Shorthorn nominations for the bull bracket

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Gismo,instant muscle,pa do maxi brute. Is this a popularity deal or registertration numbers or both. I assume they have to red papered or not. I do not know how the Old Improver bull can't be on the deal. He started the whole th deal from his journey through the shorthorn deal through heat seeker and whatnot he has had more influence this way than any other single bull of any breed.

Jacob B

Are you looking for club calf bulls, major show bulls, jackpot show bulls, or breeding/commercial bulls that had the most impact? So far to date these are my pics.  I think the breed is heading in a positive direction and there are young bulls that will make a huge impact, but those that have done it in the past in the U.S. are:  
Clubby:
Double Stuff
D. Vision
Major shows:
Trump
Rodeo Drive
Breeding/commercial:
???tuff call Red Cloud, Gold Spear,???  

oakview

8 of the more influential Shorthorn bulls since we've been around:  Louada Rothes King, TPS Coronet Leader 21st x, Louada Aristocrat, Kelburn Great Event, Deerpark Leader 13th, Clark x, CF Trump x, WHR Sonny 8114 x.  If you are considering only the most influential for the past 10 years or so, in my opinion there is no reason to have a vote.  Whether you like him or not, CF Trump x has had more influence on the Shorthorn breed than any other, anywhere, anytime.  The appearance of many Trump sons on the nomination list validates his status.  Some of the bulls nominated probably need a few more years of solid production before being mentioned with the most noteworthy, that's not to say they won't get there someday.  Sorry if I offended anybody.

justintime

oakview said:
8 of the more influential Shorthorn bulls since we've been around:  Louada Rothes King, TPS Coronet Leader 21st x, Louada Aristocrat, Kelburn Great Event, Deerpark Leader 13th, Clark x, CF Trump x, WHR Sonny 8114 x.  If you are considering only the most influential for the past 10 years or so, in my opinion there is no reason to have a vote.  Whether you like him or not, CF Trump x has had more influence on the Shorthorn breed than any other, anywhere, anytime.  The appearance of many Trump sons on the nomination list validates his status.  Some of the bulls nominated probably need a few more years of solid production before being mentioned with the most noteworthy, that's not to say they won't get there someday.  Sorry if I offended anybody.

Lonny, I could not agree more. This vote really should have nothing to do with personal preferences of sires. If we are considering just the influence each has had in the breed, I would have to agree with your list, and might also add Bapton Constructor and HS Rodeo Drive 062WR. . There was a time when Constructor could be found in almost every ad in the Shorthorn World, as either the sire or grandsire of someone's herd bull. Rodeo Drive left a mark as well. Do I think that this list contains the best sires in the breed? Absolutely NOT, however, they have probably had more impact on the breed , good or bad, than any other sires.

vcsf

justintime said:
oakview said:

Lonny, I could not agree more. This vote really should have nothing to do with personal preferences of sires. If we are considering just the influence each has had in the breed, I would have to agree with your list, and might also add Bapton Constructor and HS Rodeo Drive 062WR. . There was a time when Constructor could be found in almost every ad in the Shorthorn World, as either the sire or grandsire of someone's herd bull. Rodeo Drive left a mark as well. Do I think that this list contains the best sires in the breed? Absolutely NOT, however, they have probably had more impact on the breed , good or bad, than any other sires.

Not saying it was for the best but what about the influence Ayatollah had for a few years.

oakview

Ayatollah did have an influence as did another Graham bull, Columbus.  I actually liked the Columbus cattle better than the Clarks, but in my humble opinion, Clark was more widely used than Columbus and had a longer shelf life than Ayatollah.  Bapton Constructor was certainly the bull of his day, I included Louada Aristocrat, a son, and Louada Rothes King, a grandson, because of the number of calves I saw out of them when I was just getting started.  Artistocrat may not have had a huge international impact, but Billy Anderson was pretty tough to beat in the U.S. with his calves when I was young, probably the most influential bull of his time that I was directly exposed to.  This is a fun post, lots of different opinions, kind of like comparing Dimaggio to Pujols, Ripken to Gehrig.  I'm thinking about hosting a series of town hall meetings to settle the debate once and for all.