Royal Melbourne Show and the Simmental World Congress

Help Support Steer Planet:

Aussie

Just got back from Royal Melbourne Show and the Simmental World Congress. Just a note if the judge is Scottish do not show black or solid red colour cattle unless you like the view from the back row.

Okotoks

Aussie said:
Just got back from Royal Melbourne Show and the Simmental World Congress. Just a note if the judge is Scottish do not show black or solid red colour cattle unless you like the view from the back row.
In talking to Scottish cattle breeders they seem to want each breed to resemble the breeds original type whereas in North America we have actually changed the type a great deal. When you ask a judge from another country to judge you can expect the results to be quite a bit different as they are looking for the type they are used to. They also have way more fullbloods than percentage in most breeds. I have had Australian visitors comment how unlike the original imports NA European breeds are.  I guess each arae moves towards the type that suits their market and they are not always the same.

cndcattle

My family is over there right now. They went for the show, and stayed to do some touring and visiting afterward. We had sold a group of black embryo's to Australia a few years ago. The first group of bulls sold this summer, and one was at the show. Sounds like it was a great show regardless of who won.

garybob

Aussie said:
Imagine that! Breed character.......What a concept!

GB

thunderdownunder

Aussie said:

I've just got back from the show and congress mtself, and while I do agree to an extent, there were a few 'non-traditional' cattle that placed. I also had the opportunity to visit with the judge a few times throughout the Congress and while not necessarily agreeing with all his placings, I do understand his reasoning.
As someone already mentioned, when a judge from a different country is asked to judge you can expect the results to be quite varying. Unfortunately most judges do not understand the production requirements or systems of various countries and so they only judge for what would suit their locality. This is not ideal but if people want the 'prestige' of an international judge then it's something they just have to deal with.
Having said all that, there were some fantastic cattle in the line up of approximately 170 Simmentals and the breeders should be commended for putting on such a world class display.