shorthorn breeders/sales

Help Support Steer Planet:

jdgraham515

Looking to pick up a show heifer this summer/fall. Any places that have some high quality animals kind of under the radar? I'd like to get to Cates and sullivans sales but not sure on what they avg at their sales

mark tenenbaum

DTR CattleCompany Raymond Kansas they have a web site and some pretty competitive cattle.:  file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/DTR%20Cattle%20Company%20--%20Raymond,%20Kansas.htm  Thier calves are developed slower-and although green,come on later. When the other ones get stale,maybe were too fat too young,theirs are 4 oclock,see it every year. The blue roan pictured was a very resonable buy in that sale,and was that type,but is already winning,and was a recent champion in Minnesota,early on.She's still green and has a ton of gas left:which she should,only being a lttle over 10 months old in the picture There are also pockets of real good cattle all over,like Mitchell Family in Iowa-although they arent under the radar.If you list an idea of price,and location,we can give you options. O0

Attachments

• mms95img394639720.jpg
    mms95img394639720.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 308

Shorthorns4us

I don't think this is any secret-- but if you go to Cates and/or Sullivan's sales- be prepared to open your checkbook! 

I would recommend coming to Southwest Iowa for a weekend.  There are lots of small/medium size breeders all within driving distance that all have good stock.  Someone should have something that would work for you.  You could come around the time Studer's have their sale--that is a good weekend.  Studer sale is pretty reasonable on prices and high on quality.  Then you can hit other breeders that are a rock's throw:  Tim Loudon- Creston, Bill Nichols- Atlantic, Ford Family- Fontanelle, Gilman's- Stuart, Charlie Obrecht- Harlan, PAHA- New Virginia, Bernie Bolton- Oakland,  etc.-- the list goes on and on in this corner of the state.  I know I didn't think of everyone off the top of my head-- check out the ASA member list.
EF

jdgraham515

Thanks for the replies. I'm more interested in going to Cates and Sullivan's I guess to see the quality first hand and who knows may find a deal on one. A trip to Iowa may just workout too I always see a lot of sales come fall time out there.

Spencer10218

You could also check out farrer stack farms they usually have some pretty good ones

OH Breeder

jdgraham515 said:
Looking to pick up a show heifer this summer/fall. Any places that have some high quality animals kind of under the radar? I'd like to get to Cates and sullivans sales but not sure on what they avg at their sales

If you are looking for a show heifer- cates and sullivan are like Ford everyone knows the name. But there are lots of breeders out there making competitative show stock and you can acquire heifers at a reasonable price. We had a great one from wes keller and I know zach gray has some good shorthorns. Both in IL. Breeders World and Caldwell sales both have some top notch sales. I suggest going to see calves in person but you don't have to go to Cates and Sullivans to get what you want. Both breeders are very reputable and have been in the business a while.  Expand your horizons. John sullivans brother lives around the corner from him has a sale every september that ALOT of good shorthorn cattle come out of. Joe is great to talk to and has some of the same genetics his brother has. Lot of cattle that fit a variety of price ranges. Nice group to deal with as well.
What level do you want to compete at? What do you want to do with the heifer when you are done showing?

trevorgreycattleco

jdgraham515 said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm more interested in going to Cates and Sullivan's I guess to see the quality first hand and who knows may find a deal on one. A trip to Iowa may just workout too I always see a lot of sales come fall time out there.

You're drinking the kool aid. Those places are nice. Folks are very nice at either place. Animals are pampered beyond belief. The problem is you'll have a hard time getting your money back on your investment. The odds are stacked against you. Everybody already has those genetics so the demand isn't there for an outsider looking to sell. studers. Leveldale. Jordan Acres. Or any of the above mentioned farms will give you more bang for your buck. Id find a female that is out of the  Rosewood cow family. Tremendous cow family.

All this is just my opinion. Some on here may disagree.

mark tenenbaum

Well put;I dont disagree at all.It depends upon where these people are and what they want to spend,or how competitive they want to be:at that price. I dont really see a clear cut answer to any of the above in their resposes so far.I do see $3000 and (sometimes) less hiefers winning classes with $15000 hiefers down the line and becoming good cows-partially because they are developed to become cows,and-or- look like cows to begin with:but everyone has different goals. But I think it is quite clear that the preassure from the powers that be at the Association is aimed squarely towards documented functional cattle,and Sullivan who is a great breeder,albeit marketer,has been headed in that direction for awhile;and the genetics are becoming available by default;to the huddled masses.So the show ring phenotype will follow suit,maybe gradually, but change is inevitable. O0

Will

A lot of the times you are paying as much for the program as you are for the calf.  At times it is money well spent and other times it is not.  There are a lot of small breeders that have the same genetics available but do not have the skill set to develop those calves and it will take time for them to become competitive.  First I will say we have never won champion hiefer at a major show.  We have never spent very much on a heifer and I feel like we have shown cattle that have represented our program very well. But if you are going to spend lets say less than $3000 you have to be very picky and be prepared to make a cow out of them after 6 months of feed and they are not were you want them to be, so make sure you are buying future cows.

On another note I will echo what Mark is saying. I believe the direction of the breed is changing.  I had a long time breeder tell me a year ago that big type changes were coming within the breed.  When ever one line of genetics has ran it's coarse in any breed you will usually see some dramatic changes.  Almost every breeder I talk to is looking for the same thing and when the right breeder finds and promotes it that breeder will make a fortune. 

jdgraham515

Thanks again for all the responses. I actually feel like I gained some positive knowledge out of this and selecting the next animals to add to the herd. Thanks again

jdgraham515

As far as a price range I'm in I really don't know. $30,000 is not an option but I have a pretty open budget. I guess it all depends on how bad I think I need what I see.