sept troubadour bull pic to cut him or to not him that is the???opinions wantd

Help Support Steer Planet:

McM93

PDJ said:
Cut the BS said:
Sassy2899 said:
If you are questioning yourself if you want to keep him a bull or make him a steer then you should just go ahead and cut him.  If you think he is going to make a good herd bull then he should make an excellent steer.  
x2
Hmm, Maybe time for a little Devil's advocate. ;)  I wonder how many times a potential good or great sire has been steered because of this thought.  Especially historically when the pendulum begins to swing from short to tall, and back.  I'm not saying anything about this particular calf, or even this time in the show calf industry, just a thought.  When Sugar Ray was a calf, many people thought he should have been steered because he wasn't big enough.  I remember looking at some Sugar Ray x Amerifax heifers and thinking about breeding them to Black Power Play.  The owner said the calves wouldn't get tall enough. (lol)
That is some funny stuff, especially to us oldtimers that were there...I remember buying steers and offered my money back if they did not at least reach 58". If I remember correctly, Sugar Ray had some bigger flushmates that did well as steers...
There seems to be some question of straightness, that is a decision the owner (who can see him walk) will have to deal with. I still respectively disagree with that if he will make a good bull, he would make a great steer. I couldn't imagine walking some of the maternal bulls out into a ring as show steers. Most would have hit the gate in Texas (non=placing). Never seen I-80 in person, but there is nothing about his pic that makes me think he would place at Fort Worth and even less of a chance in a slick show...and he is siring valueable cattle every day.

jhumphries

thanks for everyone thoughts.  in the late 90"s we owned part of rock on with my dads friend jim faulkner and jd anderson/power genetics.  we  raised steers over the years that won either grand or reserve champion at san angleo, ky and georgia state fairs, champion shorthorn at houston and  numerous small shows through the years along with some class winners at the n.a.i.l.e. so i would like to think that i am not barn blind on this calve. he is one of the most powerful muscled,good structued, good bone, good body with a tremendous top that we ever raised and he has a great dispostion and his dam is fertile ai"s every year those are important traits to us after all those rock on calves we had 15 years lol. the only reason why i would have ever considered cut him was for the money 5000 is pretty tough for me to turn down  if i dont sell the best one it makes my wallet thin but thanks cause like one of you all pointed out  i doubt i could afford to  go out and buy a replacement bull like him in a sale somewhere that is a maternal th clean bull with his muscle and stuff so with that said i am going to stick with my gut and leave him a bull. to the guy asking about goldmine cows we have four of them and every year they have our 4  best calves they are great fronted for 1/2 simmy cows all 4 milk awesome especially since 3 out of the 4  were out of club calve sired dams. dont know if we just hit it lucky but goldmine worked for us. 

CAB

jhumphries said:
thanks for everyone thoughts.  in the late 90"s we owned part of rock on with my dads friend jim faulkner and jd anderson/power genetics.  we  raised steers over the years that won either grand or reserve champion at san angleo, ky and georgia state fairs, champion shorthorn at houston and  numerous small shows through the years along with some class winners at the n.a.i.l.e. so i would like to think that i am not barn blind on this calve. he is one of the most powerful muscled,good structued, good bone, good body with a tremendous top that we ever raised and he has a great dispostion and his dam is fertile ai"s every year those are important traits to us after all those rock on calves we had 15 years lol. the only reason why i would have ever considered cut him was for the money 5000 is pretty tough for me to turn down  if i dont sell the best one it makes my wallet thin but thanks cause like one of you all pointed out  i doubt i could afford to  go out and buy a replacement bull like him in a sale somewhere that is a maternal th clean bull with his muscle and stuff so with that said i am going to stick with my gut and leave him a bull. to the guy asking about goldmine cows we have four of them and every year they have our 4  best calves they are great fronted for 1/2 simmy cows all 4 milk awesome especially since 3 out of the 4  were out of club calve sired dams. dont know if we just hit it lucky but goldmine worked for us. 
To me he looks every bit as good as some of the bulls that have been bringing very good coin on most of the on line sales here lately. I think he looks like one that would be promoteable especially with the right promoter. It can be tough to take one his age to Denver and get noticed against all of the coming one year old fuzzballs, but the up side of that is he would have a very good chance of having good semen ready to go instead of you crossing your fingers and hoping that he freezes in time. Wade Rodgers has done a phenomenal job promoting "off season" bulls. I think that I would ring his # and hopefully you could get him to take a look. He or some of the great promoters in the southern part of the country. I really like the looks of your bull along with his some what fresher pedigree. Good Luck with him Josh/Jackie.

