Sexed Semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sammy

How much less will the conception rate be by using sexed semen?  I know it is less but just how much.  Also what are the % of the desired sex?  With that information, except for perhaps a flush, someone please give me a situation where it would be an advantage to use sexed semen?  I have been told by one fellow that said he heard you will get 20 to 30% less conception, it costs substantially more and with that you will not get anywhere near 100% of the desired sex.  It seems that the bottom line is you will spend a lot more per straw for semen and get fewer AI calves.  In general, is this a good deal for anyone other than the semen companies?  Just asking?  What am I missing?

Show Heifer

The people (3 farms)  I know that used it last year for AI'ing, got between 70-75% conception.
All were heifers (15 calves)
They paid between $40-$60 per straw.

So, let see. They got good conception, got all heifers as they wanted, and paid basically double for semen (compare $30 for unsexed)
I don't see why that ISN'T a good deal.

I am using some this year.... I guess I will find out for myself!!

Silver

We use sexed semen because we have the cows that we want and we aren't looking to raise heifers. So all bull calves means a bigger profit because they can go into the show circuit while any heifers born are just going to be sold at market price to the feedlot. So basically if your selling club calves for a business it makes perfect sense.

PLKR

Silver said:
We use sexed semen because we have the cows that we want and we aren't looking to raise heifers. So all bull calves means a bigger profit because they can go into the show circuit while any heifers born are just going to be sold at market price to the feedlot. So basically if your selling club calves for a business it makes perfect sense.
Is there no demand for market heifers or commercial show heifers in your area??

Silver

There's not a ton of demand around here, because we their just isn't a big show industry. Its all range cows and feedlots. They almost all have to go to the feedlot because people around here need cattle that can travel to and from water on the range  and they just aren't bred to do that.

Show Heifer

Silver said:
There's not a ton of demand around here, because we their just isn't a big show industry. Its all range cows and feedlots. They almost all have to go to the feedlot because people around here need cattle that can travel to and from water on the range  and they just aren't bred to do that.

Are you implying/saying that show bloodlines do not make commercial cattle??? 
Once again I shake my head at the thought that, while a select will argue, many more agree that show cattle/show heifers do not make "good cows".  Exceptions to every rule, but few and far between.

I used sexed semen because I WANT heifers... much bigger market for heifers than that flurry one in a hundred steer. But again, I do not use a alot of "pure clubby" stuff either.
I sell to commercial cattleman and show herds.
So I guess you would sexed semen to increase the odds of getting what you want. Cost isn't much different.

Silver

I would say that around 80% of the cows around here are less than 1100 pounds for a reason, thats so they can survive on the range. It doesn't take as much feed and they can travel to water and salt without a problem. Then you try to put a cow that weighs 1400 out there and has to eat a ton more feed and lets face it club cattle are a lot better to look at, but they just don't travel like commercial cattle. I agree with you that club cows do fine in most commercial situatuions, but you can't just turn them loose on the range and expect them to do very well.