RUMOR - Jakes proud jazz mulefoot carrier??

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

yes Okotoks you are correct - there are multiple mutations that lead to mule foot - not all of them have been identified

you can think of it sort of like the TH mutations - the Improver mutation and the Outcast mutation are both on the same region of the gene but are different  - if you breed a TH carrier with the Improver mutation to a TH carrier with the Outcast mutation you can get a TH calf - even though the mutations are not the same

Like wise if you breed an Angus mule foot carrier to a Holstein mule foot carrier you can get a mule foot calf even though the mutations are not the same - the difference with mule foot is that there is incomplete penetrance - meaning the phenotype of the calf is not always the same - can be variable - number of feet affected etc

sue

DL

This my speed . thanks and can you shed more light on how they there are physically.

cattlefarmer

DL said:
cattlefarmer said:
shortdawg said:
.........back to the topic .........I'm still going to use JPJ.....he's been good to me and if I get a mulefoot calf I'll put him in the freezer.
Thank you!  Once again a shorthorn thread gets way off topic again.  I am with you shortdawg I will keep using my JPJ son and if i should get a mulefoot calf in  I will too pu it in the freezer.

I would hope that if you get a calf with mule foot that you would send in an ear or  a purple top tube to help with the identification of the mutation that may be causing the issue in the Shorthorn breed - foolish me, I thought we had gotten past the time when we didn't consider providing DNA to help in the gene hunt
I am really not that worried about it because right now its nothing more than an internet rumor.

Doc

aj said:
I know BS ......its just hard for me (with a straight face) to talk cattle production with someone from Tennessee.....I really try to keep an open mind.

"Tennessee is one of the top beef-producing states in the nation. Tennessee ranks 9th in the nation in beef cow numbers and 15th in total cattle. Tennessee exceeds all states east of the Mississippi, except Kentucky, in numbers of cattle. Only Texas, Missouri and Oklahoma have more cow-calf operations than Tennessee."

coyote

Quote From Chandler
You're right, AJ-  I've never heard people use the climate excuse more often than when we're dealing with shorthorn bulls.  If anyone still has a copy of Matlocks sale, check out the birthweights on the Speckled Parks compared to the Shorthorns.  Both breeds were raised in identical conditions yet the shorthorns bw avg 20 more lbs.  The speckleds are low 70s (LIKE A HEIFER BULL SHOULD BE) and the 3 bulls they offered are 90+.  Even the Ripper calf, 90+.

I think one of the differences there is when you are comparing Shorthorns to Speckle Parks is the size of the cows. The Shorthorn cows are bigger and if a 1500 pound cow can't have a 105 pound calf (7% of her body weight) she aint much of a cow. You are likely to get a smaller calf out of the Speckled Parks but you are not going to get the growth.
There are some Shorthorn calving ease bulls out there but I don't think the breed has concentrated on that trait say as much as the Angus breed has.

That's the way I see it when comparing apples to apples (Crab to McINTOSH) or oranges to oranges (Mandarin to Navel).

DL

cattlefarmer said:
DL said:
cattlefarmer said:
shortdawg said:
.........back to the topic .........I'm still going to use JPJ.....he's been good to me and if I get a mulefoot calf I'll put him in the freezer.
Thank you!  Once again a shorthorn thread gets way off topic again.  I am with you shortdawg I will keep using my JPJ son and if i should get a mulefoot calf in  I will too pu it in the freezer.

I would hope that if you get a calf with mule foot that you would send in an ear or  a purple top tube to help with the identification of the mutation that may be causing the issue in the Shorthorn breed - foolish me, I thought we had gotten past the time when we didn't consider providing DNA to help in the gene hunt
I am really not that worried about it because right now its nothing more than an internet rumor.

YES FOLKS DEJA VU all over again - there have been cases of abnormalities reported - if you have a calf sired by JPJ or a JPJ son and it has abnormalities of its legs send in a da** sample - it is pretty easy - that way we can know for sure if it is genetic (there is evidence to suggest that) or something else -- it appears that the ostrich is alive and well

nate53

DL said:
cattlefarmer said:
DL said:
cattlefarmer said:
shortdawg said:
Thank you!  Once again a shorthorn thread gets way off topic again.  I am with you shortdawg I will keep using my JPJ son and if i should get a mulefoot calf in  I will too pu it in the freezer.

I would hope that if you get a calf with mule foot that you would send in an ear or  a purple top tube to help with the identification of the mutation that may be causing the issue in the Shorthorn breed - foolish me, I thought we had gotten past the time when we didn't consider providing DNA to help in the gene hunt

YES FOLKS DEJA VU all over again - there have been cases of abnormalities reported - if you have a calf sired by JPJ or a JPJ son and it has abnormalities of its legs send in a da** sample - it is pretty easy - that way we can know for sure if it is genetic (there is evidence to suggest that) or something else -- it appears that the ostrich is alive and well
People I think what DL is tryingggg to get acrossssss is if you have a abnormality on an animal get a sample taken and send it in, (easy, no reason to worry-yet, just send the sample in) that's all she's askin.  
It doesn't sound like a big widespread problem, and that would be the whole purpose of getting samples taken of animals that are suspect to prevent it from becoming a big widespread problem.  Accurate information wanted!!!  Not RUMORS! ::)

DL

nate53 said:
DL said:
cattlefarmer said:
DL said:
cattlefarmer said:
shortdawg said:

[size=10pt]
People I think what DL is tryingggg to get acrossssss is if you have a abnormality on an animal get a sample taken and send it in, (easy, no reason to worry-yet, just send the sample in) that's all he's askin.   
It doesn't sound like a big widespread problem, and that would be the whole purpose of getting samples taken of animals that are suspect to prevent it from becoming a big widespread problem.  Accurate information wanted!!!  Not RUMORS! ::)

[size=10pt]Nate - he's a she but YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT, thanks for the translation
  ;)

jason

DL said:
nate53 said:
DL said:
cattlefarmer said:
DL said:
cattlefarmer said:
shortdawg said:

[size=10pt]
People I think what DL is tryingggg to get acrossssss is if you have a abnormality on an animal get a sample taken and send it in, (easy, no reason to worry-yet, just send the sample in) that's all he's askin. 
It doesn't sound like a big widespread problem, and that would be the whole purpose of getting samples taken of animals that are suspect to prevent it from becoming a big widespread problem.  Accurate information wanted!!!  Not RUMORS! ::)

[size=10pt]Nate - he's a she but YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT, thanks for the translation
  ;)

Going for a quoting record here.  (lol)

Anyway until someone tests a calf and it comes back with the genetic defect and personally posts it on here or someone on here references a substantiated source , it is a RUMOR.  Unless I missed it, I didn't see a burden of proof in this thread.

Unfortunately, many people won't take the time to read all the way through and I don't want this thread to be responsible for spreading what cannot be determined as a fact.  Further, Steer Planet is fairly visited and there could easily be an argument that this thread could cause damages.

The ASA will be providing a statement to address this rumor.