so I can hang in the barn at home.

Tallcool1 said:
Well, this is a great subject.

No, you don't NEED all of that garbage.  Spend your money on cattle.  Nothing frustrates me more than to go to a "bigger show" that has limited space and have all of this crap taking up blocking chute areas.  I have said it before and I will say it again...$3,000 worth of equipment to fit a $1,200 calf that hasn't been touched since they bought him.

You NEED a blocking chute, blower, show halter, possibly 1 stall divider, a couple fans, and then the misc brushes combs etc.. 

You do NOT need a $1,500 show box, a stall cage system, fitting mats, a $25,000 show trailer, $50,000 Dually, or any of the other stuff.

Again, spend your money on cattle.

That is exactly what I was thinking...but am just thinking aloud right now b/c I hope to take my heifers to some bigger shows next year! 
I have fans, a blower, clippers, grooming tools (although I am still learning in that department)
What is a blocking shute??

Dozer45 said:
Weaver Livestock supply has a great printable packet on fitting and clipping I refer to it often for those little things  you forget after 6 months off. I started as a later youth showman and know the feeling of loosing out on all the educational options. Lots of searches on this site have helped me a lot!! But check out weaver its a nice tool. I also purchased the heifer clipping poster from Sullivans and laminated it so I can hang in the barn at home.

Thank you!  I actually just bought the weaver grooming chart at our st fair a couple of weeks ago!  I have one heifer that is pretty good about being groomed so this winter she will be my guinea pig!  Wish I had someone to give me some "lessons" though!! 

Part Timer

Youtube has some decent videos on clipping. Nothing to in depth but it will help. Sullivans has some stockshow u videos on there. I have the dvd's and I think they helped the most.

JDP

I haven't seen the chart you are talking about but i have Dave Guyer's clipping video and watch it every fall just before i start on clipping.  He takes a yak and clips it to better than I will ever get one.  Well worth the investment if you want to learn. Then clip and clip often as you can. Good luck!

cowboy_nyk

Blocking chute is just a trimming chute. 

A wise man in the purebred industry who has had a lot of success and whom I admire and respect very much once told me, "the people who come to look at your stall display are not there to look at your cattle anyway."

cowboy_nyk said:
Blocking chute is just a trimming chute. 

A wise man in the purebred industry who has had a lot of success and whom I admire and respect very much once told me, "the people who come to look at your stall display are not there to look at your cattle anyway."

Thank you!  I feel much better about the upcoming show season now!