Shadybrook Sale Results

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

OH Breeder said:
I really like lot 4 and her daughter 5. From pictures they looked pretty complete. What they do for?

Lot 4 was four unsexed embryos from S Picture 201M. They sold for $500 each to Gana-Nisley, NE
Lot 4A - heifer calf sold for $4400 to Mark Pathy's girlfriend Jessica. She picked up a few heifers in the sale and is starting her own herd. They will be maintained at Shadybrook I expect.

trevorgreycattleco

justintime said:
trevorgreycattleco said:
Which bull did JIT buy?  I would have guessed lot 6 so I'm wrong. Just curious.

The lot 6 calf was called the best bull calf ever developed at Shadybrook by some, but I would not say that he was. He was a nice calf, but I did not like his shoulder and front end structure. I purchased Shadybrook Perfection 35S, Lot 8,who had been the senior herdsire at Shadybrook the past two years. I liked him two years ago when I saw him, and I felt he was the best herd sire they had used in some time. Actually, I was not planning to buy him, but when I saw he was selling relatively reasonably, I decided that he would be very good insurance if a bull got injured. I have seven pastures most years, so I need at least 7 sires. Having a good bull like Perfection in the sire line-up should be good. He is siring good calves with moderate BWs and good growth. I also got 200 straws of semen with him, so the price for the bull was actually pretty cheap. I got him for $4500. I don't know why, but so many breeders will chance an unproven calf before they will think about a proven herd sire who is doing a great job. To me, that doesn't make much sense.
Nice! Thanks JIT. Good luck with him. Proven bulls are way better than new ones IMO.

thunderdownunder

justintime said:
Okotoks said:
justintime said:
Okotoks said:
Thanks Jim
Would you have Lots 21, 29 and 32?

Yes, I bought lot 21 for Bell M. I may be a bit biased but I thought this was one of the buys of the sale. The sale overall was good, but there were several places where there were excellent buys.

Semen packages sold very well.
10 straws Waukaru Patent sold at $250 per straw to Dennis Shantz, Alberta
SB Proud Venture  5 straws @$150 each to Martin Mason, Ayr, ON and 5 @ $150 to RK Cattle Co, ON
DF Waco  5 straws @$275 each to Dixon Farms, AB and 5 @$250 to Jason Robinette, Oklahoma
Alta Cedar Emperor 10 straws @ $150 each to RK Cattle Co.
Do they have Patent at Shadybrook? What are their walking bulls?

Shadybrook has possession in  both Patent and Proud Venture. Both bulls look good. I like them both for different reasons.Patent combines combines calving ease with excellent muscle and style. Proud Venture is a free moving bull with big well formed feet, large testicles and excellent body length. He is probably looser hided that Patent and I expect he will sire some offspring that have good growth and flesh easily. Both bulls should do an excellent job with the set of cows that Shadybrook has. Waco is being used by AI and he should add another dimension to the Shadybrook program. I believe Alta Cedar Emperor is gone now, and from what I heard, they are not planning to use him much anymore.

I'm excited to see the calf that we're expecting next year by Patent out of my Shadybrook Scotty 83K daughter. Scotty has worked well over here and I think the Patent bull has a lot of potential.