Shorthorn Heifers new pics and pedigrees

Help Support Steer Planet:

3HFarms

These are some heifers we are going to go look at today they were just weaned. Just wanted to pop up the pics she sent us - 1000 for the blue heifer and 650 each for the other 2 - Wanted to know what you all thought

Attachments

• red and white heifer.jpg
    red and white heifer.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,493
  • red roan.jpg
    red roan.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,488
  • Roan heifer.jpg
    Roan heifer.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 186

CPL

Are they registered?

They're just good solid heifers, but at that price I'd bite.

The Driver

not the baest pics but the price is right there. not sure the red and white isn't my favorite the blue is a bad pic and the least impressive JMO. Not sure what your plan is but at those prices not sure you can go wrong.

TMJ Show Cattle

Take the last two at that price,buy yourselfr a lottery ticket quick. Appear to be good solid heifers. Leave the Blue Roan,too tight wound,and not enough volume for her frame size.Besides all that, if anyone plans on showing her,they will spend a lot of time and effort trying to break that "Hog Hair" she has.

ROMAX

I'd take that first heifer for that price in heartbeat,might need to switch the prices around,or get a better pic of the blue heifer to justify her price.

justintime

seems to me that all the heifers are priced pretty cheap. If you can buy any of them at these prices you had better take them, even if you don't plan to show them.

I think people sometimes drive people away by pricing their cattle too low. I learned a good lesson several years ago, when I received a phone call from a breeder in Texas, in regards to a heifer calf I had that year. He was interested in her, and he wanted to know how she would compare with some of the heifers that had topped some of the early fall sales in the US. Since I had not attended any of these sales, I told him that he may have to look at her himself to make that decision. He then told me he would like me to price the heifer as he did not want to drive all the way from Texas and then find out the heifer was priced too high. What I did was something I had never done before ... or since. I knew that there was several heifers in some sales that were selling at over $10,000 so I priced this heifer at $10,000 US. He told me he would decide over night and let me know if he was coming. Early the next morning, he called and told me that they were on the road and they would arrive at our place about 10:30 the next morning. When he arrived he walked around the heifer twice and then said that he would only buy the heifer if I would also sell him a flush in the dam as well. I quickly priced the flush to him at a reasonable cost as I did not want to lose the entire deal. When I took his cheque to the  bank it converted to $14970 Canadian funds ( at the time, the Canadian dollar was in the tank). After we had completed the deal, I asked him if he would have bothered driving from Texas, if I had priced the heifer at $5000 or less. After a moment of thought, he said " probably not as there were all kinds of $5000 heifers available much closer to him". The heifer went on to do a pile of winning for this family.

I do not normally price cattle in this price range, and I have often wondered why I did on this occasion. Fortunately for me I did, and it worked out. 

worthabit

justintime said:
seems to me that all the heifers are priced pretty cheap. If you can buy any of them at these prices you had better take them, even if you don't plan to show them.

I think people sometimes drive people away by pricing their cattle too low. I learned a good lesson several years ago, when I received a phone call from a breeder in Texas, in regards to a heifer calf I had that year. He was interested in her, and he wanted to know how she would compare with some of the heifers that had topped some of the early fall sales in the US. Since I had not attended any of these sales, I told him that he may have to look at her himself to make that decision. He then told me he would like me to price the heifer as he did not want to drive all the way from Texas and then find out the heifer was priced too high. What I did was something I had never done before ... or since. I knew that there was several heifers in some sales that were selling at over $10,000 so I priced this heifer at $10,000 US. He told me he would decide over night and let me know if he was coming. Early the next morning, he called and told me that they were on the road and they would arrive at our place about 10:30 the next morning. When he arrived he walked around the heifer twice and then said that he would only buy the heifer if I would also sell him a flush in the dam as well. I quickly priced the flush to him at a reasonable cost as I did not want to lose the entire deal. When I took his cheque to the  bank it converted to $14970 Canadian funds ( at the time, the Canadian dollar was in the tank). After we had completed the deal, I asked him if he would have bothered driving from Texas, if I had priced the heifer at $5000 or less. After a moment of thought, he said " probably not as there were all kinds of $5000 heifers available much closer to him". The heifer went on to do a pile of winning for this family.

