Shorthorn experts I need your expert advice! Serious in-vitro flush decision!

Help Support Steer Planet:

BLININ

Well  Tyler remembered the cow from when she was a heifer and thought we were on the right track with her! She has been a prolific producer in our program, and we hope for as many as 10 heifers next year! We personally liked bloodstone from the beginning, the cow is plenty deep! I'm running a monopoly son  from  her with my cows right now that is very nice, not your typical monopoly!

shortyjock89

How is he different from the typical Monopoly? I didn't realize there was a big issue with them having quality.

BLININ

He is whale assed, huge top, and big boned and projects a little more growth is how I would describe him! Also might add that he is plenty deep and nice spring of rib! A little more powered up than most I would say, but that is just my opinion! I'm sure u would have different one though! That is what makes the world go around:)

shortyjock89

No, you just made it seem like it was a one-off thing, having a quality bull out of Monopoly. Sounds like he'll do a good job for you. Good luck with Bloodstone.

BLININ

I wasn't trying to be an a-- , but seriously this cow has never missed at all! And has mostly been bred for steers! So we just want some quality heifers and honestely we feel this will work! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

trevorgreycattleco

I've shook my head at least five times reading this. Ask for opinions. But already knows everything. Bloodstone makes a very large  headed cow with a killer look at a year.

What's your ideal pedigreed belly dragging type cow you would like to replicate?

OKshorthorn

I put in my pick for Bloodstone early on in this thread, it's certainly taken an interesting turn. I get why some don't like Bloodstone (Trump) but...in my opinion he is breeding for a show heifer that will generate him some money. In the last couple years if you look at some of the bigger outfit's sale catalogs, it's very difficult to not find several Bloodstone heifers in all of them. I have a yearling Bloodstone heifer that I am really proud of and would take a dozen more just like her.

shortyjock89

Redwine Cattle said:
I put in my pick for Bloodstone early on in this thread, it's certainly taken an interesting turn. I get why some don't like Bloodstone (Trump) but...in my opinion he is breeding for a show heifer that will generate him some money. In the last couple years if you look at some of the bigger outfit's sale catalogs, it's very difficult to not find several Bloodstone heifers in all of them. I have a yearling Bloodstone heifer that I am really proud of and would take a dozen more just like her.

And what did all those Bloodstone heifers ever do? How many would you say are elite females? Did any of them win anything bigger than a state fair?

OKshorthorn

Again, I think his goal is to produce a marketable heifer.

I would think these would classify as pretty darn good females, at least in my eyes, you may not like them.

Attachments

• CF Dream Girl 012X ET.jpg
    CF Dream Girl 012X ET.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 390
  • CF Lucky Charm 076.jpg
    CF Lucky Charm 076.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,633

OKshorthorn

Was AF Warrior not the sire of SS Augusta Pride 3127? She only has like 150 progeny registered, I think she had some pretty good females that have done some good in the shorthorn breed too?

shortyjock89

Yeah, so there are those two...and he was born in like 2004, correct? Anyhow, 3127 has done some good, but you really need another generation to make them resemble anything you would want today. She was way too hard and coarse for what we want today. Warrior females were alright, but they were big big girls and threw some very large calves that had a hard time maturing at a moderate height or weight. 

oakview

Bloodstone or his relatives for show type females, but I wouldn't really call them belly draggers.  We have a Bloodstone son from WHR we're really happy with.  The calves have some muscle, performance, and style.  We also have not assisted a calf, including all of our first calf heifers in 2012.  You will like the Trump line cattle for their show ring style, but if you want the belly draggers in your pasture (without a lot of feed), you might check out some of the deeper bodied Canadian type bulls.  In my ideal world, I would flush your cow once to Bloodstone for the show heifers and once to a deep bodied Canadian bull for replacement females.  Those females might really work on the Trump line bulls next time around.  The Canadian Dottie cow has really worked on Trump line bulls, Waco, Cloud 9, etc., and you might want to check out JIT's catalog for a sample of how a little bit of Trump works on good Canadian females.  There are plenty more examples, too.  I am interested in how well your Double Stuff/Warrior cow milks.  The AF Warrior/GR Combo line has very poor milk EPDs and very high birth EPDs.  We had a few Double Stuff females years ago that didn't really set the world on fire as mother cows, either.  Of course, there are exceptions.  Best of luck. 

BLININ

She milks really well, I posted the to get opinions not be ridiculed! We know the cow produces not many cows produce three division winning steers at the Indiana state fair not all shorthorns either! We have two daughters (crossbreds) in production producing high dollar calves every year!

oakview

Sounds like your cow is doing what you want her to do.  All the more reason to get daughters from her while you can.  I'm just suggesting that perhaps the resulting Bloodstone heifers might make better show heifers and some of the deeper bodied Canadian bred heifers you might get from a different mating would be closer to the "belly dragging" type cow you said you wanted.  Again, best of luck.

BLININ

Hey thanks oakview, she has done her job in spades! I'm trying to get my partner to understand the Canadian genetics! And that is a tough sell! Btw I'm not a kid, and have been around show cattle my whole life, this is to the know it alls! I've been around many, many champions, from bulls, heifers and many champion steers! I was just looking for advice! And majors