Rummensin question

Help Support Steer Planet:

trapper

Our kids calves have been on feed with rummensin all winter.  My  feed company dropped the ball and didn't order my feed when I ordered it and now I have a tote without rummensin.  The ration is the same except no rummensin.  Can I expect any adverse effects from this as I have heard from another producer that once calves are on rummensin they should stay on it or they will not feel good, go off feed etc.  Anyone have experience with this?

TPX

Same thing happened to us and our calves went off feed.  We were able to find a mineral w/rummensin in it and mixed it in as we fed that tote and it worked great.  If you do mix your own rummensin in you need to follow the directions on the bag. 

hamburgman

If you mix your own remember more is not better.  Rumensin toxicity is a nasty thing and doesn't kill right away, deaths can linger out to 45 days later.  Make sure to follow the directions.

RyanChandler

The normal rate that Rumensin is fed is 50 to 200 mg/ head per day.  I talked to a dairymen that feeds out all his steers on a calf fed finishing ration.  He feeds 400mg/hd/day and hasn't had any problems.  You still be able to add it to the feed regardless of whether its pre mix or post.

trapper

Thanks for the info everyone.  Its just dissapointing when your feed company lets you down.

tcf

I work for a show feed company. If you are going to be mixing in a mineral with Rum make sure you follow label directions! Rummensin is an ionophore and aids in rumen health and bloat prevention for a very generic and simple explanation, they have a list of scientific claims but they are too long. If you feed your steers the new feed without Rum they should stay on feed, if you begin mixing in too much stuff is where you will see problems. Rum has a different/bitter taste that animals will become used to and adding a premix mineral with Rum would change taste and smell quite a bit. Watch your steers as they  begin the changed diet. Heavy feeding could result in more GI gases without the Rum and in the worst situation bloat can occur.
When you switch back onto the feed with rum again make it a gradual one as it will have that different taste to it. usually animals don't care unless they are extremely picky but i always recommend slow feed changes.
Do not take any feed changes lightly. Even aggressive eaters can stop on a dime if something is not right to them. Make all changes gradually, I say 3-5 days at minimum. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

trapper

Thank you TCF.  That is excellent information.  I think  I will back their intake up a bit until I am comfortable then get them back to where they were.