Setting prices on club calves.

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Dave said:
I always wondered how people set their premiums.  Is there a formula? lol.

You take what people will give, and double or triple it haha.  But really there IS a little bit of an actual process to it.  We figure that a show quality calf is worth at least double market price, and those are just county fair type calves.  Our "average"  show calf will be priced at about $1500, state fair calves are usually $2000 and over.  

cattleking

well you really have a point there set it too low youll have 20 offers, too high and you'll be lucky to get 1 offer!

Jill

At our house it is determined by how bad we want to show the calf, most prices are established by what I know I would have to pay to replace the calf.  If I want to keep and show it, we price it high and show it (until it normally does sell), we have had good luck doing it this way.

RSC

Jill said:
At our house it is determined by how bad we want to show the calf, most prices are established by what I know I would have to pay to replace the calf.  If I want to keep and show it, we price it high and show it (until it normally does sell), we have had good luck doing it this way.
Jill, it sounds like the going price is $1,500.  I'd give you that for the Radioactive Heifer? My oldest loved the picture of that heifer. LOL

Tony