Sandycreek Ivor 83SH611

Help Support Steer Planet:

ongria

Searching for pedigree information and photo of this bull. Please advise.

Doc

I think there was several of them, with different numbers behind their name and the one with no number. They were full Irish bulls.

justintime

To my knowledge there was only one Sandy Creek Ivor. There were some other Irish cattle that had the same name. For example, one of the first Irish females we imported from Ireland was Highfield Kate 3rd. Two more females named Highfield Kate 3rd were imported into the US after her( so much for the Coates herdbook being such an accurate document!).
I saw this post a couple days ago and have been busier than a toilet seat at a party, and finally found a few minutes to respond to this post.
Here is a bit of history on Sandy Creek Ivor.
He was born in 1978 in the Sandy Creek herd owned by Paul Janusick in Illinois. He only had a few head of Irish Shorthorns however, he had a female that I thought was one of the very best females to be imported from Ireland. This female was Highfield Judy 3rd and she was sired by Deerpark Leader 4th. I have been told by many people that the Deerpark Leader 4th was probably the best sire out of the Deerpark herd. Deerpark Judy 3rd was the dam of Sandy Creek Ivor.
The sire of Ivor was a roan Irish import named Tourant Sir Ivor. He was a complete outcross to any other Irish Shorthorns I know of that came over here. His sire was Buffaroka Sir Ivor and his dam was Friarstown Greenleaf 2nd. I saw Tourant Sir Ivor as a mature bull working in a commercial herd in Kansas. He was very impressive with more thickness and muscling than most of the other Irish bulls we had seen at that time Dick Judy of Beef Genetics Research Inc, Mankato, KS had imported Tourant Sir Ivor when he made the first importation to the US which included Deerpark Dividend, Deerpark Improver as we about 5 other bulls and approximately 15 females. When I saw Sir Ivor, he had just sold him to a commercial man near his ranch. I was impressed enough with him, that I asked if he would sell him. He said he had just bought him and wanted to use him so I didn't push this issue with him.
We purchased Sandy Creek Ivor in the Denver sale in 1981.While I was very impressed with Ivor at Denver, I had no intention of buying him at the time as we had a full line up of herd sires and really did not need another herd bull, but when he came into the sale ring and they could not get him started at $2000, I bid once and I owned him. He was white and horned and I think that was the reason no one else bid on him. He was a most impressive bull  and sired calves with tremendous growth. Some of his daughters became some of our best females in our herd. Like I said, at that time, our cowherd numbered about 350 head and we were using bulls such as Ready Go, Highfield Irish Mist, IDS Duke of Dublin, Waukaru Cinnabar, Ellsway Chieftain ( an excellent son of Columbus), and Four Point Major, as well as a couple homebred bulls. We were also AI breeding a pile of females so Ivor only got used as a clean-up bull the first year he was here. After seeing his calves, he never had a clean up role again.
I have had two herd sires that I have regretted that I never collected semen on. These were Sandy Creek Ivor and Waukaru Cinnabar. Almost every other sire we used has been collected and now I certainly wish I had semen from both these bulls and I would definitely be using it yet today.
A couple interesting stories come to my mind in regards to Ivor. At the time I purchased him, he had to be quarantined during the time the export tests were being done. I asked Dr Martin Nold if he could do the testing at his place in South Dakota. He agreed to do this and I drove down to pick him up when he called and told me he had the export papers ready. The next spring, Dr Nold phoned and asked me if I would agree to sign some registration papers as " owner of the sire" He sent me 22 registration applications that were sired  by Ivor.He quarantined him in a pasture full of cows I guess!
The first fall that Ivor was at our place I flew to Toronto for the Royal Winter Fair. I remember walking off the plane and hearing my name being paged in the Toronto airport. I ran to a courtesy phone as I thought something must be really bad at home. My dad was on the phone and he told me that Ivor had broke his back leg. Our vet was certain it was broke but he could not tell how bad the break was. I asked Dad if he could get him in the stock trailer and take him to the Vet college which was 250 miles away and see if they could x-ray it. He did this and the x-ray showed that he had broke the long bone below his hip but it was broken  completely in half - but length ways and not across the bone. The vets at the U of S vet college said they had never seen or heard of a leg bone break like this. They said the only chance the bull had to recover was to keep him in a very small stall for a few months and see if the bone would heal. We did this and kept in a small pen in the barn all winter. He was one of the best patients I ever had as he was very careful lying down and getting up. One day in the early spring I decided to let him outside and see how he could walk. He slowly walked out and when he was once in the sun, he started hopping and running around. I still was not sure if he was completely healed or not so I tried him with a cow in heat and he bred her naturally.  He ran with about 30 cows that summer.
Two or three years later, Dale Wernicke in Illinois phone me and asked me if I would consider selling Ivor to him. He said he had regretted not buying him when he sold in Denver. I agreed to sell him to Dale and he headed back to Illinois. Dale had only gotten a few cows bred when he found Ivor dead in the pasture. He had rolled into a cow trail and got stranded on his back and died.
When I first read this post, I was surprised that there was still some Ivor semen in the US up to a couple years ago. I knew that he had been collected before I bought him in Denver, but none of that semen was exportable to Canada. If it had been, I would have bought as much as I could find.
I have a couple pictures of Ivor when he was here, but right now my scanner isn't working. I will try to get this done and hopefully I can post a picture in the next few days.
In my opinion, Sandy Creek Ivor was one of the very best bulls produced from the Irish strain. I really wish I had semen on him today!

ongria

Jason,
We may have semen on him. We ordered what we thought were the last 10 units of Scottish Highlander semen from SEK in 2011. My husband went to breed a highland cow the following morning and in looking at the straw afterward discovered it was shorthorn not Scottish highland. I think the number I am seeing on the invoice is the cane number, not his registration number, so I cannot completely be sure though. I also do not know if my husband used it on some of the shorthorn farms that we service. Thank you for the marvelous information! Do you have a photo by chance?

ongria

Thank you so much for your story and taking time to share with me! Upon rereading your post I caught the Canada part and I would not be able to send you Semen if we had 's any left. We are going to inventory and selectively utilize any straws we have left. We go to a shorthorn sale here in Michigan that brings several Canadians. Little Cedar Revival.

vcsf

Here is an attempt at a picture of Justintime's, Sandy Creek Ivor bull.  It probably is not going to show up very good as it was scanned from a almost 30 year old black and white magazine.

Attachments

• Sandy Creek Ivor.jpg
    Sandy Creek Ivor.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 181