Shorthorn plus steer at nationals

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Those are some pretty strong accusations. If its true & your buddy has proof then he should take it to the Assoc & yes they should be dealt with. If not true then I would say that Zach has a slander lawsuit if he wanted to pursue it. It just sounds like to me another case of sour grapes, by somebody that got beat.

twistedhshowstock

It is very possible that a solid red cow bred to monopoly could throw a black and white calf.  Remember black is a dominant color, so it is highly likely to have black, and with the shorthorn and the menagerie of breeds in Monopoly's pedigree the white color pattern is also fairly common.  We are showing a solid red heifer that is out of an Angus X Foreplay cow and the original Heatwave so any educated guess would have said she should have been black to.  But with the composite breeding in these club calves you never know what you will get. Also I would say the TH status dont mean anything, there are a lot of people out there that purposely breed carriers to carriers because they feel that is the only way to get a good calf.
I know there are people who play these types of registration games and all, but I would be careful to have some hard facts before I go out there blasting these accusations against somebody publicly.  Its a good way to make yourself unliked, and it really isnt fair to accuse somebody who hasnt done anything wrong.  I dont know any of the parties involved here, but you could turn it around and say it sounds like someone is just a really sore loser.

Hoosier

Its funny that this accusation comes up now. That steer has been shown as a shorthorn plus since last november. I'm with Doc and twisted I think somebody is mad cause they got beat...and by a darn good one too!

Mainevent

I'm with twisted and doc, unless you have honest to heaven proof that this is true, take it to the association. If you don't, dont bring it up.

DLB

I agree...color doesn't mean anything when it comes to "crossed up breeds" like a ShorthornPlus (I have seen cream, yellow, red, black, roan, blue roan, and all sorts of colors for shortyplus cattle).  And frankly-the calf does have a shot of shorty in it....yes it is small (at least) but it does have shorthorn.  Monopoly goes back to HW who goes back to Heat Seeker-if I am correct was half shorthorn.  Also, if they steers do not have to be "registered" to show at the national show in the shorthorn plus division-then there is no reason to complain.  Shoot-here in Texas if it looks the part then it is the part. 

OH Breeder

DLB said:
I agree...color doesn't mean anything when it comes to "crossed up breeds" like a ShorthornPlus (I have seen cream, yellow, red, black, roan, blue roan, and all sorts of colors for shortyplus cattle).  And frankly-the calf does have a shot of shorty in it....yes it is small (at least) but it does have shorthorn.  Monopoly goes back to HW who goes back to Heat Seeker-if I am correct was half shorthorn.  Also, if they steers do not have to be "registered" to show at the national show in the shorthorn plus division-then there is no reason to complain.  Shoot-here in Texas if it looks the part then it is the part.  

Guidelines for the 2010-2011 show season:
All ShorthornPlus animals must be 50% Shorthorn blood concentration or higher to be eligible to show at a sanctioned ASA show.
*xAR51405 Champion Shorthorn Plus Steer at Junior Nationals

Heat Seeker- 50% Heat Wave 25% Monopoly 12.5% is less than registerable percentage.

DLB

All ShorthornPlus animals must be 50% Shorthorn blood concentration or higher to be eligible to show at a sanctioned ASA show.

Well, on that note-then someone either messed up, cheated, or doesn't have all of the facts straight....I don't know.  If it was someone who got beat (fair and sqaure) then yes they have a case of sour grapes.  If it is 100% that the calf doesn't meet the GUIDELINES set by the ASA/Show then there is a case.  If they calves are required to have 50% shorthorn but aren't required to be papered-then there is chance of cheating and the ASA needs to fix that to avoid further issues. 

OH Breeder

DLB said:

Well, on that note-then someone either messed up, cheated, or doesn't have all of the facts straight....I don't know.  If it was someone who got beat (fair and sqaure) then yes they have a case of sour grapes.  If it is 100% that the calf doesn't meet the GUIDELINES set by the ASA/Show then there is a case.  If they calves are required to have 50% shorthorn but aren't required to be papered-then there is chance of cheating and the ASA needs to fix that to avoid further issues. 

HEY DLB

I am not saying one way or another. Do not know enough about this to even comment about this perticular situation. I just wanted to clarify your questions/commdent. The steer gets his 50% from his momma in this case if you look up his registration. Monopoly is not registered at all with ASA.

Will

We bred two cows to headliner last year and we got a solid black calf out of a roan cow and a solid red calf out of a half angus half shorthorn cow. 

lj113

I think someone got beat and the only thing they could think to do about it was get on here and gripe. Very mature, even better to teach jrs. the thing to do when you get beat is find an excuse or bring someone else down.

rocknmranch

is there more to this story? Which steer are they taking about? Who got beat that felt they shouldn't have?

Making false accusations will get you into a whole lot of hurt. Is it worth it?

vc

Well all I see now is a  .  were the text was so they must have figured they went off the handle and retracted their statement.
Some times Ii find it best to type it all out in the reply area, then deleted it and never post it, get it off your chest with out looking like an idiot.

Latest posts