Shorthorn heifer question

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

OK, so I'd admit I am blinded to the Simmental breed, but my daughter has always had a fancy for a cute Shorthorn heifer to show. So, I look. I am by no means an expert (we have not been doing this that long, but have been blessed by the Lord with some great genetics and great purchases that have taken us far). Anyway, I was looking at a sale at breeders world and thought this heifer was pretty neat. Here is the link;
http://www.maxanet.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?hunker42/7 and here is her video http://youtu.be/W60r5XPXgyY
Now, I am completely unfamiliar with the shorthorn genetics (other than Trump seems common as does JPJ), so why didn't she bring the minimum bid (I think it as $1500, if I remember correctly). If I had enough hay for the winter and was feeling brave, I might have taken a chance on her.  Am I missing something? I guess I am asking all of your opinion on her!
Thanks, just pondering and dreaming  ;D

ruhtram

She doesn't look too bad..I'm curious what others have to say

sue

The straw in the pic is kinda deep?

I see this problem come up all the time... young people fall in love with a shorthorn. You may want to breed your or her favorite simmy to a short bull  and compete in a Shorthorn plus division??You know your cows so finding a roan bull to mate?  good luck.

ruhtram

Kuhnfarms said:
If i remeber right the starting bid for her was 10,000 not 1,500

That would make sense. Why would you start a calf out that high? Isn't 1,500-2000 a fairly typical starting bid?

kfacres

3 reasons that I see....  Whatever the starting price is irrelevent... that would keep most Shorthorn people from bidding on her...

1- online auctions, unless you get a direct link and the no how-- most don't know about them-- in this case I'd never heard of it... so there is one potential buyer that didn't find out about it.  Online auctions are either way in, or way out... especially the first year for anyone consigning.

2- the heifer's bottom half of pedigree-- I've never heard of that cow family- and unless I missed it, didn't see anything else to help explain it.  No Reg #, no extended pedigree, nothing to help me find out more info

3- the heifer herself.. She's fat as shit, and super high in the tailhead; which to me... says narrow pelvic...  A narrow pelvic, in a breed that's already hugely known for calving problems is a BIG TURNOFF to most people... That an like Sue said-- the straw is pretty deep... which makes me wonder about what's under it. 

dimebag

She is one powerful female , her front end alone would keep her at my place for a long time !

nkotb

Her starting bid was $10,000, about fell out of my chair when I saw it.  I figure they must not have wanted to sell her too bad.

firesweepranch

OK, so I must have been tired and not seen all the zeros in the starting bid  :eek: Good thing...

Sue, I would not have the first clue as to what to breed one of the Simmi's to! A blue would be really cool! We really liked the blue plus that was by Grandmaster that was advertised I think last year. She was sweet! Also, hearing about the bad EPD's on the shorthorn side kind of scares me! I use and trust our breed EPD's, I know they are not the only source when making breeding decisions but I do use them heavily when deciding genetic matches for the next season. I even go onto the ASA web site and plug in the registration number of a cow and several different bulls I am thinking about and get a list of estimated progeny EPD data, and will cross bulls off my list if they do not help out my cow. I am super critical of milk, weaning, yearling, CE and API. In my limited experience, the few cows I have bought that had low milk EDP's weaned my smallest calves, and did not seem to milk as well as my others. That is good enough for me to watch that number!
Anyway, long way of saying I'm inexperienced in selecting a shorthorn bull for a blue!

jaimiediamond

I thought I would put up the MARC across breed epd's to help show what Shorthorns have to offer. EPD's are a minor tool in breeding decisions I don't believe they are as inaccurate as people imply as the rotten apples usually get weeded out in the long haul. 

Attachments

• MARC.jpg
    MARC.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 156

Okotoks

sue said:

I see this problem come up all the time... young people fall in love with a shorthorn.
You may want to breed your or her favorite simmy to a short bull  and compete in a Shorthorn plus division??You know your cows so finding a roan bull to mate?  good luck.

Why would this be a problem? Shorthorn heifers make great junior projects and there are lots available at reasonable prices!

firesweepranch

Okotoks said:
sue said:

I see this problem come up all the time... young people fall in love with a shorthorn.
You may want to breed your or her favorite simmy to a short bull  and compete in a Shorthorn plus division??You know your cows so finding a roan bull to mate?  good luck.

Why would this be a problem? Shorthorn heifers make great junior projects and there are lots available at reasonable prices!
Wish you lived closer! "Reasonable" is the key term here! At our place, she has to be able to go home and produce after her show career. I can not justify buying an expensive heifer just to win some shows. I need to be able to make money by selling her offspring, and we are not big enough to flush and put in a bunch of embryos to make the money back! As it is, I have several embryos in my tank and not enough cows to put them in (and these are purchased embryos)! Of the three cows carrying embryos for the spring, only one will get an embryo again! My daughter liked the calves too much out of the other two and she wants me to AI them again! So much for recips!

thunderdownunder

Okotoks said:
sue said:

Also, don't we want to encourage as many new, young, enthusiastic breeders as possible to take the breed forward in the future?

kfacres

jaimiediamond said:
I thought I would put up the MARC across breed epd's to help show what Shorthorns have to offer. EPD's are a minor tool in breeding decisions I don't believe they are as inaccurate as people imply as the rotten apples usually get weeded out in the long haul. 

Prior to a certain Shorthorn bull's data getting kicked out...  The shorthorn EPD's were about as worthless as most Trump bred shorthorns to a commercial man...

jaimiediamond

Cut the BS said:
jaimiediamond said:

Prior to a certain Shorthorn bull's data getting kicked out...  The shorthorn EPD's were about as worthless as most Trump bred shorthorns to a commercial man...

Yes but the rotten apple per say was removed as the data was not adding up. Those who are dishonest about Birth Date, Birth Weight, Weaning Weight, Yearling Weight etc really only end up hurting themselves when the cattle they promote don't perform as they had advertised. 

kfacres

jaimiediamond said:
Cut the BS said:
jaimiediamond said:

Yes but the rotten apple per say was removed as the data was not adding up. Those who are dishonest about Birth Date, Birth Weight, Weaning Weight, Yearling Weight etc really only end up hurting themselves when the cattle they promote don't perform as they had advertised. 

So then, in all reality... wouldn't that mean that Shorthorn EPDs are a hogwash.. and as pointless as the paper they were printed on?  If the cattle didn't perform as expected?  And by the fact that whatever percentage of the cattle traced within 3 generations to that particular bull, made up something like 85% of the breed...  Not only would that data prove wrong on the effected directely- but those cattle that did not have that bull in the pedigree were also indirectly affected due to comparison and skewed data from their contemps...

jaimiediamond

Cut the BS said:
jaimiediamond said:
Cut the BS said:
jaimiediamond said:

So then, in all reality... wouldn't that mean that Shorthorn EPDs are a hogwash.. and as pointless as the paper they were printed on?  If the cattle didn't perform as expected?  And by the fact that whatever percentage of the cattle traced within 3 generations to that particular bull, made up something like 85% of the breed...  Not only would that data prove wrong on the effected directely- but those cattle that did not have that bull in the pedigree were also indirectly affected due to comparison and skewed data from their contemps...

A lot of the data would be accurate on those bloodlines as most people would have submitted honest data. The animals that failed to perform would then have their EPD's directly affected. Perhaps that is how the ASA caught onto something in the first place and removed the apple that was ruining the rest of the barrel. 

rarebirdz

There is always some1 no matter what breed or industry looking forward to seeing how accurate the Marc is compared to my calves