I do not normally price cattle in this price range, and I have often wondered why I did on this occasion. Fortunately for me I did, and it worked out. 
I apologize for getting off topic, but I was wondering if people such as this man in Texas would buy a $10,000 heifer because she is a legitimate good heifer or if the proper pedigree has to be there as well. In other words, if this heifer had a no name pedigree, but still was a great looking animal, is she still worth the ten grand?

justintime

In my case, I knew that this breeder from Texas, was a leading breeder, and I also knew that he was not afraid to pay for quality. The heifer really was not from what was then considered to be a hot bloodline, so when he selected her, he was obviously looking for a heifer that would be competitive for his family to show. When I stop and think about it for a few moments, the easiest cattle I have ever sold were some of the highest priced ones. Here is another example:  

Four years ago, I had a guy come to look at our cattle. We had a good visit and a couple days after he had gone home, he phoned me and asked me if I would sell some bred females. I asked him how many he would be interested in, and he said he was not exactly sure, and it might depend on what I priced them at. I told him, I would price every female in the herd and he could pick from the list. After I had sent him the list, he came back and I let him walk through the cattle by himself. He spent over a hour with the cows, and when he came in he gave me a list of 42 females. He certainly did not  pick the cheapest ones on the list. There were a few cows that I did not want to sell, so they were priced accordingly, however, he did take one of them. He said he was willing to give me a cheque for $30,000 that day and that he would pay me $4500 a month until they were all paid for.He also said that if I agreed to do this, that he was willing to take all the cattle he had selected at the prices I had put on them.  I had known this man for most of my life, so I accepted his offer. Just over a year later, the last payment arrived. I had been planning to have a production sale later that year, and this sale eliminated the need to go to all that work.

What I am saying is I think that we, as cattle breeders, often times, price our cattle too low to try to make the sale. It can almost leave the potential buyer wondering if he is buying value or not. I have been at many auction sales, where I have seen a very good cow walk into the ring, and sell for much less than I thought she would bring.I have often wondered if there was something wrong with her that I did not know about, so I have let her sell. I have later found out that there was nothing wrong with the cow and I have regretted not buying her. The same thing happens in reverse. If you go to a reputation sale, there are always many people there who come with no intention of buying. Once the sale gets going, and the prices start to drop a little, these people will want to be a part of the action, and they will often buy something. I apologize for getting this thread off topic. My original question was based on the fact that when I saw the prices the owner put on these heifers, I stopped and took a longer look at the pictures, and I found myself wondering what was wrong with them. To me they look like  very nice heifers.

TMJ Show Cattle

I agree with these posts wholeheartedly. Before I moved to Wisconsin from Oklahoma,you could have some of the best quality calves,steers or heifers,and if you priced them in the 1500.00 to 2500.00 range,you would be lucky to get any visitors. A lot of people in that region actually believe it is impossible to get a really good calf or cow or bull for less than 5000.00. In their mind the animal couldn't possibly be much if you priced them less.Now on the other hand, I have seen the complete opposite in the neck of the woods I travel in now.

Show Heifer

Which just goes to prove the point that their are a lot of "halter holders" out there and not a lot of cattle knowledge. 

