Seven Ts John

Help Support Steer Planet:

Will

Does anyone remember this bull.  I do not think I ever saw a picture of him does anyone have one.  I know he was used in Oklahoma quite a bit.  I was just looking through some of my best favorite cows and most go back to him a couple times.

cflem

I think he was the bull that Joe Farris and Mike Stephens had that they bought on a cow at a sale at Vic Taylor's. He was by a bull Cagwin bought for Vic in Canada that he called Touch of Class. He was a Duke of Dublin x Maine deal. his mother was a Leggs daughter out of
the old Bonnie's Princess cow that Ippensons won the Jr Nationals with in the mid-70's. She was by Mandalong Super Flag. Vic had 3 or4 full sisters of that mating. One of them was the mother of the 7T's Showtime bull we used in the late 80's. She eventually wound up at Bedwells along with her daughter that was a sister to Showtime that was by Deerpark Leader.

Joe and Mike called the bull Touch of Class and advertised him by that name.

justintime

I don't remember seeing a picture of Seven T's John but I heard many times that he was a great breeding bull. I also know a fair bit about his sire, IDS Touch of Class 30T, as he was raised here and we sold him to Vic Taylor in one of our production sales in the mid 80s.
Touch of Class was sired by IDS Duke of Dublin, the second Irish bull we imported from Ireland. His dam was a half Maine female that was sired by Highfield Irish Mist and she was out of a fullblood Maine dam. Irish Mist was the first bull we imported from Ireland. I was always told that you would never get a white calf from a fullblood Maine cow and a Shorthorn bull. I don't know if this was an old wive's tale or not but we certainly did in this case as the dam of Touch of Class was white. Her name was Gemvale Misty Clara 9K, and she was a very good female. I still consider her to be one of the best females ever to walk on our pastures. She was moderate framed and an absolute tank with a perfect udder.
IDS was the herd prefix we used for our partnership that imported Irish Shorthorns from Ireland. It stood for Irish Drovers Shorthorns. Gemvale Misty Clara 3K was bred in the Gemvale herd, owned by Don Murphy, who was one of my partners in the Irish Drovers. He lived in SW Saskatchewan then fairly close to where coyote does ( Muridale). Don Murphy moved nearly 1000 miles NW to Dawson Creek, BC to take over his father in laws farm and he still lives there today. If I can find a picture of Misty Clara 9K, I will scan it and add it later. She was truly a beautiful female .. then and now!
The dam of Seven T's John had some interesting genetics in her as well. She had two crosses of Irish blood through Deerpark Leader and WO Dividend 3J ( Legs). Her grand dam was a daughter of Mandalong Super Flag named Bonnie Princess and she was the Grand Champion female at the National Junior Heifer Show in the late 70s. I remember seeing this female and she was a very good female as well. She was one of the best Super Flag daughters I have seen.

Will

I would love to see the picture.  Thank you for the history lesson.