Shorthorn Cow Maker

Help Support Steer Planet:

Thomas

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on who is the best cow maker in the shorthorn breed.  Is there one bull that is truly a changer that will make those moderate framed, huge middled, sound structured, easy fleshing, good uddered cows that still have some top and look too them.  I have seen a lot of bulls that will make them deep enough but few that are able to maintain some stoutness.  I really am not looking to give on calving ease either but they don't have to be heifer bulls and color does not matter.   

Will

Wow this should get interesting.  In the Shorthorn breed has a very diverse set of breeders with very differant goals and enviroments.  What may be perfect for me may not work for you. 

coyote

We have found that our Herdsire Saskvalley Bonanza 219M has all those desirable traits that you have mentioned. He also was one more desirable trait, Longevity. He will be going out to pasture to breed this spring at 11 years old.

Attachments

• Bonanza 036 - Copy.JPG
    Bonanza 036 - Copy.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 149

justintime

There are several bulls that do this pretty well.  Coyote's Bonanza bull is definitely a good candidate, as is his Muridale Buster. I don't think there is semen left on Buster, but if there is, coyote can respond.

A bull that has worked well here is Wolf Willow Major Leroy 1M. He moderated frame, adds middle, and his daughters certainly are easy fleshing and fertile. I have posted a picture of Leroy at 8 years of age and a picture of an udder on a Leroy daughter. Also a pic of  a Leroy daughter. There are couple Leroy progney pictured in the Sun Country Bull and female catalog and it is linked to this site ( on the side bar) Leroy was here until he was 10 years old , but left after a foot injury.Fortunately we collected more semen from him when he was 10 years old, and we have semen available in Canada, USA and Australia.  His dam is still here at 13 years of age, and she is about as easy fleshing as you will find anywhere.

Attachments

• Major Leroy at 8 years old with his calves 05-23-10.JPG
    Major Leroy at 8 years old with his calves 05-23-10.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Major Leroy daughter's udder.jpg
    Major Leroy daughter's udder.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 173
  • HC Cherry Mist 59Usm.jpg
    HC Cherry Mist 59Usm.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 195

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

CF Spectrum!  He doesn't really make show calves or put the "look" in his calves but they come easy grow fast and live a long time. I just  bought an 11 year old out of him that looks and acts like she is 4, all of his daughters I have seen are huge middled big topped and moderated framed, about 5-6 frame score. They milk great, wean heavy calves and breed back good every year they seem to be really big open hearted square cows too. I love mine and her sister and daughters!

cedargrove

Shadybrook Scotty.  Semex carries his semen. I have a half dozen daughters and their calves always seem to be at or near the top end every year. Moderate framed,square backs but they all keep that beautiful,feminine Shorthorn front end.
Thanks for bringing up this subject....  I think I may use him again on some heifers!!!! Maternal grand sire of both my bulls that topped the Quebec Test Station 2 weeks ago!!!!

renegadelivestock

i am goingto second the muridale buster 14k mention, and i am also going to mention the "king cow maker" dunbeacon venture. another one that deserves a thought is rodeo drive, not too many bulls can fix a bad uddered cow in 1 generation

Thomas

I have seen some Bonanza Daughters that I really like.  I havent seen to many Buster's but I have noticed him in the pedigree of some good cattle.  Also have seen a couple Top Hand daughters that are impressive.  Some others I was thinking about but havent seen much of is GFS Creole, Captain Obvious, Marquis, Jazz.  But I need to see some pictures of some offspring. 

Davis Shorthorns

Captain Obvious, Bonanza, JPJ, Marquis. 

Two Captain daughters at Lakeside and a Captain Bull that we own. 

