Selling calves off the cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

knighthawk

I have a guy that came out to look at a bull calf and ended up wanting our top purebred angus bull and purebred angus heifer as a package deal. It has been a while since we have sold anything directly off the cow (usually everything we offer is sold through our sale or at a show). What would be a good price on a top herd bull prospect and show heifer prospect directly off the cow at weaning time. These are top genetics and extremely nice calves.
Thanks

HAB

You said you have been selling your cattle through your own sale.  You should have a rough idea of what your cost per head from weaning to through the sale is (feed, promo, etc.)

If you think they will be your best, price them that way.  What has your top been?  Price them accordingly.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

How do you not know what your animals are worth? Look at what similar bloodlines are selling for and you should have an idea.

GoWyo

They are worth the same price they would bring at the sale in a few months.  No discounts for buying early.  If you have a sale, put your best stuff in it.  How would your customers like it if they found out you are selling the best stuff months before the sale?  Why bother going to the sale except for bargains?  This buyer is just looking for a bargain on your top shelf stuff.  I would keep the best stuff for the sale unless I received an offer I couldn't refuse.

farmboy

Market Price + LAbor Costs + Premium.
Figure up your costs, what the price is at the yard, and how much you want off the top.

Aussie

GoWyo said:
They are worth the same price they would bring at the sale in a few months.  No discounts for buying early.  If you have a sale, put your best stuff in it.  How would your customers like it if they found out you are selling the best stuff months before the sale?  Why bother going to the sale except for bargains?  This buyer is just looking for a bargain on your top shelf stuff.  I would keep the best stuff for the sale unless I received an offer I couldn't refuse.
I agree with everything GoWyo said.  They are worth now what they will be worth at the sale but don't devalue your sale tell them the date of the sale and ask them along. 9 times out of 10 these people are bargain shoppers not to be seen again.