Schaff Angus Valley

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

husker1 said:
CAB said:
No he was happy with the first bull and had calves out of him that he was extremely happy with. I don't think either bull will be in a directory as far as I know.

The fellow at Falls City that is speak of is Herbster Angus.
I could not remember the name for sure, but I do know that sounds right. I was told that he owns a large grain elevator.

trevorgreycattleco

husker is right. The fella also owns the Conklin Company. they sell all sorts of stuff. You have to buy in to the company before to sell the products. It is a pretty big deal these days I guess. Nice write off for Herbster to buy these cattle and he grew up with cattle so more power to him.

kjd farms

aandtcattle

Okotoks said:
Those bulls have serious performance! The weaning weights are pretty impressive.

http://www.schaffangusvalley.com/sale-bulls.html
I tend to disagree with the above statement.  First off, congratulations to SAV!  They have done a masterful job of promoting and breeding a program that people see value in.  They also feed extremely well and must feed these cattle all they want from the time they are born.  From my observations, the SAV sired cattle that are raised in a non-SAV environment do not excel for performance, leading me to beleive that there may be somewhat of an artificial environment factor going on in "THE VALLEY". Another point that I will make is the fact that, as trevorgrey commented, most of the bulls represented in the recent SAV sale would fall in that upper 5 to low 6 frame range.  What would they frame at had they been raised in a more typical environment with less than fancy resources?  Ive seen lots of 004, Bismarck, Final Answer progeny at commercial ranch settings that are damn moderate!.... Like mid4 frame cattle.  I just dont beleive you always get what you think youre getting when buying cattle from an operation that runs their cows 180 degrees different from what you do.  Again, just my observations and opinions.

kfacres

aandtcattle said:
Okotoks said:
Those bulls have serious performance! The weaning weights are pretty impressive.

http://www.schaffangusvalley.com/sale-bulls.html
I tend to disagree with the above statement.  First off, congratulations to SAV!  They have done a masterful job of promoting and breeding a program that people see value in.  They also feed extremely well and must feed these cattle all they want from the time they are born.  From my observations, the SAV sired cattle that are raised in a non-SAV environment do not excel for performance, leading me to beleive that there may be somewhat of an artificial environment factor going on in "THE VALLEY". Another point that I will make is the fact that, as trevorgrey commented, most of the bulls represented in the recent SAV sale would fall in that upper 5 to low 6 frame range.  What would they frame at had they been raised in a more typical environment with less than fancy resources?  Ive seen lots of 004, Bismarck, Final Answer progeny at commercial ranch settings that are damn moderate!.... Like mid4 frame cattle.  I just dont beleive you always get what you think youre getting when buying cattle from an operation that runs their cows 180 degrees different from what you do.  Again, just my observations and opinions.

I tend to agree-- I had a good buddy who traveled out each year to torch sale bulls for them.. Told me the same things...  Push the piss out of them from day 1.

trevorgreycattleco

I think SAV is exhibit A for a ranch that pushes the cattle as hard as they can to see how fast they can grow. Its hard to compare a seedstock operation who runs their herd like this to a herd that makes em find every bite of food yet that doesnt get promoted by many ranches from either side of the spectrum. I think we are missing the boat a bit. No one herd can work for everyone. I believe that is impossible. What isnt is creating a hype and lots of advertising, good advertising. Then its popular and everybody thinks they need it. I think progress would be made much faster if we all just were upfront about how the cattle are raised. Most folks are if you ask them but very few promote it. Lots to be learned from a successful operation like SAV.

knabe

2nd hand running someone down versus 2nd hand running someone up might be a little different.  Not sure though.  Maybe they are the same.  I guess debate class wasnt worth it after all.  Too hard to illuminate hypocrisy and irony.  Much easier to have diarhea..

cowboybecoachin

Our experience with SAV cattle has been great. Excellent growth, beautifull phenotype, and gentle. Most frame 6 or a little more.

We are in Central Texas where things have veen tough (drouth). The SAV cattle have done as well as any other and better than a bunch.

husker1

[I tend to disagree with the above statement.  First off, congratulations to SAV!  They have done a masterful job of promoting and breeding a program that people see value in.  They also feed extremely well and must feed these cattle all they want from the time they are born. 

In reply...we now have 5 former Schaff donor cows.  Three of them we've had for over a year now and raised calves last year.  I was impressed how the cows handled a more traditional setting.  They looked good year round with no special treatment.  As far as calf performance, these three were born all late April and May, so it was kind of hard to compare.  However, the two heifer calve's adj. ww's were both in the top 5 % of our herd with no creep.  (historically, our later calves wean heavy though).  The bull calf was right at herd average. 

Take that information for what it's worth...if the bull calf would've weaned towards the top (as the two heifers did),...a conclusion could've been drawn.....

cdl

The sav bulls almost always have a high milk epd and a negative energy (En) epd (-25ish). I wouldn't expect them to thrive on tumbleweeds and sagebrush.