seman tanks

Help Support Steer Planet:

texas111

What are yalls opinions on seman tanks.  I was thinking of purchasing the xc millenium.  What is the best product for the money?

chambero

I think that model is what I have.  Works fine.  My advice is buy from your local ABS guy that will keep it filled up for you.  Might cost a little more, but its worth letting them make a little money and you not having to worry about filling it yourself ever three months.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
On those semen tanks most of your good semen companies  that fill them have great people doing it, but if something go dry it your responsibility .We had a guy up here filling for one of thee top companies an has been for over twenty years an he has run dry a lot of people an still filling them ...Back when he was filling me I adopted the policy that I  check those jugs  once  at least every two weeks. I also got the company to switch dealers for me.

kidsandkows

I too was looking at buying one this spring. That I know of there is no one that comes around in this area and refills them. I was looking at a more expensive tank that had a longer holding time as I would have to drive a ways to get mine filled, and I don't plan to be using it but once maybe twice a year. But I will be curious to see what people on here think about some of these different options.

Biomurph

On a similar note, what is the recommended life of a semen tank.  Ours has to be pushing 15-20 years....should I be looking into a new one?

texas111

chamero is there anything wrong with me getting the tank filled at airgas?  or should i just do like you say and go with abs?

CAB

There's nothing wrong with getting your tank filled @ a welding supply business if that works well for you. We use both welding supply and our local ABS distributor. I would advise getting a 6 month holding capacity. You'll pay for the price difference quickly in fill charges along with more running around to get it filled yourself if that is how you chose to keep it safely charged. JMO. My tank is also + 30 years old.

chambero

texas111 said:
chamero is there anything wrong with me getting the tank filled at airgas?  or should i just do like you say and go with abs?

Nothing wrong at all going to Airgas if you can remember to do it.  I take mine to Airgas right before and right after breeding season so I know its full during use.  But ABS only charges $45 per quarter (I think that's right) to come by my house and fill my tank every three months.  Cheaper than my time and gas to go do it.  It costs me about $20 to get it filled at Airgas.

MCC

We get ours filled at Airgas. I think it costs more and is a pain but the guy that took over the business from our original guy let it run dry. Got to thinking one day hadn't seen him for a while, checked the tank and was runnin' on vapor. He called about 2 weeks later and said he was coming to fill it the next day, told him not to bother coming back. Short story long be sure and check your tank yourself every so often just to be safe. Some company's will store your tank for you when your not using it and keep it charged.