Shorthorn Bull Pictures

Help Support Steer Planet:

Haynes Livestock

I am trying to choose what bull to breed my heifer to, and have narrowed it down to TM Gus, Hillside Leader, or Martindell Blaster (at least I think that's right?). I am pretty sure I will be using Gus, but I wanted to get an idea of what the other two bulls looks like.. any clue as to where I could find pictures of them? It would just be nice to see them. Thanks!

JoeBnTN

Haynes Livestock said:
I am trying to choose what bull to breed my heifer to, and have narrowed it down to TM Gus, Hillside Leader, or Martindell Blaster (at least I think that's right?). I am pretty sure I will be using Gus, but I wanted to get an idea of what the other two bulls looks like.. any clue as to where I could find pictures of them? It would just be nice to see them. Thanks!

I sent you a PM, but here's a couple of pics we've used in ads.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1927-sm.JPG
    IMG_1927-sm.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1866 - small.JPG
    IMG_1866 - small.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 218

Haynes Livestock

Thanks! I'm open to everything really. I like to hear opinions on everything because I honestly don't know that much about any of the bulls!

Jasmar

Here is a picture of Martindell Blaster. He was a Double Stuff son that we raised and used very successfully. We sold him to Carolina Cattle Company in South Carolina in 2001. He has 115 calves registered to him with a birth weight epd of 2.3. He sired very correct, stylish and functional cattle that were very marketable and made excellent cows. We never really used him on heifers but he probably would be as safe as the other bulls you have named. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• blaster.jpg
    blaster.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 190

OH Breeder

Jasmar said:
Here is a picture of Martindell Blaster. He was a Double Stuff son that we raised and used very successfully. We sold him to Carolina Cattle Company in South Carolina in 2001. He has 115 calves registered to him with a birth weight epd of 2.3. He sired very correct, stylish and functional cattle that were very marketable and made excellent cows. We never really used him on heifers but he probably would be as safe as the other bulls you have named. Hope this helps.

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't use a BW EPD of 2.3 on a heifer. Have you all used him on heifers? I knokw with the "new" shorthorn epd system that it may be "off" a little. Double stuffs in my experience have not been calving ease. Not because of birthweight because of calf shape.

sue

I would make sure the "a.i" that you are using has DNA, TH and PH statis recorded with the ASA too. The list is posted on line.

JoeBnTN

sue said:
I would make sure the "a.i" that you are using has DNA, TH and PH status recorded with the ASA too. The list is posted on line.
I would agree with Sue about the need to check TH, PHA status.  But don't rely just on the web site - it's not always immediately up to date.  In fact, I just looked at our bull and it has his PHA results but not his TH, yet the tests were done the same time and I have the results for both.  You may want to check with the breeder/owner of the bull if your not sure.

BTW, our Leader bull is not only TH/PHA free, but also IBR free which is somewhat uncommon.

mark tenenbaum

This is a calving ease bull called Panama Red out of Martins Vintage (maine) and a Cumberland-Rose-Picture Perfect. Hes sird a few real nice calves-all small Bw and smooth shaped-Pictured is a hiefer who will show in Texas-she was TINY at birth,and is a linebred Rose-picture PerfectxImprover 57 O0

Attachments

• sale calves002.JPG
    sale calves002.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 358
  • Panama.jpg
    Panama.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 350

Haynes Livestock

Thank you! And yes I probably won't Blaster merely because of his BW EPD. Don't get me wrong, he's a good bull! And a possibility for future cows, but I just don't want to risk it with a heifer. And I am also concerned with TH & PHA status.. I will be sure to check on that with the owners.
Mark - Martins Vintage is a maine? He looks like he has very nice heifers, but I really want to stick with purebred shorthorns for now. Thank you though!

I also want to ask everyone to please pray for my dad as he had a heart attack saturday. He's doing better but he still needs prayers.. he doesn't like being kept away from the farm! We have just got into the shorthorn business (I suppose it's his mid-life crisis and I'm just lucky that it's something I also love!) and he's been so excited about it. He's been such a big part in helping me with my heifer while I'm at college.. he combs her out & feeds her every day, has made a new stall in the barn for her, and has built a very nice clipping chute. We have worked on this project together and were supposed to start off with the open show at the Ohio Beef Expo, but we may not be able to go now. I know he's probably going to be more disappointed than I will if we don't get to go. So please just keep him in your thoughts.. thank you!

JoeBnTN

Haynes Livestock said:
Thank you! And yes I probably won't Blaster merely because of his BW EPD. Don't get me wrong, he's a good bull! And a possibility for future cows, but I just don't want to risk it with a heifer. And I am also concerned with TH & PHA status.. I will be sure to check on that with the owners.
Mark - Martins Vintage is a maine? He looks like he has very nice heifers, but I really want to stick with purebred shorthorns for now. Thank you though!

I also want to ask everyone to please pray for my dad as he had a heart attack saturday. He's doing better but he still needs prayers.. he doesn't like being kept away from the farm! We have just got into the shorthorn business (I suppose it's his mid-life crisis and I'm just lucky that it's something I also love!) and he's been so excited about it. He's been such a big part in helping me with my heifer while I'm at college.. he combs her out & feeds her every day, has made a new stall in the barn for her, and has built a very nice clipping chute. We have worked on this project together and were supposed to start off with the open show at the Ohio Beef Expo, but we may not be able to go now. I know he's probably going to be more disappointed than I will if we don't get to go. So please just keep him in your thoughts.. thank you!
So sorry to hear about your father - hope he's doing better now. 

Haynes Livestock

He is! He hates being in the hospital but he's made a really good recovery. He may even get to go home tomorrow morning! Now we just have to make sure he doesn't overdo it when he gets home.. I know he's going to try! But thank you!