Shorthorn (period) heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

RedBulls

I didn't want to hijack Coyotes post about his truly nice set of Shorthorn x's, so will put this under a different thread. I took the camera along tonight when I went to check on the heifers water situation. Their only source is a small creek that's been frozen over for a couple weeks. Most of these are 1/2 sisters, all are at least somewhat related. I'm pleased with how they're doing on hay, salt and mineral only. The hay is about 25% trefoil, 75% grass and tested at 13.5%. They're feeling good and cycling regularly. The steer is also a 1/2 sibling. Hope this is a useable link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lleXffT77o

RedBulls

Mark,
Sorry the link didn't work. I don't have this stuff figured out yet! I took some still pictures also and will try to get some of those posted.

justintime

Ralph, the youtube link works for me. I watched it last night and again this morning. They are a very very good set of heifers and I am impressed with their condition especially when only on hay and mineral. They are also a very uniform group and should make awesome replacement females.

CAB

Video worked for me also & I have to agree with Grant very good set of replacement heifers & couldn't help noticing the beauty of the back ground. Where are you located?

RedBulls

Mark, I think I figured out how to post pictures again. It was getting too dark in this group shot, but shows their rib shape and indicates their forage capacity.

Thanks for the comments Grant and CAB.

CAB- we live about 40 miles south of Missoula, MT in  the Bitterroot valley between the Sapphire and Bitterroot Ranges. The Sapphires are in the background in this picture.

DSC_06232.jpg

RyanChandler

Very nice heifers.  What do you think the energy level is on that hay?  I know I would have to supplement my grass, even in the summer, w/ a few lbs of cotton seed cubes (38%) a day to hit 13.5%. 

r.n.reed

Very impressive Ralph! XBAR I can not speak to how these cattle have been fed and they are flat out good regardless, but many an old cattleman the likes of Conrad Kohrs and John Clay spoke to the amazing grass of the Bitterroot valley.

RyanChandler

I sure didn't mean to take anything away from the quality of those heifers by questioning the strength of the grass. I'm sure they have the capacity to excel in any environment. 

RedBulls

Thanks Ryan, Gary and Mark. I appreciate your comments and feedback. Ryan- I always like to know what they've been eating also. I'm sure the ADG on these won't set any records! The Net Energy-maint. (Mcal/lb) of the 13.5% CP trefoil/orchard grass hay tested 0.64 on a dry matter basis. TDN was 64.1 I'm pretty certain the hay up here is on average better than in TX. I feel that growing them slower on hay alone, makes them better replacements for the long haul.  I will try to get some pictures of their 1st and 2nd calf sisters with their new calves posted on here this weekend. With calving and feeding right now, there just aren't enough hours in the day. Thanks again!

J

JTM

Very nice heifers there Ralph! Love the flesh on them, volume, and consistency of type. What are the ages of these heifers and what do you think they are weighing? Was there a bull in there with them? What are the bloodlines?

I'm jealous and wish I had a group like this...  <cowboy>

RedBulls

JTM said:
Very nice heifers there Ralph! Love the flesh on them, volume, and consistency of type. What are the ages of these heifers and what do you think they are weighing? Was there a bull in there with them? What are the bloodlines?

I'm jealous and wish I had a group like this...  <cowboy>

JTM- Sorry for the delay. I typed out a reply this morning and when I hit "post" it told me that the session had timed out. These heifers are all right at a year old now. They will weigh from 750-800 lbs. There are 11 heifers in the group. 7 of them are Coalpit Creek Leader 6th daughters, 2 are grand daughters and two are ones I bought this fall that were sired by a bull we sold 3 years ago. The two pictured in profile are CPCL 6th's. Most are Dover Ranch influenced.

The cow below is the result of mating 1/2 sibs (both DRC 101VM sired). Her new calf was born last night and he weighed 84 lbs. actual sired by "Easy" or Coalpit Creek Leader 6th. We weigh every calf with a sling and scale. This calf is very typical. As you can see, they are built to be born easily. The vigor of these calves has been outstanding.

IMG151X_20140214_131140_145.jpg

This is a picture of some of this calf's paternal 1/2 brothers on pasture last fall

DSC_0447.jpg

As is evidenced in this photo, they develop their "volume and thickness" over time. I think this is as Nature intends.

Here is the sire on Summer pasture.

DSC_0084.jpg

J

JTM

Very nice! That grass looks so good I want a bite. I was wanting to know the weight and age so I could compare to my heifers sired by A&T Renegade which is the closest in genetics I get to these heifers. Most of mine will be a year in April so I feel a little better. lol. I'm just so glad to have found genetics like this and I'm so excited about the future! The Dover Ranch genetics are showing to be some very good real world performers...

Latest posts