Senior Showmanship

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattle7

Headed to a senior showmanship contest this weekend...really need to win this competition for my county. I need some advice on showmanship. Anything you think will help me win! Thanks.

AAOK

I have always said that Showmanship is won at home (by the one who has the best presented calf).  However, it is really won in Class.  Most Judges will be making note of Showmnanship during class competiontion, and already have the top 2-3 in mind when Showmanship begins.

Probably the most asked question to a Showman is:  "What would you change about your calf?"  In my opnion, the best answer, "You're the Judge, so whatever you say is what I would change."

Bradenh

i dont think i would dare answer like that, the judge asks what would you change, he asks that for a reason. if you say "i dont know thats your job to tell me" that doesnt really reflect your knowlege of your own cattle. there for not being on top of your showmanship

OKshorthorn

Show stopper 95 said:
i dont think i would dare answer like that, the judge asks what would you change, he asks that for a reason. if you say "i dont know thats your job to tell me" that doesnt really reflect your knowlege of your own cattle. there for not being on top of your showmanship

I think I would just agree with what AAOK says on this one.

AAOK

Show stopper 95 said:

That line helped my daughter over the edge at many competitions.  Of course, the line has to be delivered properly; tongue in cheek, with a beaming smile!
But, Presentation of the calf is ALWAYS top priority.

titan

you need to have your calve trained enough to where it sets it up by itself and then you can worry about the other attributes. Just pray that he doesnt make you switch calves with others.

KSUwildcat2009

I, for one, absolutely would not say "You're the Judge, so whatever you say is what I would change." If I were judging, that would say to me that you don't know your animal at all.  The point of showmanship is to be able to show your animal to its best, i.e. showing its faults out of it.  This requires knowing every single fault your animal has, no matter how small.  Work with your calf so you can "walk him/her into it" and have someone help you so you can tweek it's stance.  You never know, moving a foot up or back half a hoofwidth can totally change a calf's appearance.  My other big thing I look for in showmanship is if the exhibitor has confidence, but not cockiness.  Don't look like you're scared out of your mind!  Your animal can tell and so can the judge.  Be cool, calm and collected.  Just remember, your work is done at home and your most important impression is your first one, whenever that might be!  Good luck and let us know how you do!

Cattle7

Is it better to extend the arm I hold the halter with or keep it bent?

KSUwildcat2009

Depends on who you ask.  You definitely want to give your animal space.  Some prefer a fully straightened arm, some prefer a slightly bent elbow.  I can't keep my arm that straight for that long especially if I have a dead headed heifer and have to fight to keep her head up so I tend to keep mine slightly bent.  Stand up straight and make yourself comfortable which ever you decide to do.

Cattle7

Well the weekend is over & I was 3rd. Not what i wanted but I'll take it! :)

SFASUshowman

As a judge, answering with "Your the judge, so whatever you say" would be a sure fire way to get your self moved down a few spots for me, unless you were just  so good that you already had it wrapped up.  Contrary to a lot of peoples belief the way you show in your class and the way you answer your questions actually do have a lot to do with how you do in showmanship for most judges.  Unless you are at a show that runs showmanship first.  But if you come in the ring before showmanship and dont show worth a flip, I dont care how well you do in the Showmanship class, you probably arent gonna win for me.  Reason being if you do that its all about winning for you, not about pride in your project or good work ethic. If you had pride and good work ethic you would do your absolute best everytime you step through the gate of that ring, not just when you had a chance at winning.
And the question thing is to see how much you know.  Trying to tell me you agree with whatever I say just shows me that momma and daddy taught you to kiss a** to get what you wanted and that dont cut it for me.  I think you should work for and earn what you get.  That means learning something about your project and being able to give me a real answer to my questions.  You dont have to agree with the judge on what the biggest thing to change is, but if your calf is super powerful dont say you would make him more powerful, make your answer legitimate!

AAOK said:

Probably the most asked question to a Showman is:  "What would you change about your calf?"  In my opnion, the best answer, "You're the Judge, so whatever you say is what I would change."

Any GOOD judge would dismiss you in the blink of an eye if you said that back to him. Listen to what he says about your calf in his remarks in your class. Sometimes you can swap those around to help you out. When you are approached with that question the CORRECT answer would be "What I would like to change is _____, BUT what I do like about this calf is ____." I learned that from Kirk Stierwalt and I would dispute his advise.

AAOK

grand chaser09 said:
AAOK said:

I'm rather surprised at the coments this statement generated, so maybe I should explain.  This girl showed for her first time at a National show, and placed 11 out of 12 which motivated her beyond belief. At about 13-14 she had won most of the local and county cattle and showmanship shows to date, but was still in the middle of the pack at Nationals.  That was when everything changed.  Beside her studies, her show calves became her only hobby.  She worked her tail off at home, and was showing anywhere we could go.  By 16 she seldom saw a Judge she didn't know because she made a point to always talk to the Judge in the ring if possible, and always after the show.  The first time she told me about the "line in question" it was," he asked me what I would change about my heifer, and since his only negative was size, I told him I agreed with what he said, but I think she is just about perfect".  That was her first National showmanship victory. Again, she usually knew the Judge fairly well, and was rarely asked a question during showmanship, but did often initiate a conversation, and was most often victorious.  The "line" varied, but was always in agreement with the Judge's comments.  Call it Brown Nosing if you want. I prefer to call it Skill.  She gets that from her dear old Dad.