Attachments

• BK12-1-4870_DocClark_NWSS.jpg
    BK12-1-4870_DocClark_NWSS.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Lakeside-Lilly.gif
    Lakeside-Lilly.gif
    38.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Lakeside-Dolly-more-grass-c.gif
    Lakeside-Dolly-more-grass-c.gif
    32.4 KB · Views: 143

Duncraggan

cedargrove said:
Shadybrook Scotty.  Semex carries his semen. I have a half dozen daughters and their calves always seem to be at or near the top end every year. Moderate framed,square backs but they all keep that beautiful,feminine Shorthorn front end.
Thanks for bringing up this subject....  I think I may use him again on some heifers!!!! Maternal grand sire of both my bulls that topped the Quebec Test Station 2 weeks ago!!!!
Added bonus is that they are a deep, dark red with none of that sort of red angus type yellowness.  Unfortunately have never had a solid red though, usually have at least a white spot or two or are rich roans!

uluru

I support the SB Scotty nomination. Also CE
I would also add Red Rose Gold Spear Ruffian to this list. His daughters are just plain GOOD.

jaimiediamond

I would add Diamond Captain Mark 27C to this list he has left some awesome daughters in many herds. 

Diamond Nicola Susan 23N

Attachments

• nonamaid.jpg
    nonamaid.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 112
  • plsparkle.jpg
    plsparkle.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 149
  • elsiesjade.jpg
    elsiesjade.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 112
  • kitkat.jpg
    kitkat.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 128
  • rosebaroness.jpg
    rosebaroness.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 118

trevorgreycattleco

I don't need to piss off anyone. Rather challenge you. When I think cow maker I think of Ohlde. Or Kent Powell. I'd agree with coyote  The problem for me is this breed doesnt produce very many cow maker bulls even tho it's a English breed. I got a catalog today. Big time deal. Whale assed bull with no nuts. Maybe it was cold I don't know but nothing in it said cow maker. It said hard doing, high input fantastic looking cattle. But high input. That's not how you go about breeding cow maker bulls. N Bar Emulation EXT anyone? Sitz Rainmaker? HA Image Maker? OCC Paxton?

Cow makers.

Thomas

TG- I completely agree with you.  I like many of the bulls that are listed but I feel that they are maybe just a piece in the puzzle.  It really is too bad that we don't even have one bull that you would just want whole herd to be out of.  I have always liked the 27c bull but my problem is I have seen so few progeny. I will say this, what i have seen as been excellent.  Maybe a little bigger but still really good.  Is there still semen in the states or was it sent back to Canada?

RyanChandler

It's about phenotype. If we want a bull that will produce daughters like EXT, then we have to design a bull that looks like him. 

What sucks is that the more compact easy keeping shorthorn genetics aren't gonna make those more angular fancy cows you like TGCC. I'll just do some name dropping:  Some of the older Jungles bulls- Top Hand, Real World- the RB Eagle 255 stuff, Byland Mission, I saw some of the prettiest feminine 5 frame cows anywhere out of...forgive me...a Rodeo Drive son- all solid red and slick hided. Navigator T2.  The type of females Bowman genetics offers in their bred female sale. I dig all that.

frostback

-XBAR- said:
It's about phenotype. If we want a bull that will produce daughters like EXT, then we have to design a bull that looks like him.   

What sucks is that the more compact easy keeping shorthorn genetics aren't gonna make those more angular fancy cows you like TGCC. I'll just do some name dropping:  Some of the older Jungles bulls- Top Hand, Real World- the RB Eagle 255 stuff, Byland Mission, I saw some of the prettiest feminine 5 frame cows anywhere out of...forgive me...a Rodeo Drive son- all solid red and slick hided. Navigator T2.  The type of females Bowman genetics offers in their bred female sale. I dig all that.

he's lost all breed character.  Phenotypicall looks like an Angus.  Charolais should should be course and rigid.

So I am confused as to what you really would like. On one breed they should look like angus to be good, then in another they cant?

RyanChandler

frostback said:
-XBAR- said:

he's lost all breed character.  Phenotypicall looks like an Angus.  Charolais should should be course and rigid.

So I am confused as to what you really would like. On one breed they should look like angus to be good, then in another they cant?
Well here, let me help your confusion.  The Angus and Shorthorn breeds are both BRITISH breeds and should therefore have similar maternally oriented phenotypes. The French breed Charolais is what we in the cattle business call a CONTINENTAL breed whose strong points are growth oriented. Hit me up if you want some more 101.
Yours truly,