Shorthorn muscle?

Help Support Steer Planet:

TK Show2win

I know theres not a whole lot you can do for this but,  I have a heat seeker/ shorthorn calf weighing about  930lbs . He is larger framed with that "shorthorn" muscle type- being kinda flat in his hindquarter. I know this is genetics and theres no miracle answer, but is there anything I can do to help this and make him the best he can be? I need to slow his growth and fill him out, anyone have an idea? Will getting him fatt help. I do grow hair too. thank you  ;)

steermaker

What protein % is the grain that you are feeding.  Once a calf gets to 850# at our place they will not see anything higher than 12%.  Betting him filled out (fatter) will help.  If you get enough hair on him you can do some things with clipping that will help emphasize the muscle that you have.  Excercise won't hurt him either.  If you don't have a turn out pen/exercise area, I recommend that you build one.

JoeDirt

TK Show2win said:
 I know theres not a whole lot you can do for this but,  I have a heat seeker/ shorthorn calf weighing about  930lbs . He is larger framed with that "shorthorn" muscle type- being kinda flat in his hindquarter. I know this is genetics and theres no miracle answer, but is there anything I can do to help this and make him the best he can be? I need to slow his growth and fill him out, anyone have an idea? Will getting him fatt help. I do grow hair too. thank you  ;)

TK

Give us a few picture to see EXACTLY what you are talking about

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS

TK Show2win

I don't have any pics of him right now, I can take some and put them up later I guess. Hes on a 12% Protein and 5% fat ration with some added corn. A total of 20lbs. Hes just lacking alot of stifle and lower quarter thickness.

TJ

TK Show2win said:
I don't have any pics of him right now, I can take some and put them up later I guess. Hes on a 12% Protein and 5% fat ration with some added corn. A total of 20lbs. Hes just lacking alot of stifle and lower quarter thickness.

You are right, not much you can do about genetics... keep feeding him & if you have time... walk him a lot.  I think you could feed him a little more than what you are & I'd consider adding some barely. 

TJ

Barely puts on a more uniform, firmer finish, IMHO.  However, it's slightly lower in TDN & it wont quite add the lbs. that corn will.  I'd continue to add the corn, I'd just add some barely too.  I'd slowly try to work up the calf to 2.5% of it's body weight & keep it on some good grass hay.  Keep in mind that I not a nutritionist & you may want to consult one, but I do think that barely your best bet to help.  ;) 

TexasHeat

I think barley is far better than corn.  They seem to eat cooked barley better, if he picks around the dry.  Soy based oil supplements (Goldenflo or Power Plus) are very good to add a smooth complete fat covering.  Most shorthorn steers I have feed did not have that final muscle pop until they were 1100 to 1200#'s.  If he is fairly structurally sound and is covered, you can add ShowFlexx during the last 30 or so days before the show to help his muscles pop.  A lot of it depends on what brand of feed you are using to determine what you need to supplement.  Post Pictures.

TK Show2win

Hes on Showmaster Finisher, Hes very good structually but I don't want to chance his soundness. I was thinking of adding some golden flo soon, but was tossing the idea of using corn oil because its alot cheaper

TexasHeat

He is going to convert they soy oil a lot better than the corn oil.  I feed out two large frame steer on our show string last year and added up to 6 to 8 oz of soy oil per feeding to get their larger frame covered with the right amount of fat.  I know it is about $80 for 5 gal, but I would still recommend it over the corn oil.  Some of the steers I have feed don't eat showmaster's finisher as well as they did the grower, how is yours doing, did you recenctly switch?

TK Show2win

Alright I'll just get some golden flo. I have always used Golden flo over corn oil because I did see faster results so what you said makes sense. My calves this year love the showmaster, in the past I did have a hard time getting them to eat it consistently and was very hard to switch them. IMO Showmaster put the best cover on though.

TexasHeat

I will agree that Showmaster has the best cattle feeds.  We have 16 heifer and 18 steers on our show string and almost every one is on Showmaster Feed, Power Plus (soy oil), & Exceed. 
Hope you can get him where you want him.

TJ

TK Show2win said:
Alright I'll just get some golden flo. I have always used Golden flo over corn oil because I did see faster results so what you said makes sense. My calves this year love the showmaster, in the past I did have a hard time getting them to eat it consistently and was very hard to switch them. IMO Showmaster put the best cover on though.

Keep in mind that your ration is 5% fat already. 

OH Breeder

The last month you can give Opti Flex a try. We had some luck with it. The calf needs to be fat.

TexasHeat

Yes, it will redirect nutrients that would have become fat and repartitions them into protein.  Optaflexx is the main ingredient in Showflexx, a product avalible at Sullivan's Supply.