Shorthorn heifer udder development

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowzrus

I have a shorthorn plus  heifer due ( NOV. 12 ) AI bred stuck on the 1st go, and never exposed to a bull in her life so I am positive on her due date (give or take a few days just cause they have a mind of their own.  Her mother has a holstein sized udder and it looks like I may be expecting the same from her.  My question is she is about 100 days away from calving and I can already see significant udder development and feel firmness in her udder.  Is this a little early to be showing these signs.  I know the teats usually get longer, but she is longer and fuller.  My worry is another heifer is nursing on her.  I haven't caught it happening, but it appears like the hair looks to have been wet like from being nursed on.  Its kinda matted, but I have seen the others lick her in that area but never nurse.  Is it possible they are nursing and causing her udder to (lack of a better term)  fill up sooner, or possible mastitis, but it's on all 4 quarters.  She is out on pasture with the cows and I would hate to have to seperate her, but I am worried about her milk production as her time grows nearer so any help would be great, and maybe I am just freaking out because I have never had them udder up that early.  Perhaps it's normal.  Any help would be great. Her bloodline Blue Blood and double Vision, and her mother will nurse 4 babies at one time on her and never make a complaint.  She is like the herd nurse cow ( i wonder if it will be hereditary)

garybob

Sounds like she is gonna be a good brood cow. Snap us a picture, and, post it, so we can better eveluate the situation. Bring her in closer to the barn, and, put her in a smaller pasture by herself, if you're afraid of "cow-robbers" nursing on her.

GB

Latest posts