Roto Brush

Help Support Steer Planet:

paj315

Has anyone used a rotobrush? If so how does it work? And how do you use it. I have seen them for sale and wondered about them but wanted to get some other peoples opinion. What does it do that a comb or brush doesn't?

dakotacac

I have had the brush for a few months and I really do enjoy it. I have the wooden core brush that works really well. It lifts the hair in all areas, even hard to reach places. It takes a little while to get use to and too train the hair with it, but it's well worth it. If you do purchase the brush. 1. Soak it in water before you use it for a couple hours (The whole brush) and 2. WATCH OUT FOR THE TAIL. I recommend the rotobrush from Sullivan's.

renegadelivestock

dakotacac said:
I have had the brush for a few months and I really do enjoy it. I have the wooden core brush that works really well. It lifts the hair in all areas, even hard to reach places. It takes a little while to get use to and too train the hair with it, but it's well worth it. If you do purchase the brush. 1. Soak it in water before you use it for a couple hours (The whole brush) and 2. WATCH OUT FOR THE TAIL. I recommend the rotobrush from Sullivan's.

put a pair of panty hose over the tail, and tie a string around the top, then the tail is safe!!

King Cattle Co.

Love the roto brush for legs. way less work than using a brush by hand. get the rice root not the synthetic, they work a lot better.

mick rems

we have both the rice root roto and the black bristle roto. i actually like the black bristle roto, the bristles alternate lengths from row to row. and that really pulls the hair up. make sure u use it on a good and charged drill that is very quick and easy to change directions. the black bristle one actually pulls hair on the topline and thighs a lot better than the rice root one. the rice root one sometimes leaves collicks on the thighs, topline, and body hair. if you use it on the thighs and body hair just make sure you comb it again with a good PLASTIC scotch, fluffer or skip tooth comb, depending on the type of hair.

CHFarms

Any drill with adequate power will work for you. Make sure the battery life will last though, some of the cheaper ones die quicker and it is just a pain to have to charge all the time. A bad battery can affect your power too.

coachmac

cordless drills are great, but you can pick up the cheapest black and decker at Wal Mart, with a cord, and get by as well.  We tried one in a pinch and ended up using it the last three years.  The little drill was starting to click and clatter toward the middle of this season but made it through to the end.  I am thinking it was a $23 investment, BUT..... you will have the cord to deal with as well. 

simba

I agree with CHFarms, make sure it has enough power. I prefer a cordless drill, but that's a personal preference. Make sure if you go cordless that the drill has good batteries that will stay charged for a long time. It takes a lot of battery just to brush one animal. I'd also recommend getting a light drill because your arm will get pretty sore if you're using a big heavy one.

rackranch

For what its worth, I had a fitter tell me a couple weeks ago that they stopped using the roto because they felt like it was pulling out and breaking off good hair ???

Jive Turkey

rackranch said:
For what its worth, I had a fitter tell me a couple weeks ago that they stopped using the roto because they felt like it was pulling out and breaking off good hair ???

Not trying to be a jerk but how does hair "break"?

Tallcool1

rackranch said:

We stopped using ours a couple years ago, for the exact reason that your fitter told you.

We would see the lower leg hair coming in.  You could physically see the longer guard hairs so we knew it was growing.  Then sure enough some of it would be gone.  I just felt like it was too aggressive.

For what it is worth, there is no better brush for growing and training hair than the plastic scrub brushes.  The cattle love them, and they are coarse bristled enough that they never pull hair.

I am just not a fan of the roto brush anymore.