Salute

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

aj... I apologize to you as I should take at least 10 deep breaths sometimes before I respond to a post. I read your post when I turned on the computer this morning and it obviously hit a nerve. I should have gone and did some chores and then responded and I may have done it a little differently. I greatly appreciate your points of view, and I will be the first to admit that I agree with you much more often than I disagree. From my vantage point ( unless I am reading all your posts wrong) I think we agree on many of the basics of this business. Where we seem to disagree is on which road we should take to get there. I see nothing wrong with that happening, and it is probably a good thing in the long run. We certainly do not need to all be followers. If we all just follow, we can spend a lot of time just going in circles.

I will check the obits in the morning, and I am fairly certain I will not find your name amongst the entries. Hopefully, we will both live a little longer to fight a few more fights, but I think the good news is that we are both on the same side. As far as promoting a bull that does not give 120 lb BWs, it is coming, and it is coming sooner rather than later. These things take longer than it seems should be reasonable, but enough people are preaching the same message, that it will take place. I just hope in our haste to bring our BWs down, that we toss performance out the window to accomplish it. That is why I say it will take some time  before this becomes common place. There are several low BW bulls in this breed, some of which are pretty good breeding bulls, and some are basically just sleep easy sires.

aj

Again jit...you are are a wealth of info for the breed and industry. People who spend a lifetime with a breed have my respect.

oakbar

I'm sure glad you two made up!!  I thought for a while there I needed to call the "Prez" and get you two together for a beer. 

I have to admit that I was one of those who saw Salute in Denver and fell in love with him right away.  Only later did I realize I had broken my own rule about getting too excited about a new bull.  I have only had two Salute calves on my farm.  Unfortunately, in this very limited experience, I would have to say that neither was a show quality animal and both were large(95 and 100#s).    That doesn't mean he's a bad bull--it just means that he didn't nick with the cows we used him on.    Here locally, there were probably 20 or so females bred to him that first year.  Those that used him were mostly dissapointed in the birth weights-- I think, as was mentioned, that he is definitely not a heifer bull.    However, there are lots of people out there who are more knowledgable than me about which Shorthorn lines should be mated together and I'm sure they will get some execellent calves.  I've seen some excellent calves out of him here in Iowa--just not as many as I thought I'd see and I even though I've still got some of his semen, I didn't use any this year.  I want to talk with some of the gurus in our breed to see if I have any females they feel would nick with him before I use him again.

justintime

Ok... I will make a major concession, in showing my sincerity of making a meaningful peace pact.... aj, you can pick the brand of beer, providing we only allow the Prez to have two wobbly pops.

sjcattleco

aj said:
Thanks. Wasn't there like 15 full brothers that all sold for 20,000$ on the same day that will never be heard of again? Oh lord forgive me......I'm so cynical......why am I so bitter....? AJ you are such a dumb ass.....they all sold to commercial guys in Canada? Seriously the Trump-Rodeo Drive combination is winning the shows. They are great cattle. Cates are a class act. The Shorthorn breed is a large tent. Kumbiah.....Kumbiah. What is the sull prefix? Come on people now....my only brother....lets all stand together now and try to love one another right now. How about a beer summit? ;D

LOL  DUDE!!!!  now thats funny!

aj

In my opinion......there is no such thing as bad tasting beer........some beer is better then others.....what was the USA thinking during the prohibition era? What were they thinking during during the text messaging cell phone era? And when did they know it? ;D

mechanic

Our heaviest Salute was the heifer pictured. She was 94 lbs out of a 1/3 Lincon Red cow that weighs in at around 1450 lbs. We have been quite happy for the most part. We did have one heifer calf that did not make the keeper pen. On our Lincon Red influenced cows he has worked very well. The heifer picture was Reserve calf champion at 2008 Canadian National show and was Reserve Overall female at last weeks Canadian Junior National Show. Born Jan.31st of 2008. She is very moderate in frame but should mature to be a carbon copy of her mother.

Jim

Attachments

• Hunt Farms Kathy 131U2.jpg
    Hunt Farms Kathy 131U2.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 299

shortdawg

I saw him in Denver as well and liked him pretty good. Seen some good ones out of him and seen some not so good - much like many other bulls. I will have my first in about 6 weeks out of a proven Reg. Angus female and it is a heifer - so time will tell.

Jacob B

Salute never took me as a "changer."  I think sooooo many people used him on so many differnt types of cows that first year that people got really excited about an unproven young bull for nothing.  Some VERY good ones have been born and some not so good.  He seems to work to keep a good cow close to what you may want, but not make an average one better.  Of course your gunna get a lot of birth weight ranges in calves coming from different parts of the world and different managment levels.  And the mother may have just a little bit to do with it.  I heard from so many people the first year that they were breeding their show heifers to him.  I would Never taken him for a calving ease bull to start with.  I have had good luck with both birth weights and quality in my limited use.  A class winner at Louis. and a high seller, fo me anyways.  Just me 2 cents.  I have yet to find the one great one that works on all cows for all people.  I'll still use him when i think it's appropriate.