Rookie ?? Sullivan Fogger

Help Support Steer Planet:

JKTex

Another rookie question, this one about the Sullivan Express Fogger. Seems like simple questions but I want to make sure we're not making it harder than it seems to be to get as good of coverage as possible and wasting as little product as possible.  It's one of those "how do you boil water that's in a pot, on a stove" questions.  (lol)

It seems like it's pretty hard to use wrong but I'm curious since it seems like our first use went faster than I thought.

1) How much of whatever you're spraying, Kleen Sheen/ACV mix for example, do you use on 1 calf?
2) Is there a trick to fogging them thoroughly without rushing to get him 100%, or just pull the hose from the fogger and do 1 part at a time?
3) Once fogged, if it's done right should much mix be dripping.
4) What speed on the blower do you like to use?  Seems there's a balance in there between good fog and penetration through the hair.

We went though about 3/4 fogger bottle pretty dang quick and he seemed much wetter than I though he would be but I also kept the hose on the fogger with only one break, just trying to get a good coverage.  It's a pretty simple device but if there's any tips or tricks to get use more efficient, quicker, I'm game.

cowboy_nyk

Make sure you're only using one blower motor.  If that's still too much product, either dilute it with water or don't hold your finger on the air hole.

Part Timer

You will go broke trying to keep that thing full all the time. They need to make a gallon jug attachment so you actually have a chance of getting the calf covered. I have a brand new one somebody can have. I used it twice and put it on the shelf.

JDP

I like using the little pump up sprayers most farm stores sell for spraying chemicals. They hold about half gallon of liquid.  Then hold the nozzle in front of the blower and apply as much of your sheen you want.

shortyjock89

Mainevent said:
I use it mainly to quick fog water nothing else because it is so wasteful.

Yeah, this is what they're really for.  We might mix in a dab of Double Dip or Mane N Tail, but that's about it.  If you're looking to use it to put on sheen, you need to stop what you're doing, and think about it some more.

JKTex

Thanks for all the replies.  At least I know it's not me now.  It works, but you have to be fast and I can see cutting it further with water is probably best. 

And another thing, our steer isn't a fan.  I think it has to do with getting fogged in the eyes when the operator looses vision from getting fogged in the eyes.  ;)

Today I simply used a pump spray bottle and brushed it in and it worked just fine and blowing him out was quicker since it was much less.  Lesson learned.  I'm sure I'll find a use for it at some point, I hope.

So far, the best thing I've done, by far is get a good rice root/hybrid brush.  He looked like a different animal after the first use.

GoWyo

I use it for dyeing cattle.  Mix up about 4 Black Velvet kits and run one motor on each of the blowers in the double blower set up.  Have to be fast and move it on and off the nozzle quickly when changing locations.  Can apply the dye all over the critter in about a minute then rub it in by hand.

Cham2135

We use our only for 70% alcohol. It works great for getting that little bit of manure off the calf when you get to a show. Mainly at winter or rainy shows

cowboy_nyk

I use it to apply sheen but I cut it with water and vinegar.  Mind you I'm prepping 10+ calves plus yearlings and cows, all at once by myself.  My hand would fall off if I tried to hand pump them all with a little spray bottle.