Shorthorn bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

RFL

Thanks for the update on Kookaburra. It will be good to see a more recent picture.  As LinnetteJane posted, I also didn't see
the birthwieght of Kookaburra himself. Do you have that information? I was also wondering who is handling
semen distribution in the U.S.?

thunderdownunder

RFL said:
Thanks for the update on Kookaburra. It will be good to see a more recent picture.  As LinnetteJane posted, I also didn't see
the birthwieght of Kookaburra himself. Do you have that information? I was also wondering who is handling

Kookaburra's birthweight EBV is 2.8, with a 97% accuracy... our average is 3. I don't have his actual birthweight as we didn't breed him, and the breeders didn't weigh him.However  I can't imagine him being very big because he himself is not a massive bull.
But, I have weighed more calves by this bull than anyone (aside from Andy!) and they range from 32kg to about 45kg, averaging 40-42kg I'd say. More importantly, the calves are the right SHAPE that they slide out with very few problems- I myself can't recall ever having had a problem with a Kookaburra calf, nor with his daughters calving.
I'm not exactly sure who is distributing in the US, but if you are serious, I can certainly get their details for you.

uluru

Thunderdownunder have you calved or seen many calves in Aus from Jackaroo?
Particularly bulls calves
If so what are they like and weights please
Also would you happen to have a picture of his dam?

thunderdownunder

uluru said:
Thunderdownunder have you calved or seen many calves in Aus from Jackaroo?
Particularly bulls calves
If so what are they like and weights please
Also would you happen to have a picture of his dam?

I have seen A LOT of Jackaroo calves. His first daughters have calved and have fantastic udders, and are passing on that tremendous muscle pattern, structural soundness, shape and docility to their calves.
There have been a number of his sons sell already, some top bulls in Dubbo this year. I was never quite sure if they would be able to get the fat cover they needed, but am pleased to say I was wrong. I will have to try and find the weight and scan sheets from Dubbo to give you those figures.
As for calf weights, I'd say they average around 42-45kg. Of course there are the exceptions at either end, but the most important thing in my mind about Jackaroo's calves is their SHAPE. Even if they're on the heavier side, they are the right shape to just slide on out.
I myself have an 18-month heifer by him which I plan on showing with a calf at side in 2years, haven't decided who to mate her too yet but I'm leaning quite hevaily towards Kookaburra. I still have some Scotty semen to use elsewhere too, and am thinking of using on a Kookaburra female- I think these two lines can complement each other well.
I will try to get some pics of his progeny. Last time I went out to have a look I didn't have my camera with me, but I know I've got pics from his first calf crop somewhere. I also have a pic of his mother, but it's on my old phone, so will have to try and download it when I get home tonight. She is an absolutely tremendous cow, no doubt about it. Dark, dark red, and so much volume and thickness. Not bad for an old girl! Jackaroo's also got a couple of maternal sisters running around that are pretty special too.

thunderdownunder

Here is the only pic of a Jackaroo calf I have on this computer. The first photo is at about 3 months old, the second at about 5 months. He looks a bit woody, but it was a pretty rough season that year.
He is now the herd sire for one of my good friends. This friend had used a number of different bulls over recent years and had absolutely horrible calving issues, the worst luck I know of. Anyway, his first lot of calves by this bull this year were all born unassisted, healthy, and light (no more than 40kg).
Interestingly enough, the bull's maternal sister, by a son of TG Kookaburra and the dam's first calf, was one of our short listed show heifers.

Attachments

• red creek calf.JPG
    red creek calf.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 184
  • red creek.jpg
    red creek.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 173

thunderdownunder

Okotoks said:
Hi Bob
Here is the link to Belmore Jackaroo's EBV's. In Australia they use EBV's which I believe equate to twice an EPD. In any case his Birth EBV is below breed average.

http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=313021&2=2420&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5C255B5A242222252D&9=505C5C50

Just to explain a bit further for those who find this a bit difficult to equate: Jackaroo is a breed trait leader for carcase weight and retail beef yield. Once his accuracy for eye muscle area hits 65%, he will be a trait leader for that as well. EMA, RBY and IMF are the only traits which require 65% to qualify as a trait leader, all others are 75%.
He is in the top 10% of the breed for calving ease direct, 400 day weight, carcase weight. Top 5% for milk and retail beef yield. Top 1% for eye muscle area and one of the top values in the breed for this.
As well as all this, as you can see he is significantly below breed average for birthweight, whilst still maintaining strong growth and carcase traits.
More information on interpreting Breedplan EBVS is at http://www.shorthorn.com.au/performance/

mark tenenbaum

Gus is fine-the Abertees deal seems to be a reasonably easy calver-ask Malaine-they are absolutely straight shooters. Guess it would depend upon the hiefers breeding. Bartender is PHA-and has some pretty big ones in the woodpile-wouldnt use him on a hiefer O0

uluru

Thanks TDU
Good info

Okotoks
I had looked at the EBVs and studied them
Their system provide a bit more info than the US system.

linnettejane

thunderdownunder said:
RFL said:

Kookaburra's birthweight EBV is 2.8, with a 97% accuracy... our average is 3. I don't have his actual birthweight as we didn't breed him, and the breeders didn't weigh him.However  I can't imagine him being very big because he himself is not a massive bull.
But, I have weighed more calves by this bull than anyone (aside from Andy!) and they range from 32kg to about 45kg, averaging 40-42kg I'd say. More importantly, the calves are the right SHAPE that they slide out with very few problems- I myself can't recall ever having had a problem with a Kookaburra calf, nor with his daughters calving.
I'm not exactly sure who is distributing in the US, but if you are serious, I can certainly get their details for you.

found this neat calculator that converts kg to lbs...
or just multiply by 2.2

http://manuelsweb.com/kg_lbs.htm

Okotoks

uluru said:
Okotoks

Dan have you seen any of the Jackaroo bull calves at Crooked Post born in 2010?
No I have not seen them yet, a road trip I need to make! They liked them and re ordered. I think they have submitted the weights for EPD's so should be some results soon. Actually most of the people who used him have reordered.(For some reason even though this semen was collected for both the US and Canada once it was released in Canada it was no longer eligible to go to the US, no idea who figured that one out!) Looks like we will be out by the end of next spring. The Grove Kookaburra is sold out but there was less brought in.

LCC#2

TM gus all the way he has good calving ease and good calves the bw on one of his calves was 45 to 55 pounds out of one of my cows

thunderdownunder

Uluru

Here are some pics of Jackaroo calves as requested- these are from his very first drop of calves and all I can find at the moment. Keep in mind, this was smack bang in the middle of one of our worst years. And I'm the first to admit a few of the pics aren't very flattering, but I think it gives you an idea. I will try my best to find some more recent calves and mature bulls -there were 3 or 4 Jackaroo bulls at Dubbo this year which sold between $4000 and $7000.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG