Shorthorn bull calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakview

Looks like he's going to have some depth of middle.  I like 'em with a little more eye appeal, but he might have some use with his genetics.  Post some more photos as he develops.

Duncraggan

Good head, well laid in shoulders, tight sheath and good length of body. I think he should develop well. Good luck with him.
Any figures?

3 Eagles shorthorns

I agree not a whole lot of eye appeal. He is out of a first calf heifer born the first of May . 74 lb birthweight. I will probably end up cutting him but there are certain times he stands or moves in a way that make him look like he will turn into something.

librarian

I wouldn't worry about eye appeal- sounds like you are interested in making beef Shorthorns. He could line up with Kaper stuff. He has good heart girth- that appeals to my eye.
I guess Yesterday threw some big calves?, but combined with 26A this could be the marbling combination everyone is chasing at the moment. What was your calf's birth weight and shape? What's the other half of the dam? (thinking she is a 26A daughter)
I'm still hoping roan and marbling will get associated.

librarian

Well, your calf is kind of an example of cross breeding within a breed, so who knows what he will throw. He might make some decent blue roans on black cows that are already built the way you want. There is likely more market for blue roan females than anything else be might produce. And there is DS to test for. Just my thoughts. Thanks for posting the pedigree. Your herd is always interesting.