Shark Cartilage

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shallene

Are the joint supplements containing shark cartilage effective in treating popping pasterns?  I have tried replamin gel and other joint supplements containing hyaluronic acid with no results.  Yes I know I should select calves with good structure to avoid however this calve looks structurally sound now and when he was purchased but he developed this issue late in the game after we have all the time and feed invested in him so we need to salvage what we can. 

Chuck Wagon

Trim the back hooves and see if that works.  Anti-pop works before the show and you can order it online.  Replamin Gel has Selenium which can ease the popping but research has shown that Selenium poisoning can result when the dietary selenium exceeds 5 ppm. 

ColdWthr

I had one do the exact same thing.  All her angles were right but she knuckled bad.  Trim his back heels lightly off every 2 weeks, put him on natural stride extreme, and hope for the best.  It'll help but may not solve it.  There's nothing worse than having one that is awesome and sound looking standing still but can't move. 

Tallcool1

The shark cartilage contains supplements that lubricate the joint.

Pasterns problems are typically more of a geometry thing or tightness of the tendons/ligaments.  If your steer is fat, cool off his ration.  Hot rations can cause some of the tightness in the pastern.

As others have said, trim all of the heel off his feet...without getting him sore. 

Good luck!