shedding out before fair

Help Support Steer Planet:

gw197510

I am new to this game, can someone help me understand the hair shedding cycle?  Does a steer have to shed out now in order to grow new hair before the state fair or do you try to keep the hair he has?

Earthmover

I don't know about everybody else but we slick shear them around Easter to save on the hassle of shedding them out. The Ohio State fair is in August and they have all grown it back. Start at the lower stiffel and go up. Leave the belly hair and on the legs. With the genetics of todays cattle growing hair is not that much of an issue. We also have a cool room.

I was taught to rinse calves 2-3 times a day with cold water, high pressure on the nozzle for a minimum of 20 minutes, combing all the hair straight up afterwards.  Water pressure helps shed out, the cold and stimulation of the cold encourages new hair growth and thickness.

Works very well combined with a good fan system or cold room.

sue

I agree with both replies- dont forget to treat for lice too, it's spring time. Good Luck at the fair

The Show

We always slick our calves after Houston(mid March). They have to shed it all first anyway so you pretty much just speed up the process. Keep rinsing and working their hair like you normally would and this spring/summer when everybody else's calves have red dead hair your calf's hair will be pretty, growing, and all around better.