Shorthorn Bulls of the Past

Help Support Steer Planet:

frostback

blackdiamond said:
frostback said:
So your statement was a lie?

I just praise the Candadian lords that he allows people, his hommies, to visit this site--  I love those original Okies...  Without people like you Frosty, this site would be so emotionless. 

Can someone translate this for me, I dont get it.

blackdiamond

J2F said:
Has anyone mentioned HS Rodeo Drive 062WR?

He's usually pretty far away from sentences talking of show steers.

Carl:  How about your little snappy bull?  is he heifer safe?  Yet can produce a good one?  Looking for something to breed to Redline daughters first time around.

[email protected]

Do you know someone with snappy semen.  Yes he would be heifer safe. His birthstone was upper 70's.  I was headed to promote him as heifer safe.
we had res champion at new Mexico state fair out of him. I gave the snappy semen to someone.  I can't remember who. He was a full brother to heifer that won American royal Jr show. I would like to have that semen back.

blackdiamond

Do you know someone with snappy semen.  Yes he would be heifer safe. His birthstone was upper 70's.  I was headed to promote him as heifer safe.
we had res champion at new Mexico state fair out of him. I gave the snappy semen to someone.  I can't remember who. He was a full brother to heifer that won American royal Jr show. I would like to have that semen back.

Garris thinks SEK has some.

sackshowcattle

skeeter said:
Ka Ba Keystone had a few good years. lol   Sorry i don't have any pics.  very little semen out there too.  wasn't tested for ph or th.  We never had any freaks out of him though.

He was a roan bull wit the biggest hip you ever seen and was huge boned as well.  Calves done really well on feed.

Calves won the following state fairs.   Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Oklahoma State fair, Tulsa State fair, Missouri, San Antonio (2), Ft Worth, Texas State fair, New Mexico state fair,  Champion Chi at the Spring Fair in OKC(black Steer), Champion Shorthorn Futurity at Louisville NAILE
First year his calves were shown in FT Worth they won 2 classes and had 7 steers in the top 5 of their class.

Res Grand Overall at Texas State Fair and Cow Palace.  2 Res Grand Prospects at junior nationals

Champion Junior Shorthorn heifer at American Royal, OYE, and Colorado State Fair.

Grand son out of a daughter was res grand at Jr Nationals in KC.  Grand sons that I know of won Champion at OYE, Class winners at Houston, San Antonio, ft worth and probably some more.

Handy Dandy's dam was a keystone daughter (kris Black bull)
Maybe some i don't know too for we sold lots of semen.  According to registration at the Shorthorn Association he was the 7th most used sire of the breed.  Cant remember what year that was.

I am a little proud of him cause he was mine. (thumbsup)

Agree wholeheartedly.  If someone had one or ten Keystones today I'd be on the road heading their way.  Remember seeing lots of Venable Keystone steers in Texas and they were sure nuff powerhouses and did lots of winning.  Could always count on Carl Fox having a great Keystone shorthorn and a great Hereford from Doug Ford.  If anyone has Keystone semen they've got a probability, not a possibility, to raise some powerful steers.  I think he would work for the majors here in Texas even today.  Loved those calves, you're to be congratulated, Carl, on some very, very good years. 

Actually Joe still has keystone and his pokemon bull in the tank. Along with a lot of old genetics that are hard to find. I know a year ago he was alking about selling everything in the tank and starting fresh, But last I knew he still had it.

[email protected]

Wow.  I figured they would have thrown it away. When he was born.  I thought what a sorry little calf.  Then at 4 months he started developing to the coolest calf I had seen in a while.he was not huge boned.  Like all heifer bulls he was just average boned.  We named him snappy because of his color and cool look.  His color was like a snappy dresser.
I have a great set ofbig boned keeper heifers born last summer that I would breed snappy to them.  I believe I will call sek.

blackdiamond

Wow.  I figured they would have thrown it away. When he was born.  I thought what a sorry little calf.  Then at 4 months he started developing to the coolest calf I had seen in a while.he was not huge boned.  Like all heifer bulls he was just average boned.  We named him snappy because of his color and cool look.  His color was like a snappy dresser.
I have a great set ofbig boned keeper heifers born last summer that I would breed snappy to them.  I believe I will call sek.

I heard quite the story about you, Snappy, and SEK>

blackdiamond

Okotoks said:
blackdiamond said:
Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Equity's Charmer. Eskimo Joe.

Bullet point 1 wants non- carriers.

Carrier:
Polar Express
Kool
BR Windstar
Goldmine

Non- Carrier
SS Super Sport
Flashback
Eskimo leggs
Leggs
Dividend
ZTA Smooth Criminal
Candian bulls
Red Maine bulls (3/4 shorthorn)

and I'm sure there is more- just have to think about what bulls I've researched...

there are getting to be a couple of very distant ds or dv clean bulls out there now, like inferno, the MCF bull, and the new double bred war horse cattle visions has that looks interesting.
This is a misleading statement, I would not want to assume all Red Maines are defect free. It is a fact there are TH carrier Shorthorn bulls in Canada. I think Australia might be one of the few countries where TH carrier bulls had little impact. Shorthorn genetics go back and forth across the US/ Canadian border on a regular basis and before testing so did the defects :(
Just thought I'd mention it so as to have the truth and cut the BS.

I was unaware of any Candians promoting THC bulls- I'd like for you to show me one, as I'm sure it would be the only one that would be worth using from above the border. 

J2F

blackdiamond said:
J2F said:
Has anyone mentioned HS Rodeo Drive 062WR?

