Shaving Cream on Legs?

Help Support Steer Planet:

grandchamp58

I heard from my friend that putting shaving cream on your cattle's legs and combing and blowing it in promotes hair growth and trains hair to stand up. Is this true? If not, does shaving cream do anything on the legs? And if it does, would shaving cream with menthol sting or cause a reaction like sullivan's lintamint (chilling sensation) by any chance? Thank you!

chambero

I use shaving cream every year to help break new fall hair. Use it once or twice a week, rinse out next day.  Menthol doesnt hurt.

sackshowcattle

yes it works but what is out there now isn't nearly as good as back in the day. In my opinion when pattern supply was still around it was hard to beat their paper label final gloss over colgate regular shaving cream for the whole calf. the colgate would set up so hard you couldn't run a comb through it and the final gloss(original formula) was a heavy enough oil to break it down to comb easy but hold and since it was a heavy oil it made them really shine.

ruhtram

In my opinion it helps. Like you said he helps keep the hair in place so it gets trained faster! Best of luck!

AAOK

Hair gel works better, and is less damaging to the hair.  Also is great to add a tube to your sheen/vinegar mixture.

mainegirl

So y'all have sparked my interest in this. How exactly do you use it? Do you wash them first and get them dry, then apply the shaving cream, comb/brush it in the direction you want and then blow it in, or just leave it after you brush it? 

Thanks for posting this topic! :)

Sparkle

Shaving cream won't hurt their skin. I found that the cheaper creams work well for everday stuff like hair training. Blow in with cattle blower. I do like the menthol the best. It also washes out easily.