McM93

CAB said:
jhumphries said:
thanks for everyone thoughts.  in the late 90"s we owned part of rock on with my dads friend jim faulkner and jd anderson/power genetics.  we  raised steers over the years that won either grand or reserve champion at san angleo, ky and georgia state fairs, champion shorthorn at houston and  numerous small shows through the years along with some class winners at the n.a.i.l.e. so i would like to think that i am not barn blind on this calve. he is one of the most powerful muscled,good structued, good bone, good body with a tremendous top that we ever raised and he has a great dispostion and his dam is fertile ai"s every year those are important traits to us after all those rock on calves we had 15 years lol. the only reason why i would have ever considered cut him was for the money 5000 is pretty tough for me to turn down  if i dont sell the best one it makes my wallet thin but thanks cause like one of you all pointed out  i doubt i could afford to  go out and buy a replacement bull like him in a sale somewhere that is a maternal th clean bull with his muscle and stuff so with that said i am going to stick with my gut and leave him a bull. to the guy asking about goldmine cows we have four of them and every year they have our 4  best calves they are great fronted for 1/2 simmy cows all 4 milk awesome especially since 3 out of the 4  were out of club calve sired dams. dont know if we just hit it lucky but goldmine worked for us.  
To me he looks every bit as good as some of the bulls that have been bringing very good coin on most of the on line sales here lately. I think he looks like one that would be promoteable especially with the right promoter. It can be tough to take one his age to Denver and get noticed against all of the coming one year old fuzzballs, but the up side of that is he would have a very good chance of having good semen ready to go instead of you crossing your fingers and hoping that he freezes in time. Wade Rodgers has done a phenomenal job promoting "off season" bulls. I think that I would ring his # and hopefully you could get him to take a look. He or some of the great promoters in the southern part of the country. I really like the looks of your bull along with his some what fresher pedigree. Good Luck with him Josh/Jackie.
Faulkner is a name I have not heard in years, bought our first WMW from him. She was a WMW-Draftpick, made a nice cow. I personally like the bull and wish you all of the luck in the world. Don't know Mr. Rogers, but You Tube is free... ;) I know it works because one of my associates wants to breed EVERYTHING to Firewater after seeing him on You Tube, heck I didn't know he had a computer... (lol)

Sassy2899

Please don't get me wrong on what I said before.  I know this calf looks great at the profile and appears to have that clubby bull look to him.  The only thing that catches my eye is that he is straighter out of his hock when you look at him from the side.  How does he tract? does he pop in his pasterns at all?  Do you have any videos of the calf or anything? 

jhumphries

I'm not sassy but to ansewer your questions he does not pop his pasterns at all that is one of the first thing i cut and cull on bought a set of Angus heifers five or six years ago and i leased black pearl to clean my cows up to and every one of those calves out of those Angus cows popped in the pasterns and now that is one of the first things i look at cause that just ruins a calve. He tracts beautifully lands constantly in his tracts. I do not have a video of him yet my seven year old son lost the battery and charger to the video camera.  i am going to see about finding a replacement battery and charger for it this week and get a video up on him asap  so everyone can see him on the move and get a better look at  his structure.

McM93

jhumphries said:
I'm not sassy but to ansewer your questions he does not pop his pasterns at all that is one of the first thing i cut and cull on bought a set of Angus heifers five or six years ago and i leased black pearl to clean my cows up to and every one of those calves out of those Angus cows popped in the pasterns and now that is one of the first things i look at cause that just ruins a calve. He tracts beautifully lands constantly in his tracts. I do not have a video of him yet my seven year old son lost the battery and charger to the video camera.  i am going to see about finding a replacement battery and charger for it this week and get a video up on him asap  so everyone can see him on the move and get a better look at  his structure.
I thought that stuff only happened at my house... (lol)