Semen dropped in a tank question

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

OK, so how do you retrieve semen when it has been dropped in the tank? We were AI'ing tonight and my husband allowed the goblet to drop to low before dropping the cane (which only has two straws at the bottom section) after grabbing a straw and the cane dropped into the tank instead of the goblet. I always get after him for bringing the goblet too high when pulling a straw, so he overcompensated and let it go too low  :-\
Thanks

cpubarn

Been there, done that.

I let the tank settle, and clear out.  Got a flashlight and a grabber tool that has 4 metal fingers used for picking up dropped screws, etc.

(picture of similar item @ http://arcmate.com/24lightedmechanicalpick-up.aspx)

I got ahold of it, then got it positioned in a steady spot, upright and ready (but in the cold).  Then in a second movement, took it out, and back into a canister...

If I can do it, ANYBODY can do it.  There is a dreamcatcher heifer in the pen behind the barn from the cane of sexed semen I did that to.  Or, take it to a bullstud and I am sure they would help you.

Mark

flacowman

cpubarn is right, and don't be afraid to bed the cane in 2 if you have to in order to get it out, and if you come up empty we pour all the N2 into a styrofoam cooler and fish the straws out of the cooler full of nitrogen.  We are usually able to salvage all but about a cup of the nitrogen

sue

firesweepranch said:
OK, so how do you retrieve semen when it has been dropped in the tank? We were AI'ing tonight and my husband allowed the goblet to drop to low before dropping the cane (which only has two straws at the bottom section) after grabbing a straw and the cane dropped into the tank instead of the goblet. I always get after him for bringing the goblet too high when pulling a straw, so he overcompensated and let it go too low  :-\
Thanks
Well, your hubby owes you dinner !! Pretty sure you'll need to empty the tank  to grab that straw at the bottom. 

HAB

cpubarn said:
Been there, done that.

I let the tank settle, and clear out.  Got a flashlight and a grabber tool that has 4 metal fingers used for picking up dropped scres, etc.

(picture of similar item @ http://arcmate.com/24lightedmechanicalpick-up.aspx)

I got ahold of it, then got it positioned in a steady spot, upright and ready (but in the cold).  Then in a second movement, took it out, and back into a canister...

If I can do it, ANYBODY can do it.  There is a dreamcatcher heifer in the pen behind the barn from that cane of sexed semen I did that to.  Or, take it to a bullstud and I am sure they would help you.

Mark

x2 the mechanics grabber works great for this

NSF

the grabber the others are talking about is great advice, I have had to use it a couple times. Also, if you swirl the tank around a bit, the vortex created should put any loose items in the bottom toward the center of the tank which will make it easier to see and grab.

firesweepranch

OK, this might sound stupid, but the grabber will not freeze? Does it have to be a certain material??? I have visions of my high school chemistry teacher taking a black piece of plastic, putting it in liquid nitrogen, and smacking it on the table only to have it shatter in a million pieces!!!

flacowman

We used a metal grabber, and it should not freeze or affect it in any way

Latest posts