He's usually pretty far away from sentences talking of show steers.

I guess I missed the show steer part. I am not a big show steer guy and didn't realize some of the bulls mentioned was known for that but I must ask  if you check the maternal sire for some of those show steers will you see Rodeo Drive?

Why in a maternal breed such as shorthorn is the topic of the  Bull that makes the cow that makes the show steer just as important?

Why the genetic free? If you talking terminal show animal why limit it to genetic free when no rules in place exclude them?

Not trying to start anything here just a couple of questions. Curiosity thing.

blackdiamond

J2F said:
I guess I missed the show steer part. I am not a big show steer guy and didn't realize some of the bulls mentioned was known for that but I must ask  if you check the maternal sire for some of those show steers will you see Rodeo Drive?
Maybe, but probably not in most cases.  Most show steer producing deals go back to Maine or Irish- usually both with a touch of Chi or something else exotic.  I'm not saying the RD decendants don't exist in the show steer deal- just not the majority of them.
Why in a maternal breed such as shorthorn is the topic of the  Bull that makes the cow that makes the show steer just as important?
It should be, but like all show steer type pedigrees-- you've got the have extremes stacked onto p of each other pretty extreme.
Why the genetic free? If you talking terminal show animal why limit it to genetic free when no rules in place exclude them?
Your point above- trying to use on the carrier animals from the above descriptions-- maine (PHA) and irish (TH).  All of the current show steer producing mama cows, are already dirty carriers- thus needing something outcross, and clean to breed them to.

All the bashing I do of clubby producers, probably is a little extreme- cuz I'm guity of it myself to some degree.  I have carrier cows, and don't feel like it's justifiable, or profitable to get rid of them-- just try to breed around it.  I know I'm not going to be breeding to any known carrier bulls though- and hopefully through the course of time with testing involved, I'll be able to do away with the carrier females.  Will that happen, probably not- but I'd like it to.  Now, I'm not gearing my operation to produce shorthorn show steers, but I am gearing it to produce muscular cattle-- with that said, I've got to use the show steer bloodlines to keep and get the muscle I desire.  In the mean time, if I'm making calves that will compete as steers- I'll sell them-- but it's not my personal goal.  Heck, just last night I sold a very good candidate for a showy steer- to be one. 

I also do quite a bit of knocking of the breeding show cattle bloodlines, as I know they will not be able to help me acheive my goals 90+% of the time, and I feel that while the show steer bloodlines can help the commercial producer in terms of adding muscle-- I don't feel as if these breeding show cattle bloodlines offer anything to the commercial man.  While, I sit here and do my own little thing, I know the commercial man has his brain int he right palce, and wonder if anyone else (myself included) does?

J2F

blackdiamond said:
J2F said:
Maybe, but probably not in most cases.  Most show steer producing deals go back to Maine or Irish- usually both with a touch of Chi or something else exotic.  I'm not saying the RD decendants don't exist in the show steer deal- just not the majority of them.
It should be, but like all show steer type pedigrees-- you've got the have extremes stacked onto p of each other pretty extreme.
Your point above- trying to use on the carrier animals from the above descriptions-- maine (PHA) and irish.  All of the current show steer producing mama cows, are already dirty carriers- thus needing something outcross, and clean to breed them to.(TH)

Thanks that is very helpful.

blackdiamond

J2F said:
blackdiamond said:
J2F said:
Your point above- trying to use on the carrier animals from the above descriptions-- maine (PHA) and irish.  All of the current show steer producing mama cows, are already dirty carriers- thus needing something outcross, and clean to breed them to.(TH)

Thanks that is very helpful.

reread.. I  ETA

frostback

.  All of the current show steer producing mama cows, are already dirty carriers- thus needing something outcross, and clean to breed them to.(TH)[/b]

[/quote]

reread.. I  ETA
[/quote]

That is not even close to being true. Why pretend you know something about the club world when you dont even breed for them. Stick to your maine/shorthorn whatever they are.

blackdiamond

frostback said:
.  All of the current show steer producing mama cows, are already dirty carriers- thus needing something outcross, and clean to breed them to.(TH)[/b]

reread.. I  ETA
[/quote]

That is not even close to being true. Why pretend you know something about the club world when you dont even breed for them. Stick to your maine/shorthorn whatever they are.
[/quote]

Hey crab ass--- those words are in reference to shorthorn steer producing cows.  Find me a shorthorn steer makier that isn't carrier...  then reread what I typed, and I made sure to leave the word "CLUBBY" out of it.. and go crawl back into your hole...

Then, you can feel free to not participate in any shorthorn discussions.. Just b/c you failed with yours-- maybe you should have started with something remotely decent... instead of canadian pureist crap. 

Jacob B

Careful there, your MASSIVE ignorance is showing through again.  I have made some pretty darn good steers, back when we just didn't have the cow power to make the better breeding stock, out of TH/PHA free cows.  If they are just good cows not show heifers that you try to make a cow, they can make steers any day when bred to a good X-Ray or Vision type bull.

blackdiamond

Jacob B said:
Careful there, your MASSIVE ignorance is showing through again.  I have made some pretty darn good steers, back when we just didn't have the cow power to make the better breeding stock, out of TH/PHA free cows.  If they are just good cows not show heifers that you try to make a cow, they can make steers any day when bred to a good X-Ray or Vision type bull.

Is breeding a THC/ PHAC to a THF/ PHAF any different than breeding a  THF/ PHAF to  a double carrier?

It's the same.  The massive ignorance being overlooked- is trying to find a double clean, and breeding it to a double clean- to produced a good one.