Sanga cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Some of those Tuli cattle are pretty impressive. Duncraggan, do you know any of these folks?

Duncraggan

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Some of those Tuli cattle are pretty impressive. Duncraggan, do you know any of these folks?
I do know some breeders but none of them are listed on the website!

Let me give my understanding of the breeds, I am not an expert but this is my take on it!

Drakensbergers: probably, in my opinion, the the most commercially orientated of the bunch as they probably carry the most meat.  Apparently have an infusion of Dutch black cattle from 1652 landing of Dutch settlers.  Particularly suited to the cold winters if the Highveld areas.  Black cattle are not popular in South Africa.

Tulis: originally from Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe.  Polled. Probably the most popular/fastest growing of the Sanga type breeds at the moment.

Afrikaners:  used to be the most popular of the breeds, crossed with Shorthorns to a 5/8 composite to form the Bonsmara breed, now the biggest breed in South Africa.

Ngunis:  definitely the weakest commercially, they are hardy but not well muscled cattle at all!  Their tanned, hair on, hides are very popular.

Generally all of the above are slick coated and hardy, disease resistant breeds.

Rhodie

I have extensive experience with Sanga breeds and composites, having bred Tuli cattle in the Kalahari bushveld in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, establishing a herd in Namibia with Family and another in Delmas South Africa I started a herd in NC but had to leave after 5 1/2 years.  The Mashona is another very functional pure Sanga which is available in the USA, the largest herd being in Florida. The Bonsmara composite is very popular as a performance tested breed, with demand for bulls exceeding supply in the USA and the Thornbush herd in Canada able to export semen and embryos.