shorthorn AI bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

Waukaru

Chandler said:
Okotoks said:
Crooked Post Grissom is another bull that should be mentioned. He is being used in Australia,Canada and the US and has some pretty impressive numbers with high accuracy. There were some darn good sons of his at the battle River sale last weekend with the high seller going to Shadybrook. That son had awesome scan results as well.

CE    BW    WW   YW    Milk    MW   MCE
6.9   0.0     31     50      9       24     6.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63VjYdGTxNs&feature=player_embedded
Why isn't this bull more popular? This is one of the best looking shorthorn bulls I've come across.  Homo polled and cherry red!  He might be a little cow hocked (like 90% of shorthorns I'VE seen out there) but other than that- heck of a bull!    We will have a couple of sons selling in our bull sale on March 31. 

jaimiediamond

Waukaru said:
Chandler said:
Okotoks said:
Crooked Post Grissom is another bull that should be mentioned. He is being used in Australia,Canada and the US and has some pretty impressive numbers with high accuracy. There were some darn good sons of his at the battle River sale last weekend with the high seller going to Shadybrook. That son had awesome scan results as well.

Why isn't this bull more popular? This is one of the best looking shorthorn bulls I've come across.  Homo polled and cherry red!  He might be a little cow hocked (like 90% of shorthorns I'VE seen out there) but other than that- heck of a bull!    We will have a couple of sons selling in our bull sale on March 31. 

The Grissom bull is one that I plan on using in the near future as I really think he was one of the greats.  I had hoped that we would come home with the 26Y son from the Battle River Sale who really typed like his sire.  Hopefully Shadybrook sells semen on that 26Y bull in the future! 

I am currently working with a commercial breeder who runs a number of Shorthorn bulls and he has a bull that might end up being promotted as he really is one of the best bulls I have seen.  He was used by Saskvalley naturally before he was purchased and has been used heaviliy used commercially since.  This bull is a dark roan.  His CE is really high and his calves are showing a lot of performance in commercial settings against Angus, and Simmental sired calves.

Attachments

• aen57U.jpg
    aen57U.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 437

Okotoks

Waukaru said:
Chandler said:
Okotoks said:

That's a good question. His CE BW and performance numbers are in the very top of the breed. Moderate framed and easy fleshing. The genetics are conisitent. He has a full brother Arbutus seing service at Crooked Post and the Arbutus daughters at the Battle River Sale were very nice females. His dam and her full sister are fantastic looking females. For those that are breeding bulls for the commercial market Grissom or a son would be a pretty safe bet.

Shorthorn Newbie

Hi Okotoks (or anyone),  we purchased one of the heifers (58Y) sight unseen in trust of Kirk at CP. We wanted to get a couple heifers but the prices on the ones we wanted got a little higher than we could afford but I'm really happy we got one at least to bring into Minnesota. We are having her A.I.'d to Belmore Jackaroo over the summer with delivery in the fall.
Having seen them first hand would you say we will be happy with the 58Y heifer? Just looking for other opinions and any reassurance our money was well spent.
I too really like the Grissom bull but apparently his semen is either in short supply or gone in the U.S.??? The 26Y bull was one we liked too but again the prices got out of our small operation's range.
Thanks so much for any thoughts!!

Okotoks

Shorthorn Newbie said:
Hi Okotoks (or anyone),  we purchased one of the heifers (58Y) sight unseen in trust of Kirk at CP. We wanted to get a couple heifers but the prices on the ones we wanted got a little higher than we could afford but I'm really happy we got one at least to bring into Minnesota. We are having her A.I.'d to Belmore Jackaroo over the summer with delivery in the fall.
Having seen them first hand would you say we will be happy with the 58Y heifer? Just looking for other opinions and any reassurance our money was well spent.
I too really like the Grissom bull but apparently his semen is either in short supply or gone in the U.S.??? The 26Y bull was one we liked too but again the prices got out of our small operation's range.
All the Crooked Post heifers were good buys. A very nice group of heifers, I bet sold as breds next fall they would easily bring $3500 plus. The Belmore Jackaroo bull has worked very well on the Crooked Post bloodlines so you could get a pretty exciting calf from 58Y. I think you will be very pleased when you take delivery.

Shorthorn Newbie

Thanks Okotoks!! We are excited about her, wishin' we had bit the bullitt though and got 55Y or 71Y to go with her but that is spilt milk now. Maybe in the Fall Classic we can find one to come down with her. Thanks again for your comments.

DRB

Shorthorn Newbie said:
Thanks Okotoks!! We are excited about her, wishin' we had bit the bullitt though and got 55Y or 71Y to go with her but that is spilt milk now. Maybe in the Fall Classic we can find one to come down with her. Thanks again for your comments.

Just curious, but which Fall Classic sale are you talking about?

Congrats on your purchase!

DRB

Shorthorn Newbie said:
Sorry, my bad, I meant the 2nd All Star Classic in October.

No worries, I thought you might have been talking about the Ontario Fall Classic Sale every October as well :)

EaglesNest

Shorthorn Newbie said:
Last time I emailed kirk I was told he had to replenish supply of cp grissom at hawkeye breeders facility and it would ship from there. Unless its changed he quoted $100 per unit

justintime

Here is HC Leader's Legacy 9U x - an ET son of TPS Coronet Leader 21st and Shadybrook Presto 73G x.  Leader's Legacy had a BW of 78 lbs and is jointly owned by Ryan Galbreath, Enderlin, ND and by Horseshoe Creek. We have semen in the US. Here is a pic of Leaders Legacy and his dam Presto.

Attachments

• HC Leader's Legacy 9Usm.jpg
    HC Leader's Legacy 9Usm.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 327
  • Shadybrook Presto 73G x- 2007sm.jpg
    Shadybrook Presto 73G x- 2007sm.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 321

justintime

Another low BW bull is Hillside Leader x.  - 70 lb BW homozygous polled.  Owned by Bill and Joe Bales, in Tennessee and Horseshoe Creek. Waukaru in Indiana recently purchased a syndicate interest in him and are using him heavily in their herd.

Attachments

• Hillside Leader - 14 months sm.jpg
    Hillside Leader - 14 months sm.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 288

justintime

HC FL Touchdown 123T ET x - 2009 Canadian National Champion bull. BW 82 lbs. . He sires super thick moderate framed offspring. His first daughters in production have great udders and milk well. Here ia a picture of Touchdown and his full sister.

Attachments

• HC Lady Louisa 12T (2)sm.jpg
    HC Lady Louisa 12T (2)sm.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 313
  • The 2009 Canadian National Champion on pasture.jpg
    The 2009 Canadian National Champion on pasture.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 312

blackdiamond

Golly dang, I'm behind in the times- better get to self promotion like the many posts above me.

In the order of which I would use them for the scenario...

Attachments

• 1215121701.jpg
    1215121701.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 287
  • redline mature good.jpg
    redline mature good.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 297
  • Line Cruiser.jpg
    Line Cruiser.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Trend x Harmony.jpg
    Trend x Harmony.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 272

RyanChandler

Shorthorn Newbie said:
I would consider Homedale Creole 135 through Genex, FS 6.7, calving ease and 890 pounds at  8 months with 13.9 REA. Nice looking red bull. He was at Denver in 2012.
He sure had a pretty girl showing him at the NWSS last year.

Latest posts