High dollar doesn't mean high quality (in fact, sometimes just the opposite!) and low dollar doesn't mean crap quality.  The problem is not enough people know the difference.

justintime

Value is in the eye of the beholder. It has some to do with quality, however, it's definition varies from person to person. This is nothing new, as it has been this way since cows were invented and people bought and sold cattle. I think we have all seen cattle that we thought were priced way too high for what we thought they were worth, yet they eventually sell for this or close to it. There is nothing wrong with this. It is something that is found in any thing that is bought and sold. Many times, a herd prefix can add considerable dollars to an asking price, and people line up to buy it. Is this any different from some name brand items we buy in our grocery stores? A classic example is  coffee with the picture of Juan Valdez on the package. This symbolizes Columbian coffee and most people visualize this symbol with " quality". Quite frankly, Columbian coffee is really no different than coffee grown in many other countries. The Columbian coffee producers have done an admirable job in marketing their product. Most beef producers try to do the same thing... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Like I said in a previous post, it is a really good thing that we all don't see these critters in the very same way. If we did, auction sales and cattle shows would be really boring events.

3HFarms

They are registered and they will be shown in some small jackpots until we see how they turn out.  The lady is halter breaking and clipping them which you dont find much of around here.  I didnt get to go see them in person this weekend but I got a few new pics of the red heifers in the field this summer - again not amazing shots but better.

Attachments

• r&w heifer.jpg
    r&w heifer.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 171
  • red roan.jpg
    red roan.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 181

3HFarms

I think the reason they are so cheap is that she isnt a big name breeder and she didnt think shorthorns would sale well around here

shortyjock89

You had better snatch those two up.  They'd be quite a bit higher $$ if they were in my area.  The roan one looks like she will be the better show heifer of the two just because she is flashier. But you better believe they are some good looking cow prospects.  Whereabouts are you located, if you don't mind me asking? 

3HFarms

Im in SW Idaho  :) I have a picture of the roans grand dam if anyones interested

sjcattleco

Show Heifer said:
Which just goes to prove the point that their are a lot of "halter holders" out there and not a lot of cattle knowledge. 

High dollar doesn't mean high quality (in fact, sometimes just the opposite!) and low dollar doesn't mean crap quality.   The problem is not enough people know the difference.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!  If I have something that I want to sell it is priced to GO!!!!  and if I have something I like its priced to STAY!  period....  and junk does not get priced at all! 

Oh and by the way looks like you did OK on your recent purchase!  Good luck...

3HFarms

The lady clipped the girls up today and I think the red and white looks better but her head is at a funny angle. When I get the pic of the roan clipped I will post it even though at this point im sure everyone is over it haha

Pedigree of red and white heifer (not roan)

*x3949252 CF PROSPERITY X
                      *x4067257 CFS TONI
              *x3966246 NB MACARENA
Sire:*x4126218 PHF CRUISER 132T
            *x4036158 HR HOT TOPIC
                      *x4085400 WIEBES HOT MABEL 43
                              *x4051884 WIEBES SUPER MABEL 32

*x4067257 CFS TONI
              *x3966246 NB MACARENA
Dam:*x4108535 PHF ROSE 31
              *x4036158 HR HOT TOPIC
                        *x4085401 WIEBES SUPER ENTICER 48
                                *4051889 WIEBES SUPER FLAG 35

Pedigree of roan heifer

*x4067257 CFS TONI
              *x3966246 NB MACARENA
Sire:*x4126218 PHF CRUISER 132T
              *x4036158 HR HOT TOPIC
                      *x4085400 WIEBES HOT MABEL 43
                                *x4051884 WIEBES SUPER MABEL 32

*x4026152 RT GOLD LINK 57K
                      *x4075229 CCS STAR CHANGER
              *x4028187 MELBAR MVF STAR BABY 3637
Dam:*x4126213 PHF STAR 129T
                *x4067257 CFS TONI
                      *x4091361 PHF DUCHESS 22
                            *x4064440 HW WINNING QUEEN 10

Attachments

• r&w heifer.jpg
    r&w heifer.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 284

shortyjock89

I'm liking that heifer. I think you should buy. You can't go wrong, and that heifer looks like she's worth quite a bit more than what she's asking.

3HFarms

Oh ya we are def buying the two red heifers and probably the blue.  If we get the blue all we have to put out is 485 in cash and the rest is in calf scramble money :)