Shorthorn Plus Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

nkotb

What is the best shorthorn plus bull?  I have a couple plus cows that we would like to breed to get plus calves out of, both could use a little powering up.  Moderate framed, fairly soggy middled cows, one had our high selling steer a couple years ago, just curious what bull is going to work best?

trevorgreycattleco

TG/RRA Complete 421U. He is available at cattlevisions and SEK Genetics. Sounds like he may be just what the doctor ordered. JTM on here owns him. 3/4 Shorthorn, 1/4 Red Angus

Attachments

• Mr Complete 1[1].jpg
    Mr Complete 1[1].jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 646

linnettejane

what are you wanting to do with the plus calves?  if you are wanting to show them, sell them for show, you might want to keep in mind, that alot of shows (especially the majors i believe, what i was told) require the animal be at least 50%...so if your cows are already pluses, you might have to use a purebred to keep the progeny % high enough for them to be able to show at the big shows....

something to think about...just because your calf has a set of plus papers, doesnt mean it can show in a plus show.........who'd of thunk it?  :-\

nkotb

I knew about the showing rules.  We will be trying to show the calves, the cows are 50-75% shorthorn.  I assumed a 50% shorthornX50% shorthorn would still give 50% papers on the calf?  Like the looks of Young Money and Crimson Tide, don't know if Young Money is a registered plus, but would be open to any other ideas.

kfacres

most any 'club calf' shorthorn bulls are plus...  most are about 7/8 or 3/4 in blood.. it's the maine in them...

does TH/ PHA matter? 

When you find one, be sure to post it== I'd be interested to see what you choose...

I think that if it were me, and I had some super sound, big bodied cows-- I'd try Moody BLues-- (already have). double dirty..

If I had big cows with performance.. I'd go Herfwave- also double dirty...

Big boned, sound, deep cows- with not too much BW behind them, Polar Express-- even though I'm about the only person in the world getting good calves from him- he's PHA...

Doc

trevorgreycattleco said:
B Good Red Warrior looks pretty neat to. Im not sure about semen on him. I think he is at Carolina Cattle Co?

Don't know that Randy & Steve have semen on him , but I think he's for sale. I think they have kept several dtrs & are keeping a son back to use.

Doc

nkotb said:
I knew about the showing rules.  We will be trying to show the calves, the cows are 50-75% shorthorn.  I assumed a 50% shorthornX50% shorthorn would still give 50% papers on the calf?  Like the looks of Young Money and Crimson Tide, don't know if Young Money is a registered plus, but would be open to any other ideas.

You are correct on the 50% deal. But even breeding your 75% cows to a purebred bull, you will still get a shorthorn plus calf.

stumpy

If TH isn't a concern the DF Vegas is a master at making saleable, winning plus calves. If you are worried about TH or PHA, look at FSF Hard line for a half blood option.Vegas semen is avaliable if you contact myself or Bob Duis.

shortdawg

stumpy said:
If TH isn't a concern the DF Vegas is a master at making saleable, winning plus calves. If you are worried about TH or PHA, look at FSF Hard line for a half blood option.Vegas semen is avaliable if you contact myself or Bob Duis.

I love Vegas on black cattle ! John Sullivan sure has turned out some good ones out of that mating - one is roaming my pasture now. @ Stumpy, I put those Vegas/Belle eggs in for Oct calves ( the ones from the Duis Sale). Should know how many stuck in a couple of weeks and the sex by March.

mark tenenbaum

stumpy said:
If TH isn't a concern the DF Vegas is a master at making saleable, winning plus calves. If you are worried about TH or PHA, look at FSF Hard line for a half blood option.Vegas semen is avaliable if you contact myself or Bob Duis.////  Yea,I saw Hardline as a long yearling breeding cows-he blew away everything at Ferrers JMO-including the full sib to Heatwave-his dam is one of the thickest cows of any breed Ive ever seen-his calves are pretty looking in the pictures,I havent seen any in person,but I would imagine they would have to be stout. PS-What about Jakes Blue Moon,or as mentioned,Young Money? 50% Shorthorn,on 50% Short-makes a 50% Shorthorn Plus O0

BA Maines

I like Manchild although he is THC.  I have seen a few really nice calves out of him.  We have a March calf out of him and she has won her division at every show she went to this past summer and fall. 
this picture was taken when she was 4 months old

Attachments

• 20110923123844-1.jpg
    20110923123844-1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 755

Doc

Cut the BS said:
the good thing about using plus bulls, atleast to the best of my knowlege.. is you never have to buy those stupid, waste of money, bigger screwing AI Certs.

I hate tell you are wrong , but you are(partially). If the calf is sired by AI & you mark the reg. app. as such , they won't register the calf until the owner of the sire releases it. The owner of the sire has to call the ASA & they will charge him $5 , unless he is just releasing a signature for a natural sired calf. Now wether he passes along the the $5 cost or not is up to him.

kfacres

Doc said:
Cut the BS said:
the good thing about using plus bulls, atleast to the best of my knowlege.. is you never have to buy those stupid, waste of money, bigger screwing AI Certs.

I hate tell you are wrong , but you are(partially). If the calf is sired by AI & you mark the reg. app. as such , they won't register the calf until the owner of the sire releases it. The owner of the sire has to call the ASA & they will charge him $5 , unless he is just releasing a signature for a natural sired calf. Now wether he passes along the the $5 cost or not is up to him.

I have never paid any AI Certs on Shorthorn plus bulls (less than 7/8), or purebred bulls when mated to cross cows for Shorthorn plus calves..  Obviously if you are an owner you don't pay them anytime... 

Doc

Cut the BS said:
Doc said:
Cut the BS said:

I have never paid any AI Certs on Shorthorn plus bulls (less than 7/8), or purebred bulls when mated to cross cows for Shorthorn plus calves..  Obviously if you are an owner you don't pay them anytime... 

I can't say anything on certs on less than 7/8's bulls because I have never used one. As far as using a purebred on cross calves for plus calves they are supposed to. I know if I own a bull and have him listed at $25/straw & $15 for cert. , then the ASA better not release a reg. paper sired by him unless I get the money for the cert. & release it to them. If it is written somewhere that there is no charge for plus calves sired by AI, I've never seen it.

frostback

Cut the BS said:
Doc said:
Cut the BS said:

I thought you dont register anything? I guess you would not pay if you do not register.

OH Breeder

trevorgreycattleco said:
B Good Red Warrior looks pretty neat to. Im not sure about semen on him. I think he is at Carolina Cattle Co?

Attachments

• B Good Red Warrior.jpg
    B Good Red Warrior.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 213

Latest posts