Settle an argument...who has to open the gate?

Help Support Steer Planet:

RidinHeifer

If its someone not affiliated with the farm, the driver unless they offer ...which they should...  In this case, I'm assuming they are very affiliated so its all passenger, unless uncapable or like others have said!

GoWyo

Any decent person, doesn't matter where they are from, if they are sitting on the passenger side, will get out and open the gate unless they really shouldn't due to health concerns.  If you are in a crew cab with at least one person in the back seat, then the youngest teenaged passenger has to get the gate.

GoWyo

Any decent banker or parole officer will get out and get the gate.  Get new and improved ones if they don't.

RyanChandler

I'd feel like a schmuck sitting in the truck while the driver got out.  That's like not holding the door open for someone...or even worse them not saying thanks in return.  When this happens I always make a point to say, "you're welcome", in the most disdainful voice.

wonderchic

GoWyo said:
Any decent person, doesn't matter where they are from, if they are sitting on the passenger side, will get out and open the gate unless they really shouldn't due to health concerns.  If you are in a crew cab with at least one person in the back seat, then the youngest teenaged passenger has to get the gate.

^^^This is the practice we most often use, but the boys were gone for the day...so...passenger SHOULD HAVE OPENED THE GATE!!!  We have had a ton of fun this evening reading him the responses...lol...I bet this will count as a lesson learned!!

For those wanting to know...the Driver was my sister...the offending party eating the brownies (that she made for him) was her boyfriend...! So to say closely related...ummm, yeah.

cpubarn

Ok then, in 5 years. After she's married this Dude, and he forgets her birthday, don't say she wasn't warned!

vanridge

Passenger gets the gate except when hubby is driving and he has one of those fancy gates that you need pliers for to open or you'lll get zapped....you don't make proper gates, you're gonna have to open it yourself!
I agree with previous posts, if the guy won't open a gate for you when he's the passenger, while stuffing his face with a delicious HOME MADE brownie....she can do better  ;)
My hubby gets offended when I hold the door for him, he figures that's his job!! (married 11 years)
I suggest he buy her some flowers and beg for forgiveness <beer>

justintime

Never any arguements here about opening gates, as I don't have anything but Texas gates into my pastures. 10 of them in total and they work great if  they are kept cleaned out. Ever notice that if there are 3 of you riding in a truck, the real cowboy rides in the middle.... that way he doesn't have to open or close gates.

mooch

STOLE FROM MICHAEL MARTIN MURPHY..

The old hand was testin' the kid - on his skill and common
sense
He said "Son, if you seen three men in a pickup truck,
dressed alike from boot to hat,
could you tell which one was the real cowboy,
just from where he sat?"

The kid scratched his head awhile and then he said
"Well, there ain't no way to know".
The old hand grinned and then he said
"Kid, you've still got a ways to go.

The real cowboy's the one in the middle.
He ain't there just by fate.
'Cause first he don't have to drive, and then
he don't have to mess with the gate"

HAB

For those wanting to know...the Driver was my sister...the offending party eating the brownies (that she made for him) was her boyfriend...! So to say closely related...ummm, yeah.
[/quote]

She sould be looking for a new boyfriend....selfish and lazy...not a good combination.  ;D

BadgerFan

wonderchic said:

boyfriend and girlfriend should not be closely related!  ;D

passenger should offer, but some drivers (hosts) would prefer to close the gate so they know it's closed properly.  I prefer to close my own gates because some need to be closed a special way or I'll have cattle on the road which is never cool.

farmboy

where do you guys get all these brownies at? is it common place for cattle folk to just be carrying brownies in their cattle wagon?? AM I DOING IT WRONG??

GoWyo

Zach said:
where do you guys get all these brownies at? is it common place for cattle folk to just be carrying brownies in their cattle wagon?? AM I DOING IT WRONG??

You must be doing it wrong.  You need a girlfriend who bakes brownies and gets the gate when you drive.  ;D  If she is driving, you better be handling the gate duties, brownies or not.

firesweepranch

GoWyo said:
Zach said:

You must be doing it wrong.  You need a girlfriend who bakes brownies and gets the gate when you drive.   ;D  If she is driving, you better be handling the gate duties, brownies or not.

"like"  (thumbsup)

farmboy

GoWyo said:
Zach said:

You must be doing it wrong.  You need a girlfriend who bakes brownies and gets the gate when you drive.   ;D  If she is driving, you better be handling the gate duties, brownies or not.

I wouldn't let a woman drive my truck.

;D ;D ;D

GoWyo

Zach said:
GoWyo said:
Zach said:

I wouldn't let a woman drive my truck.

;D ;D ;D

Is it because it is a quirky POS or because they only need to know how to drive a shopping cart?  (clapping)  Just kidding ladies.  Most women are better drivers than men.