Selecting Maternal Sires

Help Support Steer Planet:

Stihlpro

I have been using clubby bulls for the past 5 years and have been happy with the steers.  The heifers seemed to be shunned at the livestock market.  I have been feeding them out and selling locker beef the past few years.  My only problem is that I get 75% heifers (I know it's just bad luck on my part).  I am getting to the point where I need top put some replacement heifers back into the herd and would like to add more maternal genetics.  I need some advice in picking some bulls that sire really good Mamas.  I watched the Guyer Sale on RFDTV and definitely realized that I was also lacking length in my cows.  I have some ideas but would love to hear other suggestions. 

OH Breeder

Northern Improvement really made our calves long bodied. I used him on a Mossy Oak x Angus heifer a few years back and he did the trick. I used him again this year on heifer and will know in a month how that worked.

MYT Farms

Kellys have some really nice Nutt-n-Butt daughters. And apparently from the breed thread going, you need to get some simmi in your herd.  ;D

CAB

Stihlpro said:
I have been using clubby bulls for the past 5 years and have been happy with the steers.  The heifers seemed to be shunned at the livestock market.  I have been feeding them out and selling locker beef the past few years.  My only problem is that I get 75% heifers (I know it's just bad luck on my part).  I am getting to the point where I need top put some replacement heifers back into the herd and would like to add more maternal genetics.  I need some advice in picking some bulls that sire really good Mamas.  I watched the Guyer Sale on RFDTV and definitely realized that I was also lacking length in my cows.  I have some ideas but would love to hear other suggestions. 

You say that you need to add length of body. If you were watching the sale on a flatscreen, the cattle are distorted as to how long they actually are. They appear much longer on a flatscreen. Just a FYI incase you didn't know.

Stihlpro

CAB said:
Stihlpro said:

You say that you need to add length of body. If you were watching the sale on a flatscreen, the cattle are distorted as to how long they actually are. They appear much longer on a flatscreen. Just a FYI incase you didn't know.

That's interesting you say that because even my wife (who could care less) said "Those look way longer than yours!"

CAB

Less than a month ago Olson started a thread titled Maternal Standouts that was a very good thread. I'll go find it and bring it ttt.

Stihlpro

Just read the entire post and it was very interesting.  Thanks!

Dyer Show cattle

Depends on what breed/breeds you have in your heard right now and what you want to end up with. I would first figure out what breed of cattle or what cross you want to end up with and then select. You may want to go with a purebred bull or a percentage bull. Personally I have a lot of sim/angus and I always try for replacement female quality rather than steer potential. If I have a awesome heifer I don't have to sell her if I don't get what I want, if its a really good steer you don't have a lot of options except to sell at some point. Plus I have had a purebred angus bull for the past 5 years and this year bought a purebred simm bull to get back some more sim in my herd. As far as clubby bulls I have bred to that have good daughters are WMW, Sunseeker, and Ground Zero. I have 4 Ali bred heifers that are good but nothing close to the others. This year AI'd to Sunseeker, My Turn, and Hooks shear force 38K. One of the biggest thing I have noticed with a large majority of clubby bulls is they are downsizing. There are not many out there that will add frame size to your herd. So that is one reason you may go with a purebred bull. Might not be show stoppers but most quality AI purebred bulls will add what you need if you pay attention to EPDs.

jbw

If you have clubby in your cows do not use nutt-n-butt.  He is to much on a stout cow. He works as good as anything on a pretty fronted angular type cow. The other type will get round on you.

I like the Northern Improvement idea.  I have had and seen real good calves out of SOS, Morgans Direction, Lut, El Capitan and I think the Rodman bull is going to be good.

Sunset Hills

I would go with angus.  Like northern improvment or others.  Like Raven.  I'